So, who starts next year...

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not sure a guy moving because he's out of shape is gonna work out anywhere.
he may b over weight but out of shape ?what is he out of shape for? he did all he as asked played every down that was allowed to him.didnt get any ore tired than any one else .you can not blame his size on not doing his job

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the last thing we need to do is move Shamire. He's a born OL and fits just fine at guard. I think Coach moved Joe over so he could play Bryan, not because Joe was doing a much better job then Devine. Besides, he'll be needed there next year for his experience and size. And I didn't see much evidence that he was out of shape; I think 360 is about right for him. Some people are just plain big and he's one of them.

Given another year to develop, I expect great things out of Devine. But, again, we'll see.
so you are saying byran was better at tackle than joe which i may agree but dont take devine's position when he did nothing wrong. can we say unfair .then feed the public bs like he cant scoop ,weight issues.the out come was no different game wise.could of been a confidence killer.i wouldn't want to play or a coach that does whatever because he can.be fair.shamire earned his pt and start time he waited his turn ,he practices like everyone else.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
he may b over weight but out of shape ?what is he out of shape for? he did all he as asked played every down that was allowed to him.didnt get any ore tired than any one else .you can not blame his size on not doing his job

I think both the coaches and Shamire would tell you they'd like to see him at a lower playing weight.

Sports Illustrated actually did a piece a few years back on the obesity epidemic in the NFL. I think you can find references to to easily enough with a simple google search. It basically said that it's not the size of the guys, but the composition that is alarming, and I think there is some truth to this. A lot of these guys have serious problems once football stops because of their weight issues.

But I digress a little...I honestly just want to make sure Shamire contributes in any way he can. If he remains on offense and becomes an all ACC guard then that's awesome. If we move him to defense and it helps the team, also awesome. I think he's a pretty special talent. Not many guys that big are that quick on their feet.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think both the coaches and Shamire would tell you they'd like to see him at a lower playing weight.

Sports Illustrated actually did a piece a few years back on the obesity epidemic in the NFL. I think you can find references to to easily enough with a simple google search. It basically said that it's not the size of the guys, but the composition that is alarming, and I think there is some truth to this. A lot of these guys have serious problems once football stops because of their weight issues.

But I digress a little...I honestly just want to make sure Shamire contributes in any way he can. If he remains on offense and becomes an all ACC guard then that's awesome. If we move him to defense and it helps the team, also awesome. I think he's a pretty special talent. Not many guys that big are that quick on their feet.

Shamire played last year at about 350/355. Not to far off his goal of 345, considering he's lost about 40 pounds since he got here.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure a guy moving because he's out of shape is gonna work out anywhere.

I don't know that he's out of shape, but I'm not a big fan of moving guys just to move them. There's been tons of posts about moving players around all over the place (e.g. Lynch to WR). Do we really want to go through the same thing we did this year, i.e. have relatively new, inexperienced players at each position? It would be different if Shamire were buried on the depth chart but he's not - he's a starter. Same with Lynch.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know that he's out of shape, but I'm not a big fan of moving guys just to move them. There's been tons of posts about moving players around all over the place (e.g. Lynch to WR). Do we really want to go through the same thing we did this year, i.e. have relatively new, inexperienced players at each position? It would be different if Shamire were buried on the depth chart but he's not - he's a starter. Same with Lynch.

Our fans tend to get a wild hair in them and move our players around where they see fit...never mind what the coaches themselves think.

Anyone still remember the "CPJ needs to move JeT to AB to get him on the field because he's going to sit behind Vad for 3 years."? Yep, that worked out.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, I agree that it's never a good idea to move people for the hell of it. Oth, sometimes it makes sense. Moving Jordan to AB was a good idea; it got one of our best runners out on to the field and he could - and has - always move back to QB.

But, yes, a lot of the moves this season were dictated by injuries and would not have taken place otherwise. Prime example, imho, is MLD to AB. If ever there was a BB on our team, it's him. In the normal course of things, he would have been redshirted this year. Now, I'm not sure what Coach will decide for him. I'm guessing back to BB and a redshirt, but with Mills enrolling in January, he might stay at AB and play a Lucas Cox role next year.

