Specific questions about CPJ backing

I don't have "a book", whatever that means. But look at one of the earlier posts comparing salaries. Even if we are close in size to the staffs of other schools, those other schools are apparently paying those staffs a helluva lot more than Tech is paying ours.
lol...you said "not in my book it doesn't". I was just jokingly responding to that particular statement.

But again, you keep trying to hammer this point home to me but fail to understand that I am not making an argument one way or the other here. You keep trying to prove something to me in a discussion that I am not taking part in. All I did was point out that the numbers were wrong for Tech on that chart.

lol...you said "not in my book it doesn't". I was just jokingly responding to that particular statement.

But again, you keep trying to hammer this point home to me but fail to understand that I am not making an argument one way or the other here. You keep trying to prove something to me in a discussion that I am not taking part in. All I did was point out that the numbers were wrong for Tech on that chart.
you said "not in my book it doesn't"
Oops. LOL

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We haven't been anywhere close to support staff until maybe very recently. Having said that, if it's translating to improvement in some way, it has yet to show up.
This is the first year with the added support staff, so I don’t think we have seen improvements because there hasn’t been time for it.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
You do realize that the number of coaches is limited by the NCAA right? The support staff is not. So by definition to hire one or the other someone must go. We're not "short" any coaches.

True on the coaching staff #s.

For a comparison re: support staff... Tyson Summers is in an "off-field" supporting staff role at UGAg. He can also recruit. Say what you will about his time as HC at GSU, but that is a former NCAA HEAD FOOTBALL COACH that works for UGAg but doesn't even get on the field. I wonder who is working on film, social media, etc. for GT? You think we got any former NCAA head coaches?

This is what we are up against.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It goes beyond the number of employees in the system. As @SidewalkJacket alluded to, the quality of those employees matters as well. Factories can afford to pay top dollar for the best assistants and personnel money can buy. Schools like GT give them their start, and if they are any good, they promote themselves into greener pastures that pay better. Just today the AJC ran an article about a rising star in the Clemson Athletic Dept who started at GT and is a GT grad. Can't blame him for following the money.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...raham-neff-flourishes/6IjudcctvOSsOcA48I3HkP/

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It goes beyond the number of employees in the system. As @SidewalkJacket alluded to, the quality of those employees matters as well. Factories can afford to pay top dollar for the best assistants and personnel money can buy. Schools like GT give them their start, and if they are any good, they promote themselves into greener pastures that pay better. Just today the AJC ran an article about a rising star in the Clemson Athletic Dept who started at GT and is a GT grad. Can't blame him for following the money.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...raham-neff-flourishes/6IjudcctvOSsOcA48I3HkP/

Radakovich likes former GT people. He's hired multiple people from here.

Maybe GT needs to do some "money ball" personnel hires. For example: When Mike Gundy at Oklahoma State needed an OC when Todd Monken left for USM, instead of looking at guys in the FBS or P5 level, he went all the down to D2 schools. He found Yurcich who is has made their offense one of the best in the nation. Yurcich was making 50K a year at Shippensburg as their OC! When James Franklin needed an OC a few years ago, he hired Joe Morhead from Fordham. Chip Kelly was from New Hampshire when Mike Bellotti Hired him at Oregon. There are top quality coaches at all levels...heck, Gus Malzahn was a high school head coach when Arkansas hired him.

I think CPJ going to App State to hire CNW was a good step in the "money ball" direction. Hiring FBS retreads didn't work out well for him. CNW was a FBS guy, but App State was an FCS school when CNW was hired.

Because of our restraints, GT has to get creative. Recruiting is an obvious area, but so is hiring personnel throughout the football program.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
More fans and more following mean more $$. We do not have a large fan base. We do have some extremely well off alumni, but many of them are more into academics than they are of athletics. Unless we can grow our fan base, and it is my opinion that the opposite is happening - it is shrinking, we will NEVER be able to provide our coaches the level of support that a factory or near-factory school gets.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I believe I saw bama pays the strength and conditioning coach 420k a year... let that sink in.... we probably pay our guy 70-100k a year lol

And, this is an example of the difference between an NFL factory school that has probably a fan following of several million people vs. our STEM school that probably has a fan following in the hundreds of thousands, and many of those are geographically challenged to support an Atlanta based football team.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
True on the coaching staff #s.

For a comparison re: support staff... Tyson Summers is in an "off-field" supporting staff role at UGAg. He can also recruit. Say what you will about his time as HC at GSU, but that is a former NCAA HEAD FOOTBALL COACH that works for UGAg but doesn't even get on the field. I wonder who is working on film, social media, etc. for GT? You think we got any former NCAA head coaches?

This is what we are up against.

Exactly. Bama has multiple former head coaches on the support staff as "quality control". They have something like 50 combined coaches and staffers. So does UGA. GT has what maybe 15? CPJ can't control that and it's not his choice, has everything to do with budget which is squarely on the AD to fix/change.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
50 coaches on staff? That is insane. When you have more coaches off the field than players on it, something is out of wack.

Call me old school, but that is not football to me.

Not all of them are coaches. The have something like 29 football staff that includes people like their current OC who was a football staff member prior to this year. I think Hugh Freeze (spelling) is on "staff" there now.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Not all of them are coaches. The have something like 29 football staff that includes people like their current OC who was a football staff member prior to this year. I think Hugh Freeze (spelling) is on "staff" there now.

Bama is a place to go to be on a roster get paid 6 figures and be the water purifying expert. lol

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
xactly. Bama has multiple former head coaches on the support staff as "quality control". They have something like 50 combined coaches and staffers. So does UGA. GT has what maybe 15? CPJ can't control that and it's not his choice, has everything to do with budget which is squarely on the AD to fix/change.

I'm not sure we need to keep up with Bama. First, these guys are paid about $45,000 a year. My understanding is that Saban keeps them as coaches in waiting, so that if someone leaves, he just inserts a new one. He hired Butch Jones and no one knows why ... even Bama folks are mystified at that call.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is the first year with the added support staff, so I don’t think we have seen improvements because there hasn’t been time for it.

Stansbury has stepped in the right direction, but we need a lot more than the four or five he's added. Need more like twenty-four or twenty-five. If we have to cut back on other projects, so be it. Recruiting should take precedence. I know the other projects help recruiting, but there's a lot more bang for the buck in concentrating directly on recruiting. Our facilities have seen improvement, and now it's time to ramp up the recruiting budget and staff, IMO.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I read in the Birmingham News that Alabama has 99 players on their roster and each one has TWO coaches. One coaches the player down the line and the other from the side. They also each have a nutritionist and a food taste-tester. To keep them healthy during the season, Saban also assigns each player a stand-in to have sex with their girlfriend so they aren't distracted.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ollege-football-support-staff-0709-story.html

From last year, said Alabama and Georgia support staff at 29 and the clear implication from the article was that it was all in recruiting, that is not counting the volunteers. Georgia’s current head started as a student at Alabama cutting up film on high school players and, I would have to believe, as such would not be counted in those numbers

I would like to know about these "volunteeers".I've been yelling for the staff to somehow incorporate Alumni groups around the nation as "spotters" for potential recruits.Never have heard of this happening.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
With the new increase in recruiting staff, we have like five (?) now. Compared to the 30 to 40 at Alabama and Georgia. So we have had an increase, true, but we are woefully behind.

How many does South Florida and Pitt have?