So, who starts next year...

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
So if TaQuan Marshall is moved to QB, do we redshirt him and have TB as our backup if he gets his extra year? Also, is CPJ saying he'll get a look? I know he was 1st team all state at QB so exciting if it works.

That assumes TB gets his extra year. Big assumption.

My ideal scenario would be TB comes back, gets goal line and short yardage carries, while the projected 2017 QB (Whether that is TM, MJ, or CC) gets mop up time when its available and lots of 2nd team reps in practice.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Augusta Jacket has a good list shown below- but there are a few I think may be different.
On offense
I expect Griffin to start on the oline and don't know if tackle or guard. Marshall also could be moved to guard and start but as you show, he may push Burden. Was Burden confused at times this year and needs to move to another oline position? He had a pedestrian year and something tells me we may make some changes at center.

I like Marshall at bback. He has to block though. Would expect ABMarshall to be moved to QB. Lynch will start but a lot of abacks play so doesn't make much difference. Willis will be in the mix. I think A and Bbacks will be very competitive and will look for the guys that can break tackles. We were weak this year on that. Need guys who break some tackles. Marshall had a shot Saturday one on one with safety for a TD and didn't beat the tackle. I like him but we need to win some more of those battles.

#94 has a strong chance to start. He may be the pass rush we are looking for. Which Austin at CB? -#20 is not fast enough. Not sold on Alexander yet. Griffin at safety is also a question mark. Nickelback is also a question mark. #8 Durham actually played well there Saturday from what I could tell but he likley will start at CB.

There could be some guys come out of the wood work that are not mentioned but truth is that a lot if guys got to play this year and if look at player list, don't see too many surprises just a lot of competition. The one DT position though is wide open. Gamble has the other one locked. I think.

QB JeT
BB Leggett/Marshall/Weimerskirch
AB1 MLD, JJGreene, Lynch, Marshall
AB2 Searcy, Cottrell, Benson
WR1 Jeune, Stewart
WR2 Philpott, Howell
OT Klock, Stickler/Whitley
OG Devine
C Burden/Marshall
OG Brown/Griffin
OT Bryan

DE Freeman
DT Henderson/Kallon
NT Gamble
DE Rook-Chungong
LB Mitchell
LB Davis
LB Alexander
CB Durham, Dotson
S Gray
S Griffin
CB Austin, Simmons

Easier to piggyback off of someone else's post. Pretty much agree with your RB breakdown, but I'm sure the order of starters, etc. will be mixed around a bit. Same thing with WRs - hard to see Stewart not starting over Philpott.

Who knows where Campbell, TMarshall, and Jordan end up. I think they will contribute though.

Hope the Morgans can contribute on the OL.

On D, wouldn't be surprised to see Henderson move to DE if Kallon can turn it around.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This will raise some hackles, but here goes:

Like Criswell (that dates me) I predict:

• Leggett will be our BB, probably in conjunction with either Marshall or Quaide.

• MLD will move back to BB. That's what he was recruited for; he's too slow to see the field with the ABs we have coming off the bench. How he will do there is up to him, but he is clearly out of position, imho.

• After fall, Marshall will move to AB. (Pace, all Marshall supporters; we've been over this.)

• Bryan will move over to guard to replace Braun and Griffin will move in at his OT spot. Or it could be Klock who moves over; one way or the other, Griffin gets back on the field.

• Here's one way out of left field: Lynch moves to WR. Why, you ask? Let me count the reasons. 1. That's the position he was originally recruited for. 2. Despite all the lauds for Jeune, he hasn't impressed; mediocre hands, so-so blocking, and he doesn't hold on to the ball reliably. 3. We know that Lynch will do all three of these things. 4. Finally, Lynch is too good a player to sit on the bench with 4 or so ABs seeing the field before he does; if he's at WR he could play every down and give us the tough blocker and reliable hands we've missed. He has the talent to be another Smelter.

• And another one: Saint Amour moves to DT. Again, why? Again, a count. 1. He's already at 250 and could be 15 lbs heavier next year; year after that he could be 275. 2. We already have a good compliment of DEs and we need good players at DT. 3. He has real talent as a pass rusher, something we'll need inside with Gotsis gone. Now all of that is conditional on what the coaches think about the development of Glanton, Summers, and Morgan. If one (let it be two) of these young men shows well in the fall, then forget all of this.

