So who leaves? Attrition.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no interest in speculating on a kid's scholarship. I do, however, have interest in talking about speed.

I had a discussion in another thread about Nate Cottrell's speed. Some are convinced he runs a 4.3 forty...possibly, but I've yet to see it on the field. Brown is fast, and you can tell he's fast. You want to see "football speed"? Brown has it all day and he's going to be NASTY in the slot. Outside of JeT/BayBay/Stephen Hill, we haven't seen that much speed. Get use to it, I expect CGC and staff to sign 1-2 guys with Brown's speed a class. It's a LOT easier to recruit that kind of speed when you flip those highlights on and tell a kid "See Brown? We're gonna put you in the slot opposite of him, or on the outside of him. DBs have no chance..."

Man did I miss seeing the football in the air that many times. This was spring ball, installations have only begun. It's gonna be fun, fellas...
I was in that conversation concerning Nate. Lets not take away Nate's claim to fame. With just a little bit of effort you can go back and find info from his recruitment and times posted at Tech and other schools reflecting 4.31 to 4.39 . UT , Duke, Tech and others. The more insightful part of Nate's recruitment was that the other schools didn't offer. His 40 time doesn't transfer to the field (very stiff straight line runner) and certainly not for the slot position. I do think you are spot on with Brown and his potential but I would add that he is faster and quicker than all the examples you listed. He is a very unique talent that I think may very well be the cream of the class.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was in that conversation concerning Nate. Lets not take away Nate's claim to fame. With just a little bit of effort you can go back and find info from his recruitment and times posted at Tech and other schools reflecting 4.31 to 4.39 . UT , Duke, Tech and others. The more insightful part of Nate's recruitment was that the other schools didn't offer. His 40 time doesn't transfer to the field (very stiff straight line runner) and certainly not for the slot position. I do think you are spot on with Brown and his potential but I would add that he is faster and quicker than all the examples you listed. He is a very unique talent that I think may very well be the cream of the class.

I remember telling everyone way back when they were going nuts over his HS video about how crappy East Tennessee HS football is.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks likes he about the same speed as Deandre Baker. What did he run at the combine? 4.52? I'd put Juanyeh speed in the same range high 4.4ish

The guys who run 4.3's are pulling away from folks; like the South Florida kid what smoked us like 3 times on KRs
Agreed. I love Juanyeh but he doesn't have elite speed right now. That isn't a knock - very few players have elite speed. But in the clip Baker appears to run him down at the end, and I dont think Baker is even close to being their fastest guy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember telling everyone way back when they were going nuts over his HS video about how crappy East Tennessee HS football is.
When I go back and read my post, it sounds like I dont like Nate. I do like Nate but I like all Tech men. I think our offense can find spots for him to be successful.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
When I go back and read my post, it sounds like I dont like Nate. I do like Nate but I like all Tech men. I think our offense can find spots for him to be successful.

I am a big fan of Nate. One thing to keep in mind with him is he is going into his 5th year. By all accounts, he is a great student so I would suspect he is pretty close to getting his degree, if not finishing up as we speak.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if James Graham left, too much excitement/future with GTFB and he can play more than one position or side of the ball with this staff, why would he leave? If it's competition, then he probably would need to leave.

It is my understanding that the coaches have recently divided the team into the "A" team and the "B" team. Anyone have thoughts why they are doing this?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if James Graham left, too much excitement/future with GTFB and he can play more than one position or side of the ball with this staff, why would he leave? If it's competition, then he probably would need to leave.

It is my understanding that the coaches have recently divided the team into the "A" team and the "B" team. Anyone have thoughts why they are doing this?
Wheat from the chaff?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
If it were me, (I know, it isn't) but if it were and I was Cottrell and Gant I would look into transferring to Kennesaw State. They were recruited for the triple option and there is just no role for either of them. King probably needs to be shopping his talents as well. Don't know about the others plus some people not on this list might have nagging injuries and decide it just is not worth it. I hate to say it but we probably would be better off with at least a half dozen leaving. ATL and all that.

Which King? The kicker or the corner?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Which King? The kicker or the corner?
Why do people have to complicate things? Just kidding. A lame attempt to hide my ignorance. I was speaking of the kicker but it seems like we have several erstwhile corners that the staff does not seem to want for their preferred style of play. So, maybe both Kings should be shopping or not?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Per the article in the Athletic Graham is definitely in the mix as a starter. The staff likes him.

Of course they like him. This offense fits him to a T. Get him out in space and boy howdy there will be panic in the secondary. James is one of those guys that players on the other team will point to and say to each other "See that guy? He is the one we have to stop". He jus t has that "IT" factor about him like the freshman who was such a star in the state championship game for Milton against Colquitt County. What was his name? Oh yes, Yates. Same kind of player. Those two guys are the ones for whom that old song was about: "Mr. Touchdown USA" They would have been gold as a single wing tailback back in the day. Run it, pass it , kick it, the whole nine yards. I bet Yates or Graham could drop kick a field goal if they had to. OK, just give them that Superman shirt and let them do the shirt ripping thing when they score.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am a big fan of Nate. One thing to keep in mind with him is he is going into his 5th year. By all accounts, he is a great student so I would suspect he is pretty close to getting his degree, if not finishing up as we speak.

Yep. I regret I posted what I did without thinking about the player's individual circumstance. With his speed, after all he is in the much ballyhooed 22 mph. club with only about a half a dozen others, Nate might be valuable on special teams like punt defense and kick offs. Who knows, they might could use him on rocket toss type plays from the slot as well.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100% I can't imagine any GT team in the last 2 decades where he wouldn't be a starter. It's a shame he decided to play football late in his college career.
Tremendous athlete out of Mount DeSales (spelling?) in Macon. Probably the best one in school history. Fine player and Coach Johnson never had a moment's problem with him.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't see cottrell leaving. He is a leader. I can see Gant and king leaving. I can see Dolphus leaving as he was considering leaving last year, and last night didn't seem to get much action. Brashear, maybe Tukes

I’m pretty sure Dolpus got a lot of snaps and I think 2 receptions, maybe one but he got some time

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Cottrell has been beat out by 2nd semester HS senior and Tukes is not on scholarship and very well in the mix as #2 TE

If Cottrell has been beat out it tells you that names really aren’t the main factor, Cottrell was looked at as a burner when he came in and has been dedicated to the team concept, him losing his job would be a shock to me.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no interest in speculating on a kid's scholarship. I do, however, have interest in talking about speed.

I had a discussion in another thread about Nate Cottrell's speed. Some are convinced he runs a 4.3 forty...possibly, but I've yet to see it on the field. Brown is fast, and you can tell he's fast. You want to see "football speed"? Brown has it all day and he's going to be NASTY in the slot. Outside of JeT/BayBay/Stephen Hill, we haven't seen that much speed. Get use to it, I expect CGC and staff to sign 1-2 guys with Brown's speed a class. It's a LOT easier to recruit that kind of speed when you flip those highlights on and tell a kid "See Brown? We're gonna put you in the slot opposite of him, or on the outside of him. DBs have no chance..."

Man did I miss seeing the football in the air that many times. This was spring ball, installations have only begun. It's gonna be fun, fellas...

I think Cottrell was hamstrung by his position. A backs are getting the ball on a toss most of the time as they head upfield at an angle waiting on a block by a WR. I think had he been a B back more, hitting the whole we would have seen how fast he is. Not really arguing against your point just saying it’s harder to show speed when you are dependent on a WR block as opposed to a Guard/Tackle combo block opening a hole at the point of the mesh.