Spring Competition

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What position battles are you most looking forward to? There is no shortage of opportunity for players to emerge this spring.

In my opinion...

Players who will start in the fall, barring injury - JT, Burden, Jeune, Gamble, Freeman, Butker. It would be a major (welcome?) upset if these guys are not 1st team. I expect most of our captains to come from this group, if not all.

The rest are up for grabs (or should be in my mind) including some fan favorites. Just to get it out of the way, here's the mandatory "all positions are up for grabs" disclaimer. Realistically that comes with context that past performance also means something.

So what say you?

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be watching:
OL - Can C Griffin win tackle job back, S Devine lock down OG spot.
WR - Agree, Jeune pretty much a lock, but next two WR spots will be battle to watch
LB - will B Mitchell become next lock as starter

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
DE - Think Freeman is a lock, but there should be a good competition between Rod, Branch, Woods, and Saint-Amour
AB - With all the depth we have here, who steps up and stands out?
S - Gray should be a starter, but the other Safety position should be a good competition

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Every year is a new beginning. Every "has a chance" to start.

Would love to see 7 - 8 players on both lines that are so competent and good that there is no drop off in play that we can keep them fresh and be in the running to be ALL Conference players. (okay most fans every where want the same, just hope it happens for GT this year.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Every year is a new beginning. Every "has a chance" to start.

Would love to see 7 - 8 players on both lines that are so competent and good that there is no drop off in play that we can keep them fresh and be in the running to be ALL Conference players. (okay most fans every where want the same, just hope it happens for GT this year.)
Coaches always say that because it is right out of coaching handbook, 1st edition. In reality so many combinations of performance come in to play as to make it meaningless. A returning starter has to screw up, yes, even after a 3-9 year, or a newcomer has to put the lights out from day one, or some combination of the two. Fact is it is a starter's job to lose going in. Although I agree, everybody should have that chance, and that does not exclude the QB position, which went from a year of astounding option play to mediocrity, whatever the underlying cause. But somebody new would have to do what nobody new has ever done with the position, at least at GT. I'd go with Cusejacket's forecast as much as any, though. I just want to see an end to or at least a moderation of injuries, lots of speed on the field, and return to blocking assignments understanding. Then, let's take our chances.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think Freeman's spot should be up for grabs. He's not lighting it up as a pass rusher.

At 3-9 everyone's starting position should be up for grabs & I mean everyone's.

Hell some coaches job should be on the line.
Skeptic covered a lot of ground for me in his post which echoes my sentiments. I agree at 3-9 every starting position should be and will be up for grabs. Same goes if we were 9-3. I'll be shocked if CPJ doesn't say as much as he has every spring.

So moving past that, how likely is it in your mind that someone unseats Freeman? I agree he didn't generate a lot of heat last year, however I don't expect to see a clear successor this spring, thus Freeman remains penciled in at starter.

Still hoping it will be a competition there and everywhere.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What position battles are you most looking forward to? There is no shortage of opportunity for players to emerge this spring.

In my opinion...

Players who will start in the fall, barring injury - JT, Burden, Jeune, Gamble, Freeman, Butker. It would be a major (welcome?) upset if these guys are not 1st team. I expect most of our captains to come from this group, if not all.

The rest are up for grabs (or should be in my mind) including some fan favorites. Just to get it out of the way, here's the mandatory "all positions are up for grabs" disclaimer. Realistically that comes with context that past performance also means something.

So what say you?

Hard to put Keshun in the "start" pile with only 2 sacks last year. I agree he will probably end up starting, but I would expect Saint-Amour and Woods to get pretty strong looks, maybe Desmond Branch too? I also wouldn't say its impossible that Keshun moves to the other side of the D line if he puts on some more pounds.

Even on the OL I'd expect there to be some shifting around. The only "locks" to me are JT at QB, Jeune at WR, Davis at LB, Gamble at DT, and Butker at K. I'd assume that Burden will start, just not 100% clear where (assume at center but you never know). I'll throw Devine in there too in terms of someone who is a lock.

To answer your questions, the battles I'm most looking forward to are:

Who ends up where on the OL
Who gets the other WR slot opposite Jeune - Really can't wait to see if others can jump over Stewart
Sorting out the mess at AB and BB. Marshall probably has the upper hand at BB, but there are a lot of backs trying to get PT. I'd bet that ends up like the split we had 3-4 years ago. AB I'd assume goes Lynch and Green, but we shall see.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Oh and who wins back up QB should be interesting.

I guess that has been settled since Campbell is out for the spring after having wrist surgery.

Keshun is a tough call. Personally, I would like for him to get work at SLB, especially with 4 of the 6 teams being 21 personnel power football teams. Plus I'm all for getting the best 11 on the field, so it would be great if we can get Keshun, Simmons, Anree on the field at the same time.

Interested in the middle of our team. QB & C is set, but BBack is loaded not much separation. Still thinks MMarshall #1. Defense is a whole different matter. Are we going to go the loyalty route and place Kallon at 1st team NT? Did KCH do enough to get the nod? Brant did a great job last season but, a LB is only as good as his running mates. Will PJ step up his game up because I felt he regressed a lot? At Safety, most would agree we have a stud in Gray, but very unsure about FS. Will Corey Griffin step up or will Jalen be the ranging safety that will limit the big plays? A lot of questions not many answers

Oline probably has the best competition. Who will have the biggest impact the quickest: Sewak or West? This the biggest determinant on whether this upcoming season will be 8-11 wins or <6 wins.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tangent: Any news on how Cottrell's recovery is going? IIRC, he had clearly separated himself last year before getting hurt.

ilove, I have been waiting impatiently for a long time to see Cottrell. We'll have to wait longer still. I read not too long ago that his rehab in not far enough along for him to practice in the spring. It'll be August.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Will be shocked if OL isn't multiple times improved over last year this coming season

Also expect DL to be improved even tho we lost Gotsis. I think we are starting to get the correct sized guys for the line to be a force. That being said , it should be interesting to see how St Amour looks and how Branch looks this spring.

I really think BB is going to be a very interesting battle. Leggett and Mills and Quaide all being mixed in with Marshall should be entertaining.