So, who starts next year...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few thoughts:

First at AB, I am not so sure Lynch hangs on to his starting spot and I feel really sure he won't go to WR. Lynch really grew into the role this season and became a solid and reliable player. In fact, without him we would have been in trouble. However, as I go back over the games of film in my mind, Clinton was the beneficiary of a ton of green grass this year. He put himself in position and found open spaces both running and receiving. That was the value he brought to the table. He did not get a lot of tough yards in my opinion or "make plays" as we like to say. He made a couple of good runs against UGA where he fought for a few extra and he made a nice contested grab against UVA in the back of the EZ. Besides that, he pretty much only made big plays having a lot of room to roam. I think he will be in the mix at AB and I think he will contribute, but there are other guys on the roster who will be more physical, faster, and more adept at turning a 4 yard run into a 7 yard run. I have gotten to know somebody, who is on the staff, a little bit and we have talked about many many aspects of the program including personnel. He says Nathan Cotrell showed, without a doubt, that he was the class of the AB pool after just a few days at practice, before he went down. Evidently, the kid is electric with breathtaking abilities. ( I have never seen NC practice, but I trust this guy's eval, he doesn't blow sunshine and he has a TON of experience). When you add to that guys like Searcy back into the mix along witih JJ Green, add Lynn Griffin and Lands-Davis with more experience and things are going to get crowded. It is good for us, but I don't want us to build up Lynch beyond where he actually is at the moment.

Obviously, there will be tons of competition at BB. The starter will be a really tough call. That is what spring and summer camps are for. I am not even going to try.

Where we need help is at WR. Both Jeune and Stewart are works in progress. We need SOMEBODY (really two) who is a legit speed threat deep who can not be covered by a single guy. Somebody who gets separation EVERY play by driving defenders off and getting out of their cuts, wins contested balls, keeps working when plays break down, and blocks well enough to keep defenders heads on a swivel. Stewart has shown good ball skills. Jeune has progressed steadily, but neither strikes any fear in DCs minds about how to keep them covered. There hasn't been a lot of time in the pocket, but there hasn't really been a lot of places to go with the ball either. IF we find at least ONE guy to fill this role, hopefully two, it will end a lot of the defensive tactics we have faced this season. In my mind, this is THE big question for next season on offense. Does Campbell move over? Is Philpott all that?

Call me crazy, I think the OL will be fine. Griffin suffered some assignment confusion in his first year and got replaced. He will be fine with all this time to learn. Guys like Klock and Bryan will be SOOO much better next year. They were rushed into service before they were really fully ready. Something tells me that the light bulb goes on for Devine this off season in terms of focused committment to physical preparation. Has anybody given any thought to how good he will actually be if he is just a half step quicker and a little stronger? I mean, the sky is the limit for that kid. He is such a good athlete blessed with an amazing frame and great feet. Burden will still start, so there are your five.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
How are you folks leaving out Dorian Walker, in the secondary?
Shawn Davis, redshirt, might be your punter next year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think there could be a lot of new, nearly unknown, names in the secondary next year.

A couple of folks have mentioned Lewis at LB and I agree. Every time I've seen him on the field I have had a good impression. Seems fast and fluid, with decent size / strength. I think our starting backers could be PJD, BM, and Lewis. Some promising backups at LB in VA, Cooksey, TJ.

DT looks to be Gamble and Henderson with Kallon, and Glanton backing em up. Pretty good depth but we need all these guys to improve. Hoping we turn the corner at DE. I'm not saying they have been bad....but we need big play ability here in a bad way. Pass rush has to improve and that primarily comes from the DE spot. Our D this year, while solid at times, did not get enough big plays. Very few sacks, TFLs, and turnovers. Hoping this improves with more experience.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah. If you want to compare our defensive backfield against a unit from any other team, please start the analysis with the total number of sacks and QB pressures that their DL got for them against the number that our DLs got for us. It will be pretty sobering. I would put our backfield up there with pretty much any other.

As far as who starts next year, it is hard to say, seeing that I haven't watched a single practice with the RS players. Should be fun.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. If you want to compare our defensive backfield against a unit from any other team, please start the analysis with the total number of sacks and QB pressures that their DL got for them against the number that our DLs got for us. It will be pretty sobering. I would put our backfield up there with pretty much any other.