• Jordan will be the number two QB. I don't think Tim will get another year and I don't think TaQuan (sp?) can beat Jordan out. Why? Because Jordan is, like Byerley, a true change of pace. You chase JT all over the field and all of sudden you have a guy trying to run you over. This said, I hope Tim does get to play again.

Well, that ought to be enough.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Have "verified" that Benson is up to 215LB and will be looked at at Bback.

For giggles this weekend he was pulling around a 500LB tire and once moving pulling it 40 yds in under 8 seconds. Now, if I could race him and he had the tire to pull I might be able to beat him... but not sure :)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Takethepoints: I keep hearing that Leggitt is the one to beat out at B back and that Quaide is close behind. We must be hearing the same thing.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's one way out of left field: Lynch moves to WR. Why, you ask? Let me count the reasons. 1. That's the position he was originally recruited for. 2. Despite all the lauds for Jeune, he hasn't impressed; mediocre hands, so-so blocking, and he doesn't hold on to the ball reliably. 3. We know that Lynch will do all three of these things. 4. Finally, Lynch is too good a player to sit on the bench with 4 or so ABs seeing the field before he does; if he's at WR he could play every down and give us the tough blocker and reliable hands we've missed. He has the talent to be another Smelter.
Lynch was one of the few bright spots this year at A-Back in my book. I wouldn't want to move him to a position he's untested at, even if that's what he played in high school. I don't see four guys ahead of him on the depth chart for next year. He should be a starter.

For his first year as the go-to guy, Jeune wasn't that bad. With Stewart showing lots of promise as well, I think we'll be OK at WR.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

• MLD will move back to BB. That's what he was recruited for; he's too slow to see the field with the ABs we have coming off the bench. How he will do there is up to him, but he is clearly out of position, imho.

• After fall, Marshall will move to AB. (Pace, all Marshall supporters; we've been over this.)

• Bryan will move over to guard to replace Braun and Griffin will move in at his OT spot. Or it could be Klock who moves over; one way or the other, Griffin gets back on the field.

• Here's one way out of left field: Lynch moves to WR. Why, you ask? Let me count the reasons. 1. That's the position he was originally recruited for. 2. Despite all the lauds for Jeune, he hasn't impressed; mediocre hands, so-so blocking, and he doesn't hold on to the ball reliably. 3. We know that Lynch will do all three of these things. 4. Finally, Lynch is too good a player to sit on the bench with 4 or so ABs seeing the field before he does; if he's at WR he could play every down and give us the tough blocker and reliable hands we've missed. He has the talent to be another Smelter.

• And another one: Saint Amour moves to DT. Again, why? Again, a count. 1. He's already at 250 and could be 15 lbs heavier next year; year after that he could be 275. 2. We already have a good compliment of DEs and we need good players at DT. 3. He has real talent as a pass rusher, something we'll need inside with Gotsis gone. Now all of that is conditional on what the coaches think about the development of Glanton, Summers, and Morgan. If one (let it be two) of these young men shows well in the fall, then forget all of this.

• Jordan will be the number two QB. I don't think Tim will get another year and I don't think TaQuan (sp?) can beat Jordan out. Why? Because Jordan is, like Byerley, a true change of pace. You chase JT all over the field and all of sudden you have a guy trying to run you over. This said, I hope Tim does get to play again.

I'll bite on your predictions. I can't fault you for being creative and I liked the read, even if I disagree with it.

One - Assume you mean TMarshall will move to AB? If you are talking Marcus Marshall, no way. We have so many ABs on roster - we are already 3 deep there with Searcy, JJ, Lynch, Cottrell, Willis, Griffin. Not even counting TaQ or Matthew Jordan.

To me, Leggett and MMarsh are locks for BB. One of Q and MLD, imo, will be moved to AB.

Two - I also think chances are slim Lynch moves to WR. He's was by far our best AB at the end of this year. He was just a freshman and he's only 6'0. Lynch is not going to sit on the bench at all - in fact I bet he and JJ Green/Searcy will start. We are also very deep at WR. Jeune, at least to me, looked great at times. And he was only a sophomore. Toss in Stewart, Howell, and Philpott and we've got some talent. Lynch would spend just as much time on the bench next year rotating in and out with those guys as he would at AB.

