So, who starts next year...

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
My mind is wondering....

So what do you guys think about moving Keshun to SLB with Anree at the starting WDE in our 4-3 look?

I wonder also if Lynn will move back to defense, particularly FS, to solidify that spot.

I like these two ideas, but I think your second one is more likely than your first. Here's to hoping KF puts on a few more pounds, as does Anree. If we go base 4-3 (PLEASE!!!!), we could get by with a lighter SDE (Anree) with Henderson or Kallon and Gamble on the interior.

I liked with LG brought to the table at AB, but I wonder how he'll be able to get on the field over a healthy QS, CL, MLD, JJG, NC, etc.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
He seems to think so: Custis. But, unfortunately, that didn't work out.

He also likes Mills a whole lot. We'll see on that.
I forgot about Custis...everybody lost on that one...where is he playing now...last I heard a Jr. college with another highly regarding running back recruit from state of Georgia who initially signed with U. of Alabama?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My mind is wondering....

So what do you guys think about moving Keshun to SLB with Anree at the starting WDE in our 4-3 look?

I wonder also if Lynn will move back to defense, particularly FS, to solidify that spot.

After the UGA, I would prefer we move Austin to CB and have the bigger Step Durham at Nickel.

Saw on the pay site, there is the thought of TJ Barning Shamire Devine by switching him to NT. Hell naw
Keep in mind I "felt good" about GT's chances against Georgia, so for what it is worth: Johnson was visually and audibly irked after the game. I say "irked" because that is permitted, but he was at least one light year beyond being a tad put out. So, outside of any possible coaching changes, what do we think the possibility is of him blowing the joint up? I don't mean scrapping his offense. They will have to take that from his cold, dead fingers, and I think rightly so. I mean maybe wholesale position swaps, several O to D and D to O changes. A guy who could see Bedford moving from defenase and making an all ACC center of him might be inclined to force feed skill sets to where they fit rather than where the player desires. ( And a guy who doesn't want to play on the other side of the ball might be told, fine, just don't expect a lot of PT because others are better at that position. That would sway me. I would have played NT to get on the field.)

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think one reason he was so irked was because he thought he had a good game plan - which he did - and yet we didn't score any points. His counter option scheme was a good call and he out coached Pruitt on it but it didn't matter. I like you and Techster, on page 1, believe we are going to see some people particularly on the line move around. Techster also had some good insight on secondary. I think Grey and Durham will start probably at safety and nickel but after that we are likely to see some new faces. He will not change his offense and I like your analogy of they would have to shoot him to take the controller from his fingers. However his comments did suggest a realization that we have to pass some and we couldn't because we can't pro pass block and he will make that a priority next Spring.

I also think a new oline coach is likely. CPJ has shown in the past an unwillingness to stay with a coach that not's getting it done.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, if CPJ had listened to me last year in the off season and moved Byerly to B Back (where he might not have gotten hurt) and let MJ get all those reps in the fall at QB rather than AB so he could have given JT some relief earlier, he might have won another Coach of The Year award.

One thing that has hurt us in the past was playing people as true freshmen and never red shirting them. Our recruiting seems to dictate another year in the program to be the most productive. We had to press Laskey into service as a true freshman, then moved him to BB as a soph where he was a so-so backup that year. How much better would we have been if he had reshirted as a Soph and been a RSR in 2015? I suspect his 2014 performance as a RJR would have been almost the same as it was. Same with Orwin Smith. Maybe Shaq? Don't think he redshirted. The point is, maybe several of the TFR that played this year might need to sit next year as an investment for them and the program. Unless MM is the clear winner at BB, let him redshirt. Same goes also with MLD, TM and BS.

On defense, I think that Mitchell, Gray, and Henderson will obviously be full time every down players, so they would not be candidates. But Alexander might be.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The point is, maybe several of the TFR that played this year might need to sit next year as an investment for them and the program. Unless MM is the clear winner at BB, let him redshirt. Same goes also with MLD, TM and BS.

On defense, I think that Mitchell, Gray, and Henderson will obviously be full time every down players, so they would not be candidates. But Alexander might be.

Only ones of those I can see getting a sophomore RS are MLD and TM. BS will probably start based on experience, and MM (despite the near constant doubting by some) will be our starting BB.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not doubting MM can be the starter. But is he so much better than Leggett or Allen or Quaide that we would rather have him playing in 2016 rather than 2019.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not so fast, if we learned anything this year it's that experience,or lack there of, is huge. All these guys are relatively new to game action. The grizzled vets are the guys with one year on the field, oh boy!