As far as who starts next year, it is hard to say, seeing that I haven't watched a single practice with the RS players. Should be fun.
Agree 4 man rush was poor, but with no super star dl we still run basic defense ( no stunt lineman with slant rush have lb fill) & let lb make plays for tackle of rb. When it turns out to be a pass the dl is never doing anything exotic so even a crappy qb has time to hit pass to underneath receivers who are not closely covered by backs and back up at the snap!

Coaching scheme is to not give up big play so keep everybody in front of you continues and we will not coach up dl sacks.
I vote complex blitzs and get the ball back to offense within 3 minutes

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The way ABs shuffle in and out, if you're in the 2 deep, you're pretty much a starter.

I'm interested in seeing Cottrell with the way CPJ has talked about him, and JJ Green is intriguing because he played DB and was a "traditional" RB for UGA. He could be the physical presence at AB we were missing this year as a blocker and runner (like Days, Perkins were in 2015). Green is a physical athlete that will be a factor. Lynn Griffin is intriguing as well. Another physical guy with quicks but was also a phsycial presence. You have to salivate at the thought of what he could be now that he's 100% an AB, and not a DB like he was this season. His athleticism is very underated.

I still think Lynch is better than most on here want to believe. You simply do not put up the numbers rushing and receiving he does in this offense if you're just an average AB. Will his touches be reduced next season? Probably because of competition, but he will also get better with another year of development.

Searcy showed a lot before he got injured. I think he's similar to Lynch in that both are very good two-way threats (rushing and receiving), but I think Searcy has more "wiggle" in him than Lynch.

Lost in the top 5 AB shuffle is Benson and Omarhi Jarrett who both redshirted. Both had nice HS films, and Benson is another burner.

It's safe to say AB will be a position of strength next year as opposed to a group of newbies who didn't know their left hand from their right hand.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The way ABs shuffle in and out, if you're in the 2 deep, you're pretty much a starter.

I'm interested in seeing Cottrell with the way CPJ has talked about him, and JJ Green is intriguing because he played DB and was a "traditional" RB for UGA. He could be the physical presence at AB we were missing this year as a blocker and runner (like Days, Perkins were in 2015). Green is a physical athlete that will be a factor. Lynn Griffin is intriguing as well. Another physical guy with quicks but was also a phsycial presence. You have to salivate at the thought of what he could be now that he's 100% an AB, and not a DB like he was this season. His athleticism is very underated.

I still think Lynch is better than most on here want to believe. You simply do not put up the numbers rushing and receiving he does in this offense if you're just an average AB. Will his touches be reduced next season? Probably because of competition, but he will also get better with another year of development.

Searcy showed a lot before he got injured. I think he's similar to Lynch in that both are very good two-way threats (rushing and receiving), but I think Searcy has more "wiggle" in him than Lynch.

Lost in the top 5 AB shuffle is Benson and Omarhi Jarrett who both redshirted. Both had nice HS films, and Benson is another burner.

It's safe to say AB will be a position of strength next year as opposed to a group of newbies who didn't know their left hand from their right hand.

Lynch reminds me a lot of Godhigh. Lynch is our most dependable option (no pun intended) - I doubt he gets moved, especially with our depth of more experienced and taller WRs.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
A few thoughts:

First at AB, I am not so sure Lynch hangs on to his starting spot and I feel really sure he won't go to WR. Lynch really grew into the role this season and became a solid and reliable player. In fact, without him we would have been in trouble. However, as I go back over the games of film in my mind, Clinton was the beneficiary of a ton of green grass this year. He put himself in position and found open spaces both running and receiving. That was the value he brought to the table. He did not get a lot of tough yards in my opinion or "make plays" as we like to say. He made a couple of good runs against UGA where he fought for a few extra and he made a nice contested grab against UVA in the back of the EZ. Besides that, he pretty much only made big plays having a lot of room to roam. I think he will be in the mix at AB and I think he will contribute, but there are other guys on the roster who will be more physical, faster, and more adept at turning a 4 yard run into a 7 yard run. I have gotten to know somebody, who is on the staff, a little bit and we have talked about many many aspects of the program including personnel. He says Nathan Cotrell showed, without a doubt, that he was the class of the AB pool after just a few days at practice, before he went down. Evidently, the kid is electric with breathtaking abilities. ( I have never seen NC practice, but I trust this guy's eval, he doesn't blow sunshine and he has a TON of experience). When you add to that guys like Searcy back into the mix along witih JJ Green, add Lynn Griffin and Lands-Davis with more experience and things are going to get crowded. It is good for us, but I don't want us to build up Lynch beyond where he actually is at the moment.

