Specific questions about CPJ backing

alagold

Helluva Engineer
IMO, there are three defining moments in the last 50 years of college football:

-- Integration in 60-70s
-- Introduction of APR in mid-2000s
-- Conference networks/TV money in mid-2010s

Each of these significantly shifted the landscape of the sport, and there are schools/conferences who adapted and thrived while others were behind the curve.

Specifically for APR, you could not longer "hide" kids taking a bunch of electives who need 100 more hours when 4 years of eligibility expired. The schools that adapted to the rule created new majors to continue to hide players. Georgia Tech did not (and we should take pride in that).

With SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 networks launching, it created a new stream of revenue (not so much for P-12 though) that hadn't previously existed. You take an extra 5-15 million per year, and there's a lot more money to invest in facilities, staffing, amenities. That created a new arms race, and for the most part the ACC was left behind.

It's shocking to think when Richt was hired by Georgia in 2001, O'Leary had a higher salary. The total budgets were about the same. Ralph Friedgen was once among the highest-paid coordinators in that nation. That era is not long gone.

The gap between the top 10-15 programs and everyone else has grown so wide over that last 10 years. Georgia Tech is like a lot of other Power-5 schools -- you want to win more than you lose and hope to catch lightning in a bottle every 4-5 years to win 9, 10 or 11 games.

There are a lot of approaches to compete, and most involve throwing money and people at the problem. Like any business, that works if you spend in the right areas and hire the right people. Otherwise, it's rinse and repeat.

I would like to add another very important change in college football in the 70s.

That was the change on how Off linemen could use the hands to block.This meant that huge guys could form a wall to block for a passer.So passing exploded to where today that it dominates.(In the Pros most teams ignore running backs to draft.) We are are now on the wrong side of the culture.PJ got by with a running OFF when it was new and different.Now it is just different and odd.Hardly any hi schools run it and few want to play in it.Also it hurts the GT def in practice in seeing lesser passing/WR talent and approach.--- This just the way it is.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I ran these numbers in a thread about the south florida game. Our football budget is 17 million theirs is 10.6 and only because strong is being paid by texas or it would match ours.

Hold on. That is pretty significant difference in our favor. We spend 58% more than them on football.

We also have plenty of other advantages over them such as playing in power 5, fan support, tradition etc.

There is zero reason for us to lose to South Florida.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Also it hurts the GT def in practice in seeing lesser passing/WR talent and approach.--- This just the way it is.

Shh...don't say that too loudly. Some on here want to believe the passing and receiving talent on the team is equal to most teams on our schedule, therefore practicing against them gives our defense an equal challenge on Saturdays.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Hold on. That is pretty significant difference in our favor. We spend 58% more than them on football.

We also have plenty of other advantages over them such as playing in power 5, fan support, tradition etc.

There is zero reason for us to lose to South Florida.

If we had lost to USF more than once you would have a point. The only concerning thing about losing to USF is that it comes with a whole bunch of other losses. Teams lose to teams they shouldn't all the time.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah. So does that justify getting beat by them in your mind?

Justify? No. As I said to your other post the problem that I have with losing to USF is that we are coupling that with a whole bunch of losses. Not that we lost 1 game to a decent lower level program. In general, GT should be expected to beat USF.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Personally, all this needs to be banned. Even Alabama. Just cap it ... All D-1 programs to have a max staff of X. Otherwise, where does it stop?
That was brought up I think this past off season NCAA meetings but I think it got tabled for the year. They realize that unless you spending tons of $ you can’t compete. Outside of a few I don’t know how it will last for some.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Personally, all this needs to be banned. Even Alabama. Just cap it ... All D-1 programs to have a max staff of X. Otherwise, where does it stop?

Agree.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...all-staff-sizes-survey-shows-inconsistencies/

Fortunately, they have been talking about it the last offseason. I think they'll move in the direction of capping personnel...eventually. They have to. Maybe 5% of the schools that play FBS football can realistically afford to have bloated staffs like 'Bama and Notre Dame. The other 95% would move to something more equitable. You can't on one hand say colleges shouldn't pay athletes because you want to even the playing field, but on the other hand have schools that employ 20 more people than the rest of the schools in the conference. Other college sports have a hard cap, and pretty soon college football will as well.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
According to the link posted earlier, GT has the smallest FB staff in the ACC and that's after including the newly added staffers. Of course like the article mentions, there are credibility issues with the NCAA survey.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have been of the opinion for a long time that the best approach would either be to go all in and make Sports or Football a subject you could major in, or go full amateur.

Going all in and allowing kids to major in Football would eliminate the hypocritical "student-athlete" mantra that exists on many TV Broadcasts (but few in real life). Then force a profit-sharing scheme like the NFL and you're all good to go.

The amateur approach is extremely hard to govern when there is so much money sloshing about. It's like saying you're going to drain the swamp that is DC with all the money floating around up there....all you can really do it perhaps control the nozzle a little bit. The swamp will go on and on and on....

Shh...don't say that too loudly. Some on here want to believe the passing and receiving talent on the team is equal to most teams on our schedule, therefore practicing against them gives our defense an equal challenge on Saturdays.

some of our fans have to be hurting themselves, the way they are now bending over backwards to excuse the deficiencies of the CPJ System. I honestly wonder how many losing seasons we need to have before this shrinking group of fans comes to the conclusion most of the rest of the fan base has?

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
That link said they only have 19 support staff.

That 45 number is not as important as the support staff. That is the number we need to try to increase for recruiting and player management. The number of coaches, and strength coaches, and grad assistants is a static number.
It does not matter you are not going to get enough quality players to be successful running this offense

herb

Helluva Engineer
some of our fans have to be hurting themselves, the way they are now bending over backwards to excuse the deficiencies of the CPJ System. I honestly wonder how many losing seasons we need to have before this shrinking group of fans comes to the conclusion most of the rest of the fan base has?

Without change in these areas, you can make all the coaching changes you want and you are unlikely to see much difference. One, you aren’t going to get someone you really want without some of these changes, see the demands made and changes received per the demands 72 miles to the east two and a half years ago years ago