Special Ed Conference

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For years the SEC has been the most yellow bellied conference of them all, scheduling cupcakes out of conference, drubbing them, and then beating their chest about how great they are. The press was completeley complicit, fawning and building them up in an effort to line their own pockets with readers and viewers. During these same years the ACC has often taken on more tough opponents, especially early in the season and suffered much of the same results that the SEC had this year. During those years, the narrative was always how mediocre the ACC was and undeserving of respect. It will be interesting to see how the press spins the results of week one, 2016.

Personally, I applaud the SEC for scheduling the games, just as I have recognized the ACC doing so in the past. I fully recognize that the SEC has played a tougher slate than we have in the infancy of this season. There is still one game to go for each, a "head to head" match up, oddly enough. Let's root for "free shoes" even though it hurts a little. I say this mostly because, ONCE AGAIN, the press has jumped in there and inflated the SEC before the season ever started, blessing them with wholly undeserved lofty preseason rankings. Lets recap. Shall we? Overall, the SEC has taken 5 losses in their 11 contests this opening week, three of them to "directional" schools. The scary part is, it could have easily been even worse with preseason #9 UT Vowels barely escaping with a victory, at home, over the "Consonants" of Appy State. For all who watched that game, that was an Appy win that just got fouled up and handed over to the vowel faithful. Then there was Arkansas padding their resume with a sliver of a one point, come from behind, home victory over the prestigious LaTech program. I guess the stuff that chaps me the most is the verbage the fawning press chooses to use when an SEC team does go down, such as the "upset" of #5LSU at the hands of Wisconsin. Upset? Are you kidding me? How? First of all, this was the initial game of the season for both teams and the #5 in front of the LSU name is based on nothing but the need to stack the top ten with SEC names, just because. Anybody who watched that game could see that was no upset. Wisconsin was clearly the better and more physical team. They punished LSU for 58 of the 60 minutes, only pausing for 2 minutes to gift wrap a pair of scores for LSU with mishaps deep in their own end.

The good: Bammer 52 - USC 6, UGA 33 - UNC 24, TA&M 31 - UCLA 24
The Blah: UF 24 - UMASS 7, ARK 21 - LATECH 20
The Bad: UT 20 - APPY 13 (OT), WIS 16 - LSU 14, WVU 26 - MISSOU 11, CLEM 19 - AUB 13
The Ugly: South AL 21 - MSST 20, SMISS 44 - UK 35
TBD: Ole Miss vs Free shoes

My friends, the preseason rankings mean nothing. The SEC is, most likely, just the same as they have been in recent years, a very competitive conference, who is simply just over-rated. They took on a real schedule in the early going. Good for them. Welcome to the "real world". I hope they continue to do it and all other conferences as well, for the good of the game. I call for an expansion of the playoff system to include all conference champs and conference champs only.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gave you a standing ovation. My kids are perplexed.

One disagreement. UNChoked that game away so I'd say that uga win falls somewhere between blah and good.

I'm sure the media will explain away the close wins as 'welp, they survived. All you gotta do is win blah, blah, blah".

That conference has always been Bama and the 11 dwarves. This year is no different.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Good post. The conference superiority crap pisses me off and I hate the fact I have to root for teams i don't like (FSU) for the sole fact that it makes my conference look better and plays into "quality wins" and "quality losses" whatever the hell that subjective crap is. When it comes down to on field performance, I haven't seen a difference overall in any conference. There's elite, good, blah, and bad tiers in them all. Sometimes you notice lopsided divisions like SEC West vs SEC East even though I'm not sold on anyone besides Bama in the West so maybe that thought is flawed.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget the SC-Vandy game, where both teams looked like hot garbage. And that UF-UMass game, despite the final score, was an embarrassment...I think the Gators were trailing or tied heading into the 4th with one of the worst teams in FBS.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Agree with most you said. Nevertheless, either Alabama is the best FB team this year or USC is way overrated. They were the only really good FB team I saw this weekend.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I had to laugh this morning at the comments on eSECpn college round up this morning. To a man they agreed the esss eee ccc was not near what they "have" been and the gap between it the other power 5 conferences is narrowing. They even went on to dispell the notion re: the middle of the conference/depth making the conference the strongest. OH and the most important game of the weekend for the ssss eeee ccc is the old miss/FSU game. If FSU dismantles old miss the conference will come out of the weekend with it's nation image damaged! LOVE IT!!!!

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I like how the SEC schedules the Northern teams from the Big Ten in late August or early September either at home or at a"neutral" site. Almost always a guaranteed win for the SEC team on the heat. The Big Ten schools need to wise up and force a return trip for their SEC foes to play night games up North in late October through mid November. Most likely the SEC team would opt out and if not they would be shaking in their shoes.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I wish the NCAA would get to NFL style scheduling. Have the #1 ranking at the end of the previous year, then get the hardest conference schedule & hardest out of conference schedule the next year. Suck hind tit the year before, get a soft schedule the next year. Yeah you have to preserve "rivalry week" but all you'd have to do is get the P5 to agree & guarantee the non-P5 enough neutral site/road revenue games to make it worth it for them. Surely a good GT IE, computer geek & IM (or whatever they call it these days) could figure this out.

Different thread but someone needs to enlist the help of a couple aspiring Engineers to figure out cleat technology so I don't have to keep listening to how the other teams are wearing the right cleats & GT forgot to bring what they needed. C'mon there's the type grass, length of the grass, dirt & water. There's gotta be a rocket scientist on campus somewhere that can put together a database so we're wearing the right cleats on any given day.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Totally agree the SEC hype and coddling this past week has been disgusting. Hirbstreet was already explaining away UT's performance at the Bama game last night. They don't even hide it anymore. I will say this though. When you watch Bama, they seem unstoppable. We would kill for one of their DL, and they have about 6. They were pressuring (i.e., sacking) USC's QB with only 3 last night. I am proud of our guys (wouldn't trade them for the world), and even if it means losing is all we can could do, so be it. But it just doesn't seem fair. The good guys need to win once in awhile.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Totally agree the SEC hype and coddling this past week has been disgusting. Hirbstreet was already explaining away UT's performance at the Bama game last night. They don't even hide it anymore. I will say this though. When you watch Bama, they seem unstoppable. We would kill for one of their DL, and they have about 6. They were pressuring (i.e., sacking) USC's QB with only 3 last night. I am proud of our guys (wouldn't trade them for the world), and even if it means losing is all we can could do, so be it. But it just doesn't seem fair. The good guys need to win once in awhile.
They'll still find a way to lose to Ole Miss or LSU.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Don't feel bad for USC...they are NOT one of the "good guys"

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with the Sec being way overhyped. Especially the east.

However I look at the UT game a bit like our game against GSU two seasons ago. We could and arguably should have lost that game.