Really goes back to the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - if Lynch is such a great blocker then let him block for our ABs. Let him catch balls as an AB.

In terms of St Amour - I think he ends up taking the DE opposite KeShun and also fills in for him at rush end at times. Not sure where you got the 250 thing from (don't disagree with it, I just don't see where it came from), but it's a big step to get a guy listed at 240 this year all the way up to 275 - not to mention that 275, frankly, is a bit light to be playing on the interior anyways. And, in your scenario, next year he'd be playing inside at 265. Sure, it's possible he could generate a pass rush from inside. But he could also be blown up on run plays pretty frequently. Between Gamble, Cerge, and Kallon, that's a good inside rotation. It's also possible Freeman leaves early next year, so I don't know why you'd convert your second best pass rushing DE to DT so readily.

Agree on Jordan, assuming Timmy doesn't get an extra year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

• Leggett will be our BB, probably in conjunction with either Marshall or Quaide.

Dont like SA at DT, he is barely big enough to play de where he should rotate w freeman. We are low at dt but lets not sacarfice a talented rusher by bulking him up. Tyler m and stargell and jabari to a lessor extent were too often moved to positions of need.

Like your lynch to wr prediction!! No one respected our wr this year. I love his toughness & yac. Hopfully we have someone with speed join this area.

In passing
Further I predict coach gives SOME check to freedom to qb when he sees an obvious overshift. If we have SPEED at ab and wr during an overshift we could burn a big one.
I predict that our linesman are taught how to hold FOR 1 second on pass blocking - like every other school does only they do it for 3 seconds.

If Jordan practices passing everyday till spring he could be Tim B clone. Tough kid who as he matures could be much stronger and be a jn that can pass.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Here is my prediction for the 2 deep if I had to choose today:

QB: Thomas, Byerly*
AB: Lynch, Searcy
AB: Green, MLD
BB: Marshall, Allen
WR: Jeune, Philpott
WR: Stewart, Howell
OT: Griffin, Fromayan
OT: Bryan, Stickler
OG: Joe*, Brown
OG: Klock, Whitley
C: Burden, Marshall
Obviously that changes if Joe and/or Byerly don't get their extra year. #2 QB could be anyone if Byerly isn't back. Lots of options.

DT: Gamble, Kallon
DT: Henderson, Glanton
DE: Freeman, Saint-Amour
DE: Chungong, Simmons
LB: Davis, Alexander
LB: Mitchell, Lewis
N: Austin, Curry
CB: Duhram, Wigley
CB: Austin, Simmons
S: Gray, Kagawa
S: Griffin, Marvin
I perceive us to be thin at safety after Gray. I wonder if we move some guys there this spring.

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is my prediction for the 2 deep if I had to choose today:

QB: Thomas, Byerly*
AB: Lynch, Searcy
AB: Green, MLD
BB: Marshall, Allen
WR: Jeune, Philpott
WR: Stewart, Howell
OT: Griffin, Fromayan
OT: Bryan, Stickler
OG: Joe*, Brown
OG: Klock, Whitley
C: Burden, Marshall
Obviously that changes if Joe and/or Byerly don't get their extra year. #2 QB could be anyone if Byerly isn't back. Lots of options.

DT: Gamble, Kallon
DT: Henderson, Glanton
DE: Freeman, Saint-Amour
DE: Chungong, Simmons
LB: Davis, Alexander
LB: Mitchell, Lewis
N: Austin, Curry
CB: Duhram, Wigley
CB: Austin, Simmons
S: Gray, Kagawa
S: Griffin, Marvin
I perceive us to be thin at safety after Gray. I wonder if we move some guys there this spring.
Just curious... Do you think Devine will not be in the 2 deep or possible that you forgot him?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Have "verified" that Benson is up to 215LB and will be looked at at Bback.
I saw him at the game on Saturday standing next to Leggett and he didn't look like any 215. Still, with young men you never know. If he hasn't lost any speed, he could be a contender. Not next year, however; I'm guessing he'll need some time to get used to the position if he plays BB. Personally, I'd move him to AB, but I don't coach him. That he was palling around with Leggett does make the story more plausible.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll try:

