So who leaves? Attrition.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Read a psychology study the other day that I can’t find right now, but basically said that pessimists and conservatives on any topic are basically afraid. That could mean afraid of change, afraid things could get worse, afraid of the unknown, in some cases physically afraid depending on the situation. What I see is a “fear” from some of being wrong or fear of failure and being open to ridicule or whatever they feel the result of that failure might be. Others (optimists) don’t care about any of that because they feel like things could be better and even if we fail it’s better to try than continue as we have been trending in their view. Those are the type of people who embrace change or who see what could be “better” rather than seeing what could be “worse”. To those trying to rationalize their feelings or “attacking” how others are reacting, it may simply be the different psychological makeup of the individual in question.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
If Cottrell has been beat out it tells you that names really aren’t the main factor, Cottrell was looked at as a burner when he came in and has been dedicated to the team concept, him losing his job would be a shock to me.
I would not call it being beaten out when you are trying out for a position you haven't played before and didn't exist in the old offense. Cottrell has been great in accepting change and the coaching staff , he is currently (above the line) in the rotation and is one of the very few guys on the team in the 22 mph club. The biggest difference is that A. Brown showed up and everyone said WOW. He has wiggle , is probably in the 24 mph club and was born to be in the slot.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Read a psychology study the other day that I can’t find right now, but basically said that pessimists and conservatives on any topic are basically afraid. That could mean afraid of change, afraid things could get worse, afraid of the unknown, in some cases physically afraid depending on the situation. What I see is a “fear” from some of being wrong or fear of failure and being open to ridicule or whatever they feel the result of that failure might be. Others (optimists) don’t care about any of that because they feel like things could be better and even if we fail it’s better to try than continue as we have been trending in their view. Those are the type of people who embrace change or who see what could be “better” rather than seeing what could be “worse”. To those trying to rationalize their feelings or “attacking” how others are reacting, it may simply be the different psychological makeup of the individual in question.
I thought a pessimist was a Tech fan of several decades.

Animal02

Banned
And like so much psychology....the study is bull****. My wife, who is a licensed one, rips on those types of studies all the time.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Read a psychology study the other day that I can’t find right now, but basically said that pessimists and conservatives on any topic are basically afraid.
Must be a Bernie Sanders type conservative the study is referring to. Conservatives by nature are not risk averse or our country would look like France and we’d all be waving our white victory flags every Independence Day.

Animal02

Banned
What's her thoughts on why you're having such a hard time transitioning to the new staff and stiff arming all the fun?!

Just messin' with ya. :)
I have no problem transitioning to the new staff....unlike so many that cannot let the old staff retire in peace
I will still wait for results rather than hyperventilating like some, when a new staff member announce they replaced a roll of toilet paper in stall #3 .;)

Deleted member 2897

I have no problem transitioning to the new staff....unlike so many that cannot let the old staff retire in peace
I will still wait for results rather than hyperventilating like some, when a new staff member announce they replaced a roll of toilet paper in stall #3 .;)

See? Why didn't they replace ALL the toilet paper? What a bunch of inconsiderate *******s.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He came from Tattnall Square, but yes a school that doesn’t produce a lot of D1 talent.

Yep. Good get. It was Tattnall Square. I am not up on those private school leagues other than our local Deerfield Windsor here in Albany which Tony Zennon graduated from. Deerfield sends a handful of students to Tech every year and they appear to be well prepared.

Animal02

Banned
My father was a conservative and a Tech graduate following World War II. He wasn't afraid of anything after being in the navy. That study smells of psycho babble emanating from some Ivy League out house.
Apparently so Psychology Today article.....which is about as respected as Architectural Digest is to architects..... And has been debunked as well.....but that is enough straying from the topic.....which in itself should not even be discussed... I think it is in very poor taste to discuss who might leave or need to leave prior to anybody actually doing do.

Deleted member 2897

Apparently so Psychology Today article.....which is about as respected as Architectural Digest is to architects..... And has been debunked as well.....but that is enough straying from the topic.....which in itself should not even be discussed... I think it is in very poor taste to discuss who might leave or need to leave prior to anybody actually doing do.

That’s a good point. Should we transition into who might need to leave from this board? We probably deserve that instead.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Yes, it really is in bad form and I should have refrained. They are young people and prone to actually believe the nonsense that is on social media. Best to all of them regardless of whether they go or stay. Psychology Today? Politically correct gibberish.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Because they are BS. That is a typical "study" that had it's desired results prior starting and tailored it's finding to fit the desired outcome. But believe you fantasy all you want. It is not surprising.
Didn’t say I believed it and the point of the post was that people are predisposed to react in a consistent way to new things. Some like them some don’t. No sense spending too much time arguing about it.