So who leaves? Attrition.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I dont' believe any walk-ons had a scholly that could be 'revoked'... the only walk-ons that get scholarships are typically kids that are seniors, and it's really more a token of respect to them for their effort.

Current staff is not bound by prior staff actions. Having said that, CPJ did give some walkons scholarships at times when deserving. I believe he made it clear that they were single year ships that might not be continued into the next year unless they were starters or playing a significant amount.

And again, current staff not bound by prior staff actions. I just couldn’t / don’t recall if any players might fall under this scenario.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
3 have to I think. Leave or lose scholly. How many walkons had a scholly last year that could be granted to a true frosh this year instead?
Not sure what you're asking, but last fall we awarded 2 walk ons with a scholly. I think they both may have been seniors. In any case once a walk on is awarded a scholly, they become part of the 85 like the others.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Current staff is not bound by prior staff actions. Having said that, CPJ did give some walkons scholarships at times when deserving. I believe he made it clear that they were single year ships that might not be continued into the next year unless they were starters or playing a significant amount.

And again, current staff not bound by prior staff actions. I just couldn’t / don’t recall if any players might fall under this scenario.
It wasn't unusual at all to see walk ons awarded a scholly by CPJ but then "decide" to leave with a degree with an extra year of eligibility.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not sure what you're asking, but last fall we awarded 2 walk ons with a scholly. I think they both may have been seniors. In any case once a walk on is awarded a scholly, they become part of the 85 like the others.

For that year yes. I’m believe some non senior walkons have been awarded schollies in the past with the understanding it was a one year deal.

If all of the walkons who earned one last year were seniors, and we are currently at 88, we don’t have any schollies given to walkons last year that could be diverted to get to 85. So attrition will have to occur to be in compliance.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
For that year yes. I’m believe some non senior walkons have been awarded schollies in the past with the understanding it was a one year deal.

If all of the walkons who earned one last year were seniors, and we are currently at 88, we don’t have any schollies given to walkons last year that could be diverted to get to 85. So attrition will have to occur to be in compliance.
Yes, the understanding is that it's a one year deal, but I'm not away of any that were pulled after a year. I have seen more than one example of guys that graduated and left the team with an extra year remaining. Ivemeyer most recently.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Probably. Glad our coach anticipates and gets that.

Imagine not having Davis or Southers, Ezzard and Clayton because we told them we were "full", then we have several leave, as always and those guys would be playing somewhere else when they easily could have been here. Yeah, I am we are being proactive, too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The senior class is where graduation attrition usually comes. Some players like Klock and M jordan graduated early like Braun. The senior class is now 14 players. The class was """27""""in 2015 ( To replace previous attritions). 13 - nearly 50 % left gt for various reason.

With the seniors left who really want to play we have to expect some minor attrition there and some from the juniors or greener pastures underclassmen. 15 class had some highly rated sophs like philpott, woods, davis and mills quit or got kicked off w no selected school.

The attrition will start up big time when a deddrick mills walks on campus. The plan is to start bringing in several field ready talents each year. It's called creative destruction. The debbie downers will act like it's the first time they have seen that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The senior class is where graduation attrition usually comes. Some players like Klock and M jordan graduated early like Braun. The senior class is now 14 players. The class was """27""""in 2015 ( To replace previous attritions). 13 - nearly 50 % left gt for various reason.

With the seniors left who really want to play we have to expect some minor attrition there and some from the juniors or greener pastures underclassmen. 15 class had some highly rated sophs like philpott, woods, davis and mills quit or got kicked off w no selected school.

The attrition will start up big time when a deddrick mills walks on campus. The plan is to start bringing in several field ready talents each year. It's called creative destruction. The debbie downers will act like it's the first time they have seen that.

Only 11 players in the 2015 class have left. 9 transferred (or just plain quit (Lands-Davis)) and 2 are on medical. (Ratliffe and Gray.) The transfers are M. Marshall, D Walker, Q Weimerskirch, M Dotson, D WIgley, M Lands-Davis, H Howell III, C Philpott, and T Sellers. 7 have graduated and used all 4 years of eligibility, and there are 9 still on the team.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Only 11 players in the 2015 class have left. 9 transferred (or just plain quit (Lands-Davis)) and 2 are on medical. (Ratliffe and Gray.) The transfers are M. Marshall, D Walker, Q Weimerskirch, M Dotson, D WIgley, M Lands-Davis, H Howell III, C Philpott, and T Sellers. 7 have graduated and used all 4 years of eligibility, and there are 9 still on the team.

ONLY 11 left! Only 11. Jeezus.

And this is not unusual.

We need to sign at least 30.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Couldn't the new "juice" (fun?) in the program, the "above the line" philosophy of playing time, and the willingness for position flexibility (even both ways) all contribute to more guys wanting to stay instead of transfer?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I have no interest in speculating on a kid's scholarship. I do, however, have interest in talking about speed.

I had a discussion in another thread about Nate Cottrell's speed. Some are convinced he runs a 4.3 forty...possibly, but I've yet to see it on the field. Brown is fast, and you can tell he's fast. You want to see "football speed"? Brown has it all day and he's going to be NASTY in the slot. Outside of JeT/BayBay/Stephen Hill, we haven't seen that much speed. Get use to it, I expect CGC and staff to sign 1-2 guys with Brown's speed a class. It's a LOT easier to recruit that kind of speed when you flip those highlights on and tell a kid "See Brown? We're gonna put you in the slot opposite of him, or on the outside of him. DBs have no chance..."

Man did I miss seeing the football in the air that many times. This was spring ball, installations have only begun. It's gonna be fun, fellas...
You forgot Snoddy. And, if you're going to throw Bay Bay and Hill in the "speed" category, then why leave out Dwyer, Smelter, Kirvonte, and the like? I don't think we've lacked for speed. CPJ certainly valued it in recruiting ... he would sometimes sign a RB recruit more because of his track accomplishments than his football accomplishments (see Snoddy and Kirvonte ... probably Jair Hawkins-Anderson too). Oh yeah, Juanyeh says to ask the Ugag kickoff team if we had any speed at all last year.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You forgot Snoddy. ... he would sometimes sign a RB recruit more because of his track accomplishments than his football accomplishments (see Snoddy and Kirvonte ... probably Jair Hawkins-Anderson too....

Nate C seems to fall into that category. When he got the ball in the previous system, he always seemed to be heading for and making the turn...with a ton of speed. Always seemed more like a track guy than traditional RB.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
On average, GT has lost 6.4 players per class since 2011. Round it up to 7. 24-25 would be plenty.

Again, in 2015 9 transferred or quit. I think you'd have a hard time telling Gray and Ratliffe they left.
If Gray had been able to play last year, he would have been a senior. He wouldn't be on the team this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Couldn't the new "juice" (fun?) in the program, the "above the line" philosophy of playing time, and the willingness for position flexibility (even both ways) all contribute to more guys wanting to stay instead of transfer?
BINGO BINGO BINGO.
I agree I agree I agree.

Once cgc shows he can navigate this transition integrity, the future looks bright.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not naming names and methods - just getting to the numbers.

Don't u agree we started w started w 27 and have 14 still here?

The point of the big numbers is not to parse each person but to show LIFE HAPPENS.

I was hired into Exxon pipeline w a ton of top engr types from around the country - one other was tech man. It was the biggest class in their history. There was a big meeting where the engrs voiced advancement concerns . Top boss said - only so many project manager brass hats available. About 50% were gone in 5 years and I left in 7 years. Life happens. Other tech guy recently retired w a big fat pension.