Roddy Jones, Embry Peebles, Marcus Wright...all three played as freshem/r-freshmen. Roddy Jones and Embry Peebles in particular were cornerstones of our rushing offense in 2008 and 2009 in terms of running the ball and blocking on the perimeter. Who could forget the tour de force that Roddy was in the 2008 UGA game?

I would take a supremely talented freshmen/sophomore over a "grizzled" vet who had to wait his turn to start is senior year. Would you rather have 2008 Dwyer (a true sophomore playing in CPJ's system for the first time) or 2014 Zach Laskey?

Look at Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel. Both won Heismans as redshirt freshmen. Would you rather have them or say...5th year senior Hutson Mason for UGA in 2014?

Don't get me wrong, experience is VERY important. It's just sometimes a player is so talented even as a freshmen or sophomore that you can't keep him off the field. Shaq Mason was an example of this, and Brant Mitchell this year.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not doubting MM can be the starter. But is he so much better than Leggett or Allen or Quaide that we would rather have him playing in 2016 rather than 2019.

QW came back from injury and could have played if he needed to. If he was that much better than MM I believe he would have. CJL is a complete unknown at this point. I liked MA when he was on the field. Key words "when he was on the field."

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Easier to piggyback off of someone else's post. Pretty much agree with your RB breakdown, but I'm sure the order of starters, etc. will be mixed around a bit. Same thing with WRs - hard to see Stewart not starting over Philpott.

Who knows where Campbell, TMarshall, and Jordan end up. I think they will contribute though.

Hope the Morgans can contribute on the OL.

On D, wouldn't be surprised to see Henderson move to DE if Kallon can turn it around.
Disagree on Henderson. He is needed inside and with St Amour, Freeman, Simmons, and Merriweather at DE there is not much room. Sellers is also a SDE candidate.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Lynch did ok this year, but I think he saw the field as much as he did because our more talented people were injured.
Don't get me wrong, experience is VERY important. It's just sometimes a player is so talented even as a freshmen or sophomore that you can't keep him off the field. Shaq Mason was an example of this, and Brant Mitchell this year.
This is both wrong and right at the same time.

If we had another Dwyer on our hands would we start him? Sure. But if there is one offense in college football that benefits from multiple years of experience, it's ours. Given the choice, every coach in the U.S. would take a talented upperclassman over a talented freshman. But, given the complexity of our O, having people who have been in the system long enough to figure out what they are doing is more important. That sometimes means that players who show talent will have to wait a year or longer until they get the game under their belt, even if they are talented. I doubt Coach will redshirt M. Marshall next year, for instance, but I bet he would if he could find upperclassmen who can beat him out this fall. I agree that both T. Marshall and MLD will probably be redshirted next year for the same reason. We were so banged up this year that a lot of players that should have spent the year practicing and hitting the weights were on the field. We'll pay for that next year. Too bad; if we hadn't had so many injuries, I think we would be ready for a NC run with JT as a senior. Now we're probably looking at 8 - 4.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Lynch did ok this year, but I think he saw the field as much as he did because our more talented people were injured.

This is both wrong and right at the same time.

If we had another Dwyer on our hands would we start him? Sure. But if there is one offense in college football that benefits from multiple years of experience, it's ours. Given the choice, every coach in the U.S. would take a talented upperclassman over a talented freshman. But, given the complexity of our O, having people who have been in the system long enough to figure out what they are doing is more important. That sometimes means that players who show talent will have to wait a year or longer until they get the game under their belt, even if they are talented. I doubt Coach will redshirt M. Marshall next year, for instance, but I bet he would if he could find upperclassmen who can beat him out this fall. I agree that both T. Marshall and MLD will probably be redshirted next year for the same reason. We were so banged up this year that a lot of players that should have spent the year practicing and hitting the weights were on the field. We'll pay for that next year. Too bad; if we hadn't had so many injuries, I think we would be ready for a NC run with JT as a senior. Now we're probably looking at 8 - 4.

I think you missed my point. Of course if you had two equally talented players, you play the guy the guy who's been in the system longer. That wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making is when you DON'T have two equally talented players, and the talented player is younger than the experienced player...hence my question: Do you take 2008 Dwyer (true sophomore first year in CPJ's system) or do you take 2014 Zach Laskey (Senior who's been in the system his entire career)? I know who I would take, and it's not the guy currently playing for the Rams in the NFL.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Roddy Jones, Embry Peebles, Marcus Wright...all three played as freshem/r-freshmen. Roddy Jones and Embry Peebles in particular were cornerstones of our rushing offense in 2008 and 2009 in terms of running the ball and blocking on the perimeter. Who could forget the tour de force that Roddy was in the 2008 UGA game?

I would take a supremely talented freshmen/sophomore over a "grizzled" vet who had to wait his turn to start is senior year. Would you rather have 2008 Dwyer (a true sophomore playing in CPJ's system for the first time) or 2014 Zach Laskey?

