So, who starts next year...

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any scenario where Green does not start at one of the Abacks!

I look forward to seeing what he can do, as well, but I'm not sure his starting is a sure thing. I'm sure he got a lot of practice reps, but we will have talented guys returning, as well. Pre-injury, I thought QS looked like the most dynamic AB we had. CL was a nice surprise blocking and receiving, TM looked like a great receiver at the spot pre-injury, and MLD looked good, too.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I predict (just like Criswell):

JacketGA is right. MLD will move back to BB and redshirt, TQ will go to QB and ditto.

Somebody in the mix at AB will move to WR (*mumble* Lynch *mumble*).

Somebody in the mix at BB will move to AB (*mumble* Marshall or Leggett *mumble*).

We will have another two-headed monster at BB. One will be Quaid.

Bryan will move to guard, Griffin stays at OT.

One of the frosh will play at DT in 2016. Gamble will move to SDE.

But, luckily, no one pays me to do this and events will prove out on the field.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
The problem with redshirting someone like MLD is that it alleviates the glut somewhat now, but essentially puts him into the same class as the guys who already redshirted - Cottrell, Ohmari, etc.

I don't think that's a terrible thing, but it does mean quite a few ABs in the same class.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The problem with redshirting someone like MLD is that it alleviates the glut somewhat now, but essentially puts him into the same class as the guys who already redshirted - Cottrell, Ohmari, etc.

I don't think that's a terrible thing, but it does mean quite a few ABs in the same class.

This is right it seems to me. That class had 26 guys, and the class before it had 10 (after the departure G. Brown). We played as true freshmen: Alexander, Lands-Davis, Marshall, Marshall, Stewart, Bryan, Cerge-Henderson, St. Amour, Mitchell, and Gray. I think these 10 are right and all of them. That puts the class of 19 up to 20 and brings the class of 20 down from 26 to 15 (we also lost Wigley to transfer).

So, giving a RS to a couple of these guys that played might help the balance a bit, but it's not really where our problem is. We can get that 15 up by playing true freshmen this coming year. The imbalance of our classes comes from this year's senior class which now has 13 and will probably have 10 or 11 by the end of next week.

As far as A-Backs go, we may have Ike and L. Griffin as RS Srs (2 Srs if they stay), then we'll have JJ Green as a RS Jr (1 Jr); then Lynch and Searcy as RS So; MLD, TM as TrSo (4 So); Benson (or B?), Cottrell, Jarrett as RS Fr (2 or 3 Fr). I expect incoming A-Backs to RS unless they really beat-out these guys.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
This is right it seems to me. That class had 26 guys, and the class before it had 10 (after the departure G. Brown). We played as true freshmen: Alexander, Lands-Davis, Marshall, Marshall, Stewart, Bryan, Cerge-Henderson, St. Amour, Mitchell, and Gray. I think these 10 are right and all of them. That puts the class of 19 up to 20 and brings the class of 20 down from 26 to 15 (we also lost Wigley to transfer).

So, giving a RS to a couple of these guys that played might help the balance a bit, but it's not really where our problem is. We can get that 15 up by playing true freshmen this coming year. The imbalance of our classes comes from this year's senior class which now has 13 and will probably have 10 or 11 by the end of next week.

As far as A-Backs go, we may have Ike and L. Griffin as RS Srs (2 Srs if they stay), then we'll have JJ Green as a RS Jr (1 Jr); then Lynch and Searcy as RS So; MLD, TM as TrSo (4 So); Benson (or B?), Cottrell, Jarrett as RS Fr (2 or 3 Fr). I expect incoming A-Backs to RS unless they really beat-out these guys.
So A back's will be our strength for the next 3-5 years

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I look forward to seeing what he can do, as well, but I'm not sure his starting is a sure thing. I'm sure he got a lot of practice reps, but we will have talented guys returning, as well. Pre-injury, I thought QS looked like the most dynamic AB we had. CL was a nice surprise blocking and receiving, TM looked like a great receiver at the spot pre-injury, and MLD looked good, too.
He has more experience than anybody returning, and has not played a down for us yet.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
He has more experience than anybody returning, and has not played a down for us yet.

Not at AB, and I think you'll agree that it's quite different than a tailback in the I. But I am hoping that he does come in and blow up. I would love to run all over UGAg with little Marshall and JJ...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One correction for AE:

Benson is a BB and will probably stay there.

I also think (this is opinion only) that MLD will go back to BB as well. That's what we recruited him for and, unless we want him to go all Lucas Cox for us (i.e. a blocking AB), he'll never start or even be in the top 4 at AB given the speed differences between him and his competitors. I also think he'll redshirt, but that's a lot less certain. It might depend on how he performs at BB during the spring; I think he's sure to get a shot back there. The one thing that could keep him at AB, imho, is if Mills turns out to be as good as Coach apparently thinks he is.