QB: Thomas
AB: Searcy
AB: Lands-Davis
BB: Marshall
WR: Jeune
WR: Philpott
OT: Griffin
OG: Klock
C: Burden
OG: Marshall
OT: Bryan
TE: Notneeded

DE: Freeman
DT: Gamble
DT: Kallon
DE: Saint-Amour
LB: Davis
LB: Mitchell
LB: Alexander
CB: Durham
CB: Simmons
S: Gray
S: Griffin

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I'll try:

QB: Thomas
AB: Searcy
AB: Lands-Davis
BB: Marshall
WR: Jeune
WR: Philpott
OT: Griffin
OG: Klock
C: Burden
OG: Marshall
OT: Bryan
TE: Notneeded

DE: Freeman
DT: Gamble
DT: Kallon
DE: Saint-Amour
LB: Davis
LB: Mitchell
LB: Alexander
CB: Durham
CB: Simmons
S: Gray
S: Griffin
Keep sleeping on Brad Stewart

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow

I think you might be on to something with Lynch. I think he has the best hands of anyone on the team and his experience at A-back has shown him the importance of blocking. I like this idea.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Lynch was one of the few bright spots this year at A-Back in my book. I wouldn't want to move him to a position he's untested at, even if that's what he played in high school. I don't see four guys ahead of him on the depth chart for next year. He should be a starter.

For his first year as the go-to guy, Jeune wasn't that bad. With Stewart showing lots of promise as well, I think we'll be OK at WR.
Not sure what promise Stewart has shown besides the hype on gtswarm.com

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll bite on your predictions. I can't fault you for being creative and I liked the read, even if I disagree with it.

One - Assume you mean TMarshall will move to AB? If you are talking Marcus Marshall, no way. We have so many ABs on roster - we are already 3 deep there with Searcy, JJ, Lynch, Cottrell, Willis, Griffin. Not even counting TaQ or Matthew Jordan.

To me, Leggett and MMarsh are locks for BB. One of Q and MLD, imo, will be moved to AB.

Two - I also think chances are slim Lynch moves to WR. He's was by far our best AB at the end of this year. He was just a freshman and he's only 6'0. Lynch is not going to sit on the bench at all - in fact I bet he and JJ Green/Searcy will start. We are also very deep at WR. Jeune, at least to me, looked great at times. And he was only a sophomore. Toss in Stewart, Howell, and Philpott and we've got some talent. Lynch would spend just as much time on the bench next year rotating in and out with those guys as he would at AB.

Really goes back to the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - if Lynch is such a great blocker then let him block for our ABs. Let him catch balls as an AB.

In terms of St Amour - I think he ends up taking the DE opposite KeShun and also fills in for him at rush end at times. Not sure where you got the 250 thing from (don't disagree with it, I just don't see where it came from), but it's a big step to get a guy listed at 240 this year all the way up to 275 - not to mention that 275, frankly, is a bit light to be playing on the interior anyways. And, in your scenario, next year he'd be playing inside at 265. Sure, it's possible he could generate a pass rush from inside. But he could also be blown up on run plays pretty frequently. Between Gamble, Cerge, and Kallon, that's a good inside rotation. It's also possible Freeman leaves early next year, so I don't know why you'd convert your second best pass rushing DE to DT so readily.

Agree on Jordan, assuming Timmy doesn't get an extra year.
I hope Freeman leaves early next year because that will mean he had a helluva year and if he has a helluva year then we probably pressured the opponents' QB and Tech has a helluva year.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Qb-Thomas, Byerly*, Campbell
BB- Legget, Quaide
AB- Searcy, Marcus Marshall
AB-Green, Cottrell
WR-Jeune, Howell
WR-Stewart, Philpott
LT-Griffin
LG-Klock
C-Marshall
RG-Burden
RT-Bryan

DE-Freeman, SA
DT-KCH, Kallon
DT-Gamble, Glanton
DE- Rook, Sellers
LB- PJ, VA
LB- Mitchell, Tre
LB- Terrel Lewis(could be our fastest LB)
Nickel-Curry, Lance Austin
CB - Lawrence Austin, Dotson
CB- Durham, Wigley
S- Gray, Kagawa
S- Corey Griffin
K- Butker
P- Unknown
KR- Searcy, M. Marshall
PR- Stewart