I do think, however, that Shamire stays at RG and starts. No need to move him. Provided, that is, that he meets Coach's new off-season conditioning regimen requirements. I sure would like to see that document, btw.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I'm not against Shamire to defense. He's a giant and we've got some serious issues at DT. I think he'd be good at just jamming holes and taking up space. I'm not sure he's so much better than the next guy up on offense that this should not be considered.

Not near enough motor or stamina for D.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Shamire played last year at about 350/355. Not to far off his goal of 345, considering he's lost about 40 pounds since he got here.
I will say that the kid that my son coached told him this is first year he has been in football shape. He has always been a giant in high school (greenville Texas) and in college (New Mexico). Walked on at Carolina Panther s - started as right tackle - made league minimum. He was just a huge 400+# statue for pass blocking and almost all run plays went left. He told son next years, he got stronger but still carried weight.
Now at Titans he is down to a "lean" 345 with his long arms and new agility hopes to play guard.
Did a lot of running / cardo in the summer .

Sham will be awsome!

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Sham and want him on the field. If that means he would be better on defense then move him. If he is going to start on offense then don't. But we could use some help on defense and he appears to have the potential to be another "battleship". I don't like him on the sidelines as he was at the end of the year.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like Sham and want him on the field. If that means he would be better on defense then move him. If he is going to start on offense then don't. But we could use some help on defense and he appears to have the potential to be another "battleship". I don't like him on the sidelines as he was at the end of the year.
IIRC, he was sidelined due to possible concussion protocols.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
What's the protocall? I was under the impression 1 game after being cleared .he was out 2games , practice during by week which was in between games and then had his starting position taken away(after fighting so hard in the FL
.st. game that caused the injury ) .what's really going on?I remebered last year when he was 2nd string, coach did not sub lineman all willy-nilly. We had to b up 2 touchdowns and a group of 2ndstring would go in this year replace devine when ever for what and who ever .the r tackle lost his spot due to a better player after injury.the rg situation was something fishy and unfair.its over now just don't just don't pass it off to the community like it was normal or fair.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
Sideline sham . ridiculous and unfair.hope he stays healthy(meaning no injuries ) and gets better to get justice

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
Same thing with o when you can make the play it don't take long to get off the field. What suggestion do you have for his type? When he loses the weight he still is a 6 7 350 pound player in the wrong system.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sideline sham . ridiculous and unfair.hope he stays healthy(meaning no injuries ) and gets better to get justice
If there is the concept of "justice" in sports it doesn't fit here. You earn "justice" in sports. You don't "get" justice. And I remain astonished, as I am almost every day, that anonymous coaches on message boards know so much more than the ones being paid to coach. Remarkably bad career choice for somebody.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
If there is the concept of "justice" in sports it doesn't fit here. You earn "justice" in sports. You don't "get" justice. And I remain astonished, as I am almost every day, that anonymous coaches on message boards know so much more than the ones being paid to coach. Remarkably bad career choice for somebody.
Im Just a supporter with an opinion like you but you can have your board.ill sit dormant to april.GO JACKETS

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Forgot about that and it explains a lot. Once you get a starting position with us, Coach doesn't like to move you unless you aren't performing. So once Joe moved over, it was hard for Shamire to get a start. Joe did at least as well as he did at guard and Bryan was as good or better at OT. This will not be the case next year, I'm betting, but we'll see. Again, I'd sure like to know what Coach is expecting in the off-season workouts. That'll make a difference for a lot of our players.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Which of the new recruits coming in do you expect to start/earn playing time and which of our targeted recruits would play if they commit?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Which of the new recruits coming in do you expect to start/earn playing time and which of our targeted recruits would play if they commit?

