Specific questions about CPJ backing

MediocreEngineer?

Georgia Tech Fan
I am hoping to find specific answers to the following questions, as opposed to a generic statement that Paul Johnson isn't getting the support (presumably form the athletic department) that he needs.
  • Can someone please elaborate on what is meant by lack of support?
  • Specifically, who is not giving him support?
  • What is the nature of the lack of support (money, scholarships, resources, et cetera)?
  • Does anyone know why this is happening?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping to find specific answers to the following questions, as opposed to a generic statement that Paul Johnson isn't getting the support (presumably form the athletic department) that he needs.
  • What is the nature of the lack of support (money, scholarships, resources, et cetera)?

1. Staffing
2. Academic Exceptions, though admittedly better
3. Facilities, in progress
4. Staff Salaries
Those are pretty much the major ones

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you are misinterpreting a general feeling among some of the fanbase that no longer support Coach Johnson with an actual specific withdrawal of something tangible such as money, salary, staff or facilities. In fact the opposite appears to be true with more and more resources being provided to Coach Johnson and his program. Like much of modern day reporting, people tend to confuse feelings with reality.

Go Jackets!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think you are misinterpreting a general feeling among some of the fanbase that no longer support Coach Johnson with an actual specific withdrawal of something tangible such as money, salary, staff or facilities. In fact the opposite appears to be true with more and more resources being provided to Coach Johnson and his program. Like much of modern day reporting, people tend to confuse feelings with reality.

Go Jackets!

FINALLY being provided, perpetual catch up mode

FTFY

MediocreEngineer?

Georgia Tech Fan
I am trying to clarify that, Jerry. So the football program is still being fully financially backed as usual and he is becoming less effective with it? Or is the AD allocating football revenue to sports no one cares about like women's lacrosse and soccer in order to broaden the range of offerings?

herb

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to clarify that, Jerry. So the football program is still being fully financially backed as usual and he is becoming less effective with it? Or is the AD allocating football revenue to sports no one cares about like women's lacrosse and soccer in order to broaden the range of offerings?

With the new increase in recruiting staff, we have like five (?) now. Compared to the 30 to 40 at Alabama and Georgia. So we have had an increase, true, but we are woefully behind.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
With the new increase in recruiting staff, we have like five (?) now. Compared to the 30 to 40 at Alabama and Georgia. So we have had an increase, true, but we are woefully behind.

Does Alabama have 40? I just checked Notre Dame and they show five as well.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have inside knowledge but in general terms. We had an absentee AD for 3 years. One of the smallest recruiting staff. We just add 4 people last year. Smaller support staff, we all know how bad the old locker room was can’t imagine how other facilities look. It has been said that he was limited $wise on staff hires and that some of The DC hires were limited due $. As to why I only guesses. Some of the $ problems may be due firing BB coaches and the last AD not being around. I think TS is trying to fix a lot of this but it takes time. A comment was make during a off season post that I think ones that only post during the season probably missed was something along the line that A disservice had been done to CPJ by not giving him the support he needs. He was handicapped by the last AD and other things and I think it took TS coming in to open people’s eyes. I know some people want him gone but I think he deserves and will get more time to see what he can do when we have a recruiting staff of more that guy or two to recruit. I think this is what he means when he talks about expectations and commitment. You can have a 10 win expectation but your commitment is at the bottom of the ACC. Sorry a little long

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was asking previous AD's for bigger recruiting budget. Only the current AD has begun to address this. We shall see if we can continue to improve there.

Clemson has a football staff of 46. GT only 30. This is just another example of the discrepancy between us and "elite" programs.

I am not sure how we compare against schools like Pitt/UNC/Duke who seem to be performing on a similar level to us over the previous few years.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Does Alabama have 40? I just checked Notre Dame and they show five as well.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ollege-football-support-staff-0709-story.html

From last year, said Alabama and Georgia support staff at 29 and the clear implication from the article was that it was all in recruiting, that is not counting the volunteers. Georgia’s current head started as a student at Alabama cutting up film on high school players and, I would have to believe, as such would not be counted in those numbers

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ollege-football-support-staff-0709-story.html

From last year, said Alabama and Georgia support staff at 29 and the clear implication from the article was that it was all in recruiting, that is not counting the volunteers. Georgia’s current head started as a student at Alabama cutting up film on high school players and, I would have to believe, as such would not be counted in those numbers
Thanks for the article. This really highlights the discrepancy between larger and smaller programs.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

You can take the question mark out of your profile name. ;)

Deleted member 2897

Count the the number of khaki pants on the opposite sideline Saturday. Seriously, see if you can. Programs like those spend $30 million a year on football...MORE than we do. Some of those schools including everybody push 80-100 staff when we are barely past 20.

No, he is raising money specifically targeted at football, which has never been done before.