Spring Competition

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Putting? There's no putting in football! Hit the sleds!!

All joking aside. It's good to see the guys chilling and gelling here and in the tug of war, etc....that's as important to team building as hitting the weights together at 0430. Probably more so.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Putting? There's no putting in football! Hit the sleds!!

All joking aside. It's good to see the guys chilling and gelling here and in the tug of war, etc....that's as important to team building as hitting the weights together at 0430. Probably more so.
Funny you should say that.

When I was a child I often heard adults around me (usually uga fans) making fun of Bobby Dodd because his teams often played volleyball together to relax, especially on road trips. Now I realize this was one more way he was ahead of his time when it comes to understanding what makes a team.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
In my opinion I think the reason PJ Davis's production dropped off was because I think last season he was to heavy. As a sophomore he played much better at the 218-220 lbs range. This past season I think he was closer to 228-230, a lot of weight for a guy 5'10-5'11 range. Would love to see him get that weight back down. His speed and instincts are what helped him in 2014.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion I think the reason PJ Davis's production dropped off was because I think last season he was to heavy. As a sophomore he played much better at the 218-220 lbs range. This past season I think he was closer to 228-230, a lot of weight for a guy 5'10-5'11 range. Would love to see him get that weight back down. His speed and instincts are what helped him in 2014.
Got to see pj come off field after being injured. He refused to stay on bench. Down the stretch he played a step slow.
Will be back this year and imo will cause turn overs and with better technique get to qb on blitz.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Do we expect JJ Green to come in and immediately compete for a starting slot? Any word on how he looks last year while redshirting?

Also, freaking Benson is a big boy.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
If i remember correctly, last time CPJ spoke at length about the team, he said the starting 3 ABs would be JJ, Cottrell, and possibly Lynn, with the 4th spot to be sorted out in the spring and fall.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ never said a group of players would be the starter at AB in 2016. He just said there were some guys that were playing this year that might not be playing as much because of the guys that were redshirting/injured were really good players. That's when he went on to mention JJ Green, Cottrell, etc. He was highly complementary of Cottrell (Paraphrase "probably our best AB before he got hurt") and stated he was slated for a starting spot in 2015 if it had not been for injury. At the end of the day, competition and their ability will separate them and dictate playing time.

I'm excited about the AB position because the type of skillsets we're seeing with that group is unlike previous AB groups. We know the top 4 guys at AB play a LOT...will be interesting to see which 4 they nd up being.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We know the top 4 guys at AB play a LOT...will be interesting to see which 4 they nd up being.
This is one more time when I am glad I am not a coach. The talent is there in this group but sorting out the depth chart and understanding who is going to be best in game situations looks like a complex task.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This is one more time when I am glad I am not a coach. The talent is there in this group but sorting out the depth chart and understanding who is going to be best in game situations looks like a complex task.

Actually you can usually find the skilled O players with pretty good accuracy based on practice, but finding the D players, especially the front 7, requires game experience. The ability to find the ball and flow to it while shedding/avoiding blockers is a skill which only shows up only in real game experience. I could usually set my O depth by the first game but D usually required at least 3 games to find the right players and positions. Obviously there are always exceptions and late bloomers (S. Days for example).