Look at Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel. Both won Heismans as redshirt freshmen. Would you rather have them or say...5th year senior Hutson Mason for UGA in 2014?

apples to oranges. For one, the offense has become much more complex. For another, defenses are much better prepared to stop us. Back in '08, both opposing DC's and defensive players were seeing us for the first time and it showed, big time. Same goes for '09, for the most part.

To answer your question, I'd take another Dwyer in a heatbeat, but that's not our MO. Our MO is signing guys with potential and developing it fully.

Also, I chuckled when you followed up talking about Marcus Wright and Embry Peebles with the phrase "supremely talented freshmen."

To the main point, I want the greatest production possible whether that be someone who's realizing 100% of their potential or someone only 50%.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
apples to oranges. For one, the offense has become much more complex. For another, defenses are much better prepared to stop us. Back in '08, both opposing DC's and defensive players were seeing us for the first time and it showed, big time. Same goes for '09, for the most part.

To answer your question, I'd take another Dwyer in a heatbeat, but that's not our MO. Our MO is signing guys with potential and developing it fully.

Also, I chuckled when you followed up talking about Marcus Wright and Embry Peebles with the phrase "supremely talented freshmen."

Why do posters keep repeating that?!! No it hasn't. The offensive keys, reads, and the plays CPJ runs has remained the same since his days at GA Southern. Sure he has wrinkles, but they are opponent specific...and they change from week to week just like any other offense. What exactly has CPJ done to make this offense "much more complex"?

If anything, he has "dumbed" it down after Vad left the team. Remember the whole, "We're getting back to the basics, come hell or high water we're gonna run my offense!". He doubled down on his base offense, and it worked wonders in 2014. CPJ has even stated that...remember the radio show to start the 2014 season when asked what changes he was going to make to the offense, he stated (parphrasing), "For the fans who have watched this offense, they won't look any different, but for fans who don't it'll probably look new." I mean, the guy is well known for saying "We've been doing this for 25 years...and no one has yet to stop us when we execute. Why change what works?"

BTW...GT's MO has been to sign good players to develop into whatever system, and sprinkle that in with special players. That goes all the way back to the Ross years when I first started following the team. The difference now is we're getting less of the "special players"...but that's a totally different discussion altogether.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Liked lynch because he did great job of being in position to catch pitch in a year when the defenders were closing fast. I was concerned that when he had open field he tended to get tackled by first defender. It could be that was the right choice as tv review and seats at field level aren't that reliable. Guess I am saying he is good but not a game changer that will make defenses adjust to account for him.

I tend to agree with your overall assessment but I think Lynch deserves a lot of credit for his contribution this season. Consider:

He was a late signee as a projected AB even though he played WR in high school. Nothing in his past to suggest he would be a game changing AB.

As a freshmen he got no SWARM publicity at all. In fact I asked about his progress 5 times. The first three were ignored. The second two responses went something like: "He is on the scout team, not playing AB, and not a factor at all".

After Fall practice was underway CPJ was asked about the AB performance. He named four or five players and mentioned Lynch "as one who was trying to get on the bus" (I assume a "maybe" to dress out for the games?)

Considering what he accomplished during the season as opposed to what was expected from him, he deserves a lot of credit for the effort he put into his obvious improvement.

Great job Clinton and hope you continue to surprise us!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I tend to agree with your overall assessment but I think Lynch deserves a lot of credit for his contribution this season. Consider:

He was a late signee as a projected AB even though he played WR in high school. Nothing in his past to suggest he would be a game changing AB.

As a freshmen he got no SWARM publicity at all. In fact I asked about his progress 5 times. The first three were ignored. The second two responses went something like: "He is on the scout team, not playing AB, and not a factor at all".

After Fall practice was underway CPJ was asked about the AB performance. He named four or five players and mentioned Lynch "as one who was trying to get on the bus" (I assume a "maybe" to dress out for the games?)

Considering what he accomplished during the season as opposed to what was expected from him, he deserves a lot of credit for the effort he put into his obvious improvement.

Absolutely. Inevitably, when someone gives a player a critique as I have done recently (in the case of Lynch), people can get the impression that the player in question wasn't appreciated. That couldn't be further from the truth in my case. Just think of where we would have been this year without him? I am very proud of his contributions and think he showed a lot of growth. Obviously, the kid worked hard and made a difference for the team. I feel sure he will continue to contribute at the AB spot in a significant way going forward. I just feel some other guys in the pipeline have a higher ceiling. Hopefully CL won't listen to guys like me, but rather, keep working his butt off the next 8 months.

I would have to think going into next season he should be a heavy favorite to be a starter. He played big this year.