Other then that, the whole post seems spot on. Glad someone did the figuring for the rest of us too.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
One correction for AE:

I also think (this is opinion only) that MLD will go back to BB as well. That's what we recruited him for and, unless we want him to go all Lucas Cox for us (i.e. a blocking AB), he'll never start or even be in the top 4 at AB given the speed differences between him and his competitors. I also think he'll redshirt, but that's a lot less certain. It might depend on how he performs at BB during the spring; I think he's sure to get a shot back there. The one thing that could keep him at AB, imho, is if Mills turns out to be as good as Coach apparently thinks he is.

Other then that, the whole post seems spot on. Glad someone did the figuring for the rest of us too.

I'm not so sure MLD moving to BB is a given. It seems both AB and BB are loaded with players right now, but BB has 6 scholarship players (Marshall, Allen, Leggett, Weimerskirch, Benson, Mills) vying for 1 spot. Throw MLD into the mix and we have 7? I suppose it depends on getting the best players on the field at once. Can MLD be in the top 4 at AB? Absolutely, as evidenced by his 3 starts towards the end of last year. Will be break the top 2 at BB? It's unclear at this point, but I know people have high expectations for Leggett, Weimerskirch and Mills. IMO, he makes a bigger impact at AB for now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
One correction for AE:

I took the list from the Scout Eligibility list, and our roster lists Benson as an A-Back, but I put "or B?" after his name because he was talked about for both. Also, I'm pretty sure that he practiced at A-Back during the season. So, while I agree that he might compete at B-Back in the Spring, but I don't think that he "is a BB and will probably stay there" is accurate.

As far as MLD goes, if you really thought that he was better suited for B-Back and would move back to B-Back, then you would be posting that opinion in almost every thread on almost any topic. ... oh ... wait ... never mind

Seriously though, you may be right, and we'll see.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
he'll never start or even be in the top 4 at AB given the speed differences between him and his competitors.

I don't think pure speed is the most important factor at AB. Running the ball is also about instincts, smart cuts, and power. I think MLD has some of these. He also showed effective (if inconsistent) blocking ability and above average receiving skills, which I LOVE about our young ABs.

I'm not so sure MLD moving to BB is a given. It seems both AB and BB are loaded with players right now, but BB has 6 scholarship players (Marshall, Allen, Leggett, Weimerskirch, Benson, Mills) vying for 1 spot. Throw MLD into the mix and we have 7? I suppose it depends on getting the best players on the field at once. Can MLD be in the top 4 at AB? Absolutely, as evidenced by his 3 starts towards the end of last year. Will be break the top 2 at BB? It's unclear at this point, but I know people have high expectations for Leggett, Weimerskirch and Mills. IMO, he makes a bigger impact at AB for now.

Agreed. I also wonder if MLD has the short burst that MM, and hopefully some of the others you mentioned have. That is far more important at BB than pure speed.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I took the list from the Scout Eligibility list, and our roster lists Benson as an A-Back, but I put "or B?" after his name because he was talked about for both. Also, I'm pretty sure that he practiced at A-Back during the season. So, while I agree that he might compete at B-Back in the Spring, but I don't think that he "is a BB and will probably stay there" is accurate.
If I'm not mistaken, Benson was one of the players injured in the fall and spent the season recovering. I think Coach specifically mentioned him as one of the BBs coming back from injury and adding to the competition there. Also, at 5'8" and 215 he sounds like a BB too.

But we'll see. I know they originally had him at AB and, given performance on the field this spring, he could easily move back. Laws knows, he's fast enough.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not mistaken, Benson was one of the players injured in the fall and spent the season recovering. I think Coach specifically mentioned him as one of the BBs coming back from injury and adding to the competition there. Also, at 5'8" and 215 he sounds like a BB too.

But we'll see. I know they originally had him at AB and, given performance on the field this spring, he could easily move back. Laws knows, he's fast enough.

I believe Benson was injured in the high school playoffs about 13 months ago and entered GT in the Fall while still rehabilitating. Not sure how much contact practice, if any, he has had at AB or BB.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you guys are really underestimating MLD. He came in last year as a true freshman, after spring he resigned himself to red-shirting. He'll be near the top of the depth chart at AB. MM will be the started at BB and with Leggett right behind him (if he's fully healed). Everyone else will be in the mix.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I think you guys are really underestimating MLD. He came in last year as a true freshman, after spring he resigned himself to red-shirting. He'll be near the top of the depth chart at AB. MM will be the started at BB and with Leggett right behind him (if he's fully healed). Everyone else will be in the mix.
I think Quaide/MM could be Laskey/Days 2.0. Exciting future in our backfield.