Specific questions about CPJ backing

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Cpj won't hire an oc or special teams coach, so there's 2 coaches we're short of.
Not quite sure if you’re being serious or not, but we certainly are not short on our allotted coaching staff.

http://ramblinwreck.com/staff-directory/

Not all teams use special teams coach, so I am not sure of how necessary that really is. Given our offenses general performance, I think we could continue to work without. Monetarily speaking, I am not sure how we’d be able to pay for an OC given our current budget. Considering CPJ performs head coach and OC duties, his salary isn’t very much.

What I am not sure of is if corners and safeties need separate coaches. This is just not something I am familiar with. I know we have two line coaches because the line has been an issue. Considering it seems like there are still issues with the line, I am not certain I’d call two line coaches a success yet.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This is what I posted in another thread @MediocreEngineer?

So, GT has been in the bottom half in funding for the football program out of all power 5 schools, and 2nd to last in the ACC. Our locker room had not been updated since the early 2000’s until this past year. Russell uniforms, mediatory calculus, EXTREMELY understaffed and when I say extremely I mean 3 support staff members (until this year, now 6 I think) compared to teams with over 30. These are all thing which can majorly hurt recruiting, and the worse the recruiting the worse the team, generally. I’m glad we have T Stan now, he’s really been doing some good things for the program imo. Basically we were/are a Volkswagen while the rest were either Toyota’s or Lamborghinis.

I will say I still believe in this team though, and I think they can close the season out with a bang. We aren’t as bad as we’ve shown the past two weeks imo, we just need some things to change.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

stech81

Helluva Engineer
That link said they only have 19 support staff.

That 45 number is not as important as the support staff. That is the number we need to try to increase for recruiting and player management. The number of coaches, and strength coaches, and grad assistants is a static number.
And now you know why I went to Southern Tech and not Georgia Tech I don't read everything . :)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That chart isn't accurate. We always carry a number of graduate assistants. This year we have 4. We also have more than one in "strength and conditioning". Our director of player development (Sisk) has at least 3 assistants.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That chart isn't accurate. We always carry a number of graduate assistants. This year we have 4. We also have more than one in "strength and conditioning". Our director of player development (Sisk) has at least 3 assistants.
That’s probably true for every team then, regardless we are WAY behind most programs.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I had considered starting a thread that similarly tried to take an objective look at CPJ's tenure at GT, and his likely future.

If you've followed my posting history, I've been a CPJ supporter from the beginning. Not b/c I am some option fanboy, but because I've followed his entire career, and the way he goes about his business. I had friends who played for him who led me to believe he was a hardass, but he was consistent, fair, loved his players, worked for their success in life regardless of football, and knew how to win. He has proven that at GT. I respect the fact that his last two coaching stops were challenging environments, to say the least.

I believe he was the absolute best hire we could have made in 2008. He's had some lows that were lower than the CCG years, but his highs are higher, and for that, I am grateful. Being a GT fan is hard, and the three wins over UGAg (along with 2 that we had a shot to win and should've), ACC title appearances, Orange Bowl wins and exciting brand of offensive football have made the lows well worth it, to me.

The point of this thread is about support, however, and I am one who believes that GT has been operating with their hands tied behind their back in football for years. TS clearly sees this and is taking steps to remedy it. Is it too little too late?

Even for a die-hard CPJ guy like me, I realize that the timing may simply be too late. The $$$ and recruiting efforts will pay off, but that may take a couple of years. Even when they do, GT is merely putting itself in a slightly-shallower hole compared to the programs everyone expects us to compete with. We will still be miles behind CU and UGAg when those efforts are complete.

The reality of this season is that CNW needs time, Tobias Oliver, James Graham, Lucas Johnson, Jordan Yates (the next generation of QBs) need time, and TS's efforts need time. But now we're 1-2, about to face CU, and it feels like time has run out. My heart says hold on a little longer, fight through 2018, and see CPJ catch his second wind and take GT to perennial top 15 territory. My head fears the combination of fan frustration, low attendance, and a third down year out of 4 (despite circumstances) will do him in. I believe TS wants to give him more time to succeed with more comparable resources. But butts in seats matter. It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if GT moved on from CPJ sooner than later, but I hope people here would recognize all he did here, how he did it, and the hurdles he overcame to do it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I actually count 30 according to GT Athletics website:

http://ramblinwreck.com/staff-directory/

The directory doesn't even include strength and conditioning coach and S&C assistants who we have several of. So GT is actually over 30.

I'm taking an educated guess that the linked list isn't accurate not only for GT, but other schools. I'm 100% certain every school has GAs, even though the list doesn't have GAs counted for several schools. With respect to that list, I'd pay attention more to the number of Off Field Recruiting staff numbers. I'm going to assume every school is going to fully staff for on the field positions, GAs, S&C (though some schools may have a few more).

I think schools like Clemson, FSU, Bama have more recruiting staff help, and more coaches labled "offensive/defensive quality control" type personnel. But if you look at the number of recruiting personnel, GT is about where every school NOT a factory is.

Here's the thing: Any reasonable GT fan understands that GT is not going to out recruit the factories of the world from a $$$ standpoint, and we can't sign some of the same kids as the factories of the world because our academic requirements are higher. The thing is, that has always been the case. I think any reasonable understands that GT isn't going to win against those teams on the field a majority of the time because of that. Heck, CPJ is like 3-7 against UGA and he's a saint for it. That's not the issue here. The issue is when did GT start feeling it's OK to lose to the Dukes/USFs/Pitt level schools of the world? Those are the type of teams GT fans could count on for our 6 wins towards a bowl game, but now it seems we struggle with those teams as well.

I don't know if fans have been paying attention, but more money has been invested into our program in the last 10 years under CPJ than the previous 30 years combined. GT had an indoor practice facility built BEFORE UGA/FSU/Miami and plenty of other schools. In the city of Atlanta no less. Let that sink in. GT isn't as destitute as some of us want to think as to make our mind numbing losses excusable.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Count the the number of khaki pants on the opposite sideline Saturday. Seriously, see if you can. Programs like those spend $30 million a year on football...MORE than we do. Some of those schools including everybody push 80-100 staff when we are barely past 20.

I believe I saw bama pays the strength and conditioning coach 420k a year... let that sink in.... we probably pay our guy 70-100k a year lol