If you don't think that Lynch got a lot of tough yards, you were not paying attention. I can think of runs vs Fl St., Miami, and NC off the top of my head.

You said that he didn't "Make plays' and also said "He put himself in position and found open spaces both running and receiving.".... putting yourself in a position to find open space is what making a play is....

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We would have lost the FSU game if it weren't for Stewart.
Grading based on being a true freshman = Was good with few flashes of exceptional talent. Goes and gets ball which is hard to teach.
We had virtually all ab, bb, wr graduate in one year and wr backups were average.

Will have to earn wr spot , but should be in mix.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
If you don't think that Lynch got a lot of tough yards, you were not paying attention. I can think of runs vs Fl St., Miami, and NC off the top of my head.

You said that he didn't "Make plays' and also said "He put himself in position and found open spaces both running and receiving.".... putting yourself in a position to find open space is what making a play is....
Sorry Boomer,but I'm going along with the UN on this one.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A few thoughts:

Obviously, there will be tons of competition at BB. The starter will be a really tough call. That is what spring and summer camps are for. I am not even going to try.

Where we need help is at WR. Both Jeune and Stewart are works in progress. We need SOMEBODY (really two) who is a legit speed threat deep who can not be covered by a single guy. Somebody who gets separation EVERY play by driving defenders off and getting out of their cuts, wins contested balls, keeps working when plays break down, and blocks well enough to keep defenders heads on a swivel. Stewart has shown good ball skills. Jeune has progressed steadily, but neither strikes any fear in DCs minds about how to keep them covered. There hasn't been a lot of time in the pocket, but there hasn't really been a lot of places to go with the ball either. IF we find at least ONE guy to fill this role, hopefully two, it will end a lot of the defensive tactics we have faced this season. In my mind, this is THE big question for next season on offense. Does Campbell move over? Is Philpott all that?

Call me crazy, I think the OL will be fine. Griffin suffered some assignment confusion in his first year and got replaced. He will be fine with all this time to learn. Guys like Klock and Bryan will be SOOO much better next year. They were rushed into service before they were really fully ready. Something tells me that the light bulb goes on for Devine this off season in terms of focused committment to physical preparation. Has anybody given any thought to how good he will actually be if he is just a half step quicker and a little stronger? I mean, the sky is the limit for that kid. He is such a good athlete blessed with an amazing frame and great feet. Burden will still start, so there are your five.

Liked lynch because he did great job of being in position to catch pitch in a year when the defenders were closing fast. I was concerned that when he had open field he tended to get tackled by first defender. It could be that was the right choice as tv review and seats at field level aren't that reliable. Guess I am saying he is good but not a game changer that will make defenses adjust to account for him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Easier to piggyback off of someone else's post. Pretty much agree with your RB breakdown, but I'm sure the order of starters, etc. will be mixed around a bit. Same thing with WRs - hard to see Stewart not starting over Philpott.

Who knows where Campbell, TMarshall, and Jordan end up. I think they will contribute though.

Hope the Morgans can contribute on the OL.

On D, wouldn't be surprised to see Henderson move to DE if Kallon can turn it around.
We have Glanton in the DT mix, as well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not so fast, if we learned anything this year it's that experience,or lack there of, is huge. All these guys are relatively new to game action. The grizzled vets are the guys with one year on the field, oh boy!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Henderson and glanton are 6'2" ish and about 290#.-
They should be effective players next year as w offseason they should break into the 300# area.
(Being tall is not an asset at dt.)'.

Perhaps these two will be agile enough to play more complicated dl assignments (I get to dream).

I feel we need to add dt recruits for depth but with these two we can be selective.

Early this year when henderson went in, I watched glanton from behind bench, he looked like a race horse at starting gate. He is a little smaller than henderson in the toro down physique.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Not so fast, if we learned anything this year it's that experience,or lack there of, is huge. All these guys are relatively new to game action. The grizzled vets are the guys with one year on the field, oh boy!
I know we've tangled here before. I think we learned it at WR, despite mostly never having Summers, but I also think that was the most predictable dropoff given it was NFL talent that left.

We never learned what the 1st and 2nd string replacements at AB and BB would have done this year due to injuries. I think we would have seen more big plays, and so does CPJ.