Gotta think Branch at least has a shot at SDE. He's got the size and some time in college strength training. I hope we don't have to play anybody else!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Ok here's a list taken from FTRS Lets look here. Everyone I think that is going to redshirt for sure I'll high light in red. Play for sure I'm bolding and a question mark I'm leaving normal.

LB Emmanuel Bridges 6-1 208 Enrolled (1/11/2016) 3-Star (5.7) 3-Star (0.8634)
BB Dedrick Mills 5-10 220 Enrolled (1/11/2016) 3-Star (5.6) 3-Star (0.8535)
DE Desmond Branch 6-4 265 Enrolled (1/11/2016) 2-Star (5.4) 3-Star (0.8348)
AB Xavier Gantt 5-10 170 Committed (2/11/2015) 3-Star (5.7) 3-Star (0.8606)
LB Jakob Brashear 6-1 210 Committed (3/19/2015) 2-Star (5.4) 3-Star (0.8339)
DT Chris Martin 6-2 250 Committed (5/9/2015) 3-Star (5.5) 3-Star (0.8454)
DB Jarrett Cole 5-10 185 Committed (7/30/2015) 3-Star (5.5) 3-Star (0.8473)

OL Parker Braun 6-3 272 Committed (8/29/2015) 3-Star (5.7) 3-Star (0.8712)
WR Steve Dolphus 6-5 200 Committed (10/21/2015) 3-Star (5.5) 3-Star (0.8410)
OL Kenny Cooper 6-3 285 Committed (12/8/2015) 2-Star (5.3) 2-Star (0.7852)
WR Jalen Camp 6-2 210 Committed (12/9/2015) 2-Star (5.2) 3-Star (0.7986)
WR Jair Anderson 6-2 185 Committed (12/26/2015) 2-Star (5.4) 3-Star (0.8456)
ATH Jay Jones 6-0 180 Committed (1/16/2016) 3-Star (5.7) 3-Star (0.8515)

I don't think any WR will be needed since we have 5 current scholarship WR's with 2 of them just coming off a redshirt.
Mills will play if he wins the job. No doubt about it.
Parker may be pressed for service kind of like Will Bryan was this past year.
Emmanuel might play just because he's enrolled early and is working towards it. His development will be the determining factor.

I think most of this class will redshirt though.

Now the potentials could play immediately if they commit.

Potential Commits:
ATH Demetris Robertson 6-0 180 Uncommitted 1/29/2016 5-Star (6.1) 5-Star (0.9839)
OL Donavaughn Campbell 6-5 340 Committed to LSU 1/29/2016 4-Star (5.9) 4-Star (0.9369)
DT Michail Carter 6-3 288 Uncommitted 1/22/2016 4-Star (5.9) 4-Star (0.9346)
DB Romeo Finley 6-1 202 Uncommitted 1/15/2016 4-Star (5.8) 4-Star (0.8927)

DE Jordan Woods 6-3 250 Uncommitted 1/15/2016 4-Star (5.8) 3-Star (0.8869)
OL Jordan Johnson 6-3 260 Uncommitted 1/29/2016 3-Star (5.7) 3-Star (0.8647)
ATH Deshaunte Jones 5-10 170 Uncommitted 1/22/2016 3-Star (5.5) 3-Star (0.8578)

DT Brandon Adams 6-2 300 Committed to Vanderbilt 1/15/2016 3-Star (5.5) 3-Star (0.8309)
QB Lucas Johnson 6-3 185 Committed to San Diego State 1/15/2016 3-Star (5.5) 3-Star (0.8162)
ATH Arkeem Byrd 6-1 190 Uncommitted -- 3-Star (5.5) 3-Star (0.8144)
DB Nick McCloud 6-2 166 Uncommitted 1/22/2016 3-Star (5.6) 3-Star (0.8488)
OL/DL Jahaziel Lee 6-3 260 Committed to Louisiana-Lafayette 1/22/2016 2-Star (5.2) 2-Star (0.7678)
OL Dylan Powell 6-3 270 Uncommitted 1/29/2016 3-Star (5.6) 3-Star (0.8206)

Just my immediate reactions when looking at the list.