So, who starts next year...

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree...MLD was probably our best blocker. I'm just playing the odds with the glut of talent at AB and BB, and the fact that MLD can still redshirt to preserve eligibility, he may end up redshirting since we can get the same ability with the other guys. Not a slight on MLD, just a numbers situation.

Kagawa is a safety. Step Durham has yet to live up to his recruiting potential...was considered one of the top CBs in the Southeast, but was unable to unseat Milton who is not a natural CB. He still has time, but CPJ has made specific mention about how the guys redshirting (Wigly, Simmons, Dotson) are probably better than the guys leaving.

Christian Campbell...you may want to read the Donovan Campbell recruiting thread. One of the guys tied to the Campbell family has said that Christian will probably never play QB for GT. I'm pretty sure Campbell would be a stud in our option game...the worry is his ability in our passing game. We're past the point that our QBs are one dimensional and just a running threat.

JT is hurt based on some comments made on here. I don't see him playing in the spring. I honestly don't see Byerly's waiver approved. He is a transfer who sat out one year so it's real iffy.
Depending on MJ's wishes, CC could be our #1 guy in the spring. If he wants the opportunity is sure looks like is going to be there.

I also think our sophomore db's were better than some starting. They sure played well against FSU. All the guys mentioned above played significant time in that game.

Last edited:

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Leggett, from what I hear, is not on par with Marshall, Fro, and Mills - the top 3.
I don't know how serious his injury was, but the staff was high on him before and came close to burning his shirt a couple of times. Recovering from a major injury is always difficult, I hope he comes back full and makes this competition interesting. I am not sold on Quaide yet.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree...MLD was probably our best blocker. I'm just playing the odds with the glut of talent at AB and BB, and the fact that MLD can still redshirt to preserve eligibility, he may end up redshirting since we can get the same ability with the other guys. Not a slight on MLD, just a numbers situation.

Kagawa is a safety. Step Durham has yet to live up to his recruiting potential...was considered one of the top CBs in the Southeast, but was unable to unseat Milton who is not a natural CB. He still has time, but CPJ has made specific mention about how the guys redshirting (Wigly, Simmons, Dotson) are probably better than the guys leaving.

Christian Campbell...you may want to read the Donovan Campbell recruiting thread. One of the guys tied to the Campbell family has said that Christian will probably never play QB for GT. I'm pretty sure Campbell would be a stud in our option game...the worry is his ability in our passing game. We're past the point that our QBs are one dimensional and just a running threat.
The guy who bags my groceries at Publix is Step Durham's cousin. True story!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
JT is hurt based on some comments made on here. I don't see him playing in the spring. I honestly don't see Byerly's waiver approved. He is a transfer who sat out one year so it's real iffy.
Depending on MJ's wishes, CC could be our #1 guy in the spring. If he wants the opportunity is sure looks like is going to be there.

I also think our sophomore db's were better than some starting. They sure played well against FSU. All the guys mentioned above played significant time in that game.

QB will be interesting. TaQuan Marshall will be a factor in the QB race according to CPJ. If Byerly does not get the waiver, Jordan will be #2 IMO. From reports in other threads, Campbell will not be playing QB for GT as he's probably playing another position. Interested to see who we sign this year...not a QB recruit on the radar that I've hear of.

Lamont Simmons will be interesting. CB who was slated to play a lot for USCw, and is 6'2. Dante Wigley, who CPJ has singled out, is 6'1. DB will have a lot physical talent.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I look for Marshall to move or get stronger. He does great in the open field, but getting there is the problem. Don't sleep on Quaide and Leggitt. But unless the OL is shored up, it may not matter. I just hope we stay injury free next year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have a ton of runningbacks next year, that's the least of our worries. The problem is the guys who probably move to the head of the line missed time this year and that loss of experience is a killer. It's like starting over in many ways. We're far from set in the skill spots next year.

GRUB. Game Reps Under Belt. That's what we had loads of in '14. Very little this year and not so sure about next.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Techster's info was good stuff, but included one major problem. I didn't know Philpott was injured and have wondered why he disappeared. We ask a lot of our receivers and Philpott may not enter the picture. Still, I would like to see a receiver with deep threat speed out there sometime...I hope pass blocking is taken into account with whoever ends up with the most carries at B. I want the guy who hits the hole quickly, sure, but we have to shore up pass blocking and the B back can be a big part of that. .. The worrisome thing is that Campbell may be moved. If TaQuan is a good fit at QB, then okay. But I want someone with the quickness to run the TO to get some game experience next year. I don't want to enter 2017 with a totally raw rookie.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
QB will be interesting. TaQuan Marshall will be a factor in the QB race according to CPJ. If Byerly does not get the waiver, Jordan will be #2 IMO. From reports in other threads, Campbell will not be playing QB for GT as he's probably playing another position. Interested to see who we sign this year...not a QB recruit on the radar that I've hear of.

