Specific questions about CPJ backing

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Isn't our Booster Club Alexander-Tharpe? It certainly raises money and contributes....

No. It raises money but the way it does so is the same as say, Alabama. You buy your seat and pay a charge for it to the AA to support the grants with the donation set according to the seat you chose. On TOP of that, Alabama operates a network of local chapters that meet, raise money, etc ... and they send that $$ to Tuscaloosa. And it's a lot.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Who and how do we contact someone to possibly get this going???

I've been asking that for 40 years. There's never been any interest to do so. Maybe now that they really need it, TStan would look at it. But ... I hear that he's going after the Big Fish for Big Donations. So, I don't expect it to happen.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of hypotheticals here, but let's say CPJ had all the backing (money, coaches etc) that say Clemson or UGA have, would we get better results out of him? I love the TO and it's shown at times in his Tenure that it can work great, but it also has shown to have serious flaws . I look at schools like Auburn which run a variant of the TO I believe, and they have had great results.
OR is the TO inherently flawed and limits us in multiple areas like recruiting

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I've been asking that for 40 years. There's never been any interest to do so. Maybe now that they really need it, TStan would look at it. But ... I hear that he's going after the Big Fish for Big Donations. So, I don't expect it to happen.

That is the dumbest thing I've heard if he doesnt want free money. If people are willing to crowdfund money for the program out of their own time unpaid, why not take it???? This needs to be set up immediately.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
With SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 networks launching, it created a new stream of revenue (not so much for P-12 though) that hadn't previously existed. You take an extra 5-15 million per year, and there's a lot more money to invest in facilities, staffing, amenities. That created a new arms race, and for the most part the ACC was left behind.

The ACC has always been a step behind the other conferences in terms of media contracts. While other conferences were savvy and had foresight to see changes on the horizon with the language in their contracts, the ACC shot themselves in the foot several times.

Although the ACC is geographically and culturally the better fit, makes you wonder about the extra tens of millions we gave up every year by not accepting the B1G's offer to join.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps we need to walk around Tech Square with our hat in our hand in front of buildings like NCR

If you wanted to form one, you'd have to first create the infrastructure to administer it and then, create local chapters ... it's a lot of work. Which is why it will probably never happen. Alabama's formed over decades.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
If you wanted to form one, you'd have to first create the infrastructure to administer it and then, create local chapters ... it's a lot of work. Which is why it will probably never happen. Alabama's formed over decades.

I mean, I wouldn't mind helping. I'm all for it. Have to find those dedicated to the school and team.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
The Recruiting Challenge after last season was the first time I've seen a coordinated crowd-funding effort. It ended up getting $300k from 300 or so people. For the capital campaign, TS has gotten $40+ million so far from the "big fish." That's definitely the right approach when you're trying to get $125 million.

Ideally, you'd have an operation that does a good job of getting big and small gifts. The A-T Fund has historically positioned to get the big gifts going back to the Rice era. This is an area where you need to be modernized. Trying to set up a bunch of local groups sounds circa 1980s. Need a good way to rally people online that can reach people from Snellville to Shanghai.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
we can't sign some of the same kids as the factories of the world because our academic requirements are higher. The thing is, that has always been the case.

Yes and no. We have maintained fairly standards, though we have started allowing a limited number of exceptions over the last few decades, whereas the factories have drastically lowered the floor on athletic admissions during the same time. The gap between a factories minimum admission standards and our has indeed widened over the years. After all, uga had a WR on their roster a few years ago who basically couldn't read, and yet was applauded by the media for getting help through a book club. We can't take guys like that. 40 years ago, no college could.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
The Recruiting Challenge after last season was the first time I've seen a coordinated crowd-funding effort. It ended up getting $300k from 300 or so people. For the capital campaign, TS has gotten $40+ million so far from the "big fish." That's definitely the right approach when you're trying to get $125 million.

Ideally, you'd have an operation that does a good job of getting big and small gifts. The A-T Fund has historically positioned to get the big gifts going back to the Rice era. This is an area where you need to be modernized. Trying to set up a bunch of local groups sounds circa 1980s. Need a good way to rally people online that can reach people from Snellville to Shanghai.

You're right, but it will take going into offices and businesses convincing then to donate to tech. Simply a tax write off for them. Maybe grab a few donors that will from there on out donate 50k-100k a year. It's all about selling them on where they are putting there money helps someone else.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to clarify that, Jerry. So the football program is still being fully financially backed as usual and he is becoming less effective with it? Or is the AD allocating football revenue to sports no one cares about like women's lacrosse and soccer in order to broaden the range of offerings?
Some on the board are not troglodytes who think women should look nice and shut up. Obviously the women who participate in those sports care about them, as do their families and friends. They don't draw football crowds, but they are important regardless. By that token we could eliminate men's track, soccer and cross country among others.

That chart isn't accurate. We always carry a number of graduate assistants. This year we have 4. We also have more than one in "strength and conditioning". Our director of player development (Sisk) has at least 3 assistants.
I don't recall us ever having more than 2 or 3 GA's. Regardless, does the number you came up with even come close to 40? Not in my book, it doesn't.

I don't recall us ever having more than 2 or 3 GA's. Regardless, does the number you came up with even come close to 40? Not in my book, it doesn't.
I didn't come up with any number. I'm just going by what is in the media guide. I also did not draw any conclusions from the numbers. I simply stated that the chart was incorrect. The media guide states that we have 4 GAs. You can feel free to keep referring to "your book" and make assumptions, conclusions, etc off of this information. I am just telling you that the chart is wrong for Georgia Tech's staff.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Cpj won't hire an oc or special teams coach, so there's 2 coaches we're short of.
You do realize that the number of coaches is limited by the NCAA right? The support staff is not. So by definition to hire one or the other someone must go. We're not "short" any coaches.

I didn't come up with any number. I'm just going by what is in the media guide. I also did not draw any conclusions from the numbers. I simply stated that the chart was incorrect. The media guide states that we have 4 GAs. You can feel free to keep referring to "your book" and make assumptions, conclusions, etc off of this information. I am just telling you that the chart is wrong for Georgia Tech's staff.
I don't have "a book", whatever that means. But look at one of the earlier posts comparing salaries. Even if we are close in size to the staffs of other schools, those other schools are apparently paying those staffs a helluva lot more than Tech is paying ours.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer

The NCAA governs number of grad assistants. It's currently 4 (at GT, it's Errin Joe, Nick Newsome, Trey Money, Tyson Wachenheim). There are also two student assistant coaches -- AJ Gray and Jaylend Rattliffe.

The QC/analysts roles can't coach on the field during practice, but the GAs can. There's no limit on the off-field staff currently, but there is a gameday headset rule of 23.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't have "a book", whatever that means. But look at one of the earlier posts comparing salaries. Even if we are close in size to the staffs of other schools, those other schools are apparently paying those staffs a helluva lot more than Tech is paying ours.

We haven't been anywhere close to support staff until maybe very recently. Having said that, if it's translating to improvement in some way, it has yet to show up.