Special Ed Conference

Techster

Helluva Engineer
SEC and Big 10 did not look good at all this Bowl Season. Alabama can kinda redeem the SEC a bit with a win in the Natty, but man the Big 10 was really spanked. Top 4 B1G teams (OSU, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin) went 1-3, and Wisconsin played non-P5 W Michigan.

It's nice that the ACC beat the 2 marquee teams, and Clemson SPANKED OSU. ACC is a LOT better than people are giving us credit for.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Plus, Pitt beat PSU, FSU beat Mich, and as mentioned, OSU got the living $@#€ stomped out of them.

SEC and Big 10 did not look good at all this Bowl Season. Alabama can kinda redeem the SEC a bit with a win in the Natty, but man the Big 10 was really spanked. Top 4 B1G teams (OSU, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin) went 1-3, and Wisconsin played non-P5 W Michigan.

It's nice that the ACC beat the 2 marquee teams, and Clemson SPANKED OSU. ACC is a LOT better than people are giving us credit for.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC is definitely the best conference for 2016. There was the UL downward spiral at the end of the year that hurt (to be fair LSU has recruited better than anyone other than Bama for a while, so they're a tough out and just needed to get their coaching strategy adjusted) , Pitts injuries killed their bowl game (still almost won), and UNC was close as well.

I thought the B1G and SEC were being hyped more than they should and then they got a ton of matchups against each other which made it harder for them to be exposed.

SEC benefited from a ton of those matchups. You had LSU and Bama who are good teams and TCU choking helping UGA, but most of the SECs bowl wins were against the overrated B1G: Nebraska and Iowa. Miss State drew Miamo (OH) and still almost blew that.

Outside of UL the bowl matchups the SEC drew against the ACC opponents they lost (Arky, Vandy, Kentucky). And 2nd best auburn got OU (which honestly OU prob should have been in the playoff over any B1G team) and they lost that too.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Well my friends, the regular season is complete and the resumes of our beloved (and hated) conferences await only the bowl games. There is no more helium to pump into the SEC for the moment, as time and time again they prove to be a fraud. This weekend was no exception. Despite pulling in the very best of the recruiting classes (according to the subscription hungry geeks) year after year, employing the very best coaches money can buy, receiving beyond delusional support from the media, and putting more butts in the seats (from those who buy into the fraud), the best the SEC can do in the end is identify as below average in the PWR 5 landscape. Consider the individual cases of Ole Miss and GT. The Rebel Bears enjoyed weekly rankings in the top 20 and took forever to drop out, even after the losses continued to mount. They finished 5-7 and looked ridiculous along the way, with the only exception being a drubbing of the Bulldogs which served as "evidence" of their true strength. Even a loss (albeit a close one) to the Tide served as proof of excellence. The Jackets, on the other hand, finished 8-4 and never once sniffed the top 25. Bear in mind, I am not making the argument that we should have either. In truth, GT has a chance to wiggle back in with a bowl victory, I imagine. At that point we will have earned it. Such is life in the two conferences. Even losses in the SEC are viewed as prestigious as the great assumption of "dominance" continues. ACC schools must defeat the presumption of mediocrity before even being considered worthy of displacing one of the media darlings. The "post regular season" resumes are below. I'll let you all decide who has the better conference.

vs NON PWR 5: SEC 21-5, ACC 16-5
vs FCS: SEC 11-0, ACC 12-1
vs PWR 5 (+ND): SEC 6-8, ACC 12-8
HEAD to HEAD: SEC 3 wins, ACC 6 wins

From the evidence presented, apparently, the thing the SEC knows how to do best is play "bully" against lower level programs and poke their chest out. When they have a chance to pick on somebody their own size, they just don't have the MOJO. It's no wonder why they schedule 6 fewer games against their own level than the ACC does.

At this point, the only hope remaining for the SEC is to have a stellar bowl season. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were an SEC fan. I forget how many ACC vs SEC match ups there are during bowl season, but they will need close to a clean sweep just to pull things even. Have no illusions folks, regardless of what happens, the drum beat will go on for the Special Ed Conference.

great post. thanks for the stats.

i fully expect clemson to handle bama making our record 7-3 vs the sec.

i have said from the beginning that once the playoffs started that the sec would be exposed as a conference that has used favorable match ups and games close to home to build their mystique. THANKS TO ESPN. how many times has bama played in michigan or the osu horse shoe. tosu recently opened up their season playing a top 10 oklahoma IN OKLAHOMA.

they only want to play games in their own stadium for the most part. wasnt that part of the reason they cancelled our series? they only wanted to play gt in tuscaloosa.

speaking of 'special ed' i saw the ajc article where we graduated 22 athletes this past semester. congrats to all our athletes.

what im still waiting for is an similar article on the dwags. i either missed the article or it was not something they want to brag about. did they even graduate ANY athletes last semester?

buehler buehler. heh