Lamont Simmons will be interesting. CB who was slated to play a lot for USCw, and is 6'2. Dante Wigley, who CPJ has singled out, is 6'1. DB will have a lot physical talent.

I keep hearing this. It may be mentioned in his brothers recruiting thread, I think, but what does he and his family think about that? I thought that was one of the major reasons he chose Tech, because he could play QB.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we can stay healthy there is no way we don't bounce back with the talent we have returning. Never seen us so deep at running back oline and secondary. Defense should be stronger too. The two freshman receivers we redshirted should see the field also.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have a ton of runningbacks next year, that's the least of our worries. The problem is the guys who probably move to the head of the line missed time this year and that loss of experience is a killer. It's like starting over in many ways. We're far from set in the skill spots next year.

GRUB. Game Reps Under Belt. That's what we had loads of in '14. Very little this year and not so sure about next.
As hoped for in 15, we hope in 16 when the faster low GRUB players make a play its for 40 yds instead of 10. IMO this year injuries prevented us from finding out .

I sure hope the plan is not to wait till they are seniors in 2018.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be a long off-season, so I might as well contribute to this thread... ;)

QB JeT
BB Leggett/Marshall/Weimerskirch
AB1 MLD, JJGreene, Lynch, Marshall
AB2 Searcy, Cottrell, Benson
WR1 Jeune, Stewart
WR2 Philpott, Howell
OT Klock, Stickler/Whitley
OG Devine
C Burden/Marshall
OG Brown/Griffin
OT Bryan

DE Freeman
DT Henderson/Kallon
NT Gamble
DE Rook-Chungong
LB Mitchell
LB Davis
LB Alexander
CB Durham, Dotson
S Gray
S Griffin
CB Austin, Simmons
Let's just hope we don't have to find out who the third and fourth string players are next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing this. It may be mentioned in his brothers recruiting thread, I think, but what does he and his family think about that? I thought that was one of the major reasons he chose Tech, because he could play QB.

I have no clue what the Campbell's are thinking in regard to that. I'm just relaying what a family "insider" is saying. May or may not be true...guess we'll find out this spring!

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Augusta Jacket has a good list shown below- but there are a few I think may be different.
On offense
I expect Griffin to start on the oline and don't know if tackle or guard. Marshall also could be moved to guard and start but as you show, he may push Burden. Was Burden confused at times this year and needs to move to another oline position? He had a pedestrian year and something tells me we may make some changes at center.

I like Marshall at bback. He has to block though. Would expect ABMarshall to be moved to QB. Lynch will start but a lot of abacks play so doesn't make much difference. Willis will be in the mix. I think A and Bbacks will be very competitive and will look for the guys that can break tackles. We were weak this year on that. Need guys who break some tackles. Marshall had a shot Saturday one on one with safety for a TD and didn't beat the tackle. I like him but we need to win some more of those battles.

#94 has a strong chance to start. He may be the pass rush we are looking for. Which Austin at CB? -#20 is not fast enough. Not sold on Alexander yet. Griffin at safety is also a question mark. Nickelback is also a question mark. #8 Durham actually played well there Saturday from what I could tell but he likley will start at CB.

There could be some guys come out of the wood work that are not mentioned but truth is that a lot if guys got to play this year and if look at player list, don't see too many surprises just a lot of competition. The one DT position though is wide open. Gamble has the other one locked. I think.

QB JeT
BB Leggett/Marshall/Weimerskirch
AB1 MLD, JJGreene, Lynch, Marshall
AB2 Searcy, Cottrell, Benson
WR1 Jeune, Stewart
WR2 Philpott, Howell
OT Klock, Stickler/Whitley
OG Devine
C Burden/Marshall
OG Brown/Griffin
OT Bryan

DE Freeman
DT Henderson/Kallon
NT Gamble
DE Rook-Chungong
LB Mitchell
LB Davis
LB Alexander
CB Durham, Dotson
S Gray
S Griffin
CB Austin, Simmons

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really hope that we start a base 4-3 next year on D. I believe BM has shown the ability to drop in coverage like you need a good MLB to do.

All things equal, I would rather stuff the run as much as possible. I still don't think we will have the beef to do that with just the DL.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
So if TaQuan Marshall is moved to QB, do we redshirt him and have TB as our backup if he gets his extra year? Also, is CPJ saying he'll get a look? I know he was 1st team all state at QB so exciting if it works.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What I remember from Leggett pre injury was he was the projected starter and the whole package as a runner. Blocking was suspect though. So what changed?