So who leaves? Attrition.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
That’s a good point. Should we transition into who might need to leave from this board? We probably deserve that instead.
Until we start selling out BDS on a regular basis we don't need to be running anybody off. And that includes the guy who sits a few rows behind me and only opens his mouth (loudly) when things aren't going well on the field for the good guys.

As far as SAs leaving, I feel like it's poor form to call guys out as if they are expendable. If we recruited somebody with the 40 year plan, we should honor that for anyone that wants to stick around. It doesn't feel right to speculate on this, other than to say that we are 3 over the limit right now. I trust that CGC knows things that we don't know. Having said that, I think I would rather us go back to a high school kid ASAP and say "I'm sorry but we don't have room" than to run somebody off that's already here. I think that is our worst case scenario, and it doesn't feel good to say that. Until they prove me wrong, I trust that the staff already knows of 3 transfers out.

Deleted member 2897

Until we start selling out BDS on a regular basis we don't need to be running anybody off. And that includes the guy who sits a few rows behind me and only opens his mouth (loudly) when things aren't going well on the field for the good guys.

As far as SAs leaving, I feel like it's poor form to call guys out as if they are expendable. If we recruited somebody with the 40 year plan, we should honor that for anyone that wants to stick around. It doesn't feel right to speculate on this, other than to say that we are 3 over the limit right now. I trust that CGC knows things that we don't know. Having said that, I think I would rather us go back to a high school kid ASAP and say "I'm sorry but we don't have room" than to run somebody off that's already here. I think that is our worst case scenario, and it doesn't feel good to say that. Until they prove me wrong, I trust that the staff already knows of 3 transfers out.

I think just on medicals there are at least 3 guys we can honor the full scholarship without having to burn the 85. I'm sure they'll figure it out the right way. I can think of a few people that have been injured on and off like almost constantly since they first got here. I trust them to figure it out the right way.

I also think we need to change our marketing to a 25 year plan. Our grads earn so much more money than the average college graduate, that you only need to work until you're 50 before you can retire. Who wants to work until they're 65? That's no fun - enjoy life!

Deleted member 2897

He is one of the folks I've been thinking about. There are a few DBs, RBs, and WRs whom you never hear about. They've battled minor injuries off and on forever, and they're buried on the depth chart. At what point is the 50 hour/week grind and the Georgia Tech rigor too much?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have not commented in (or even paid much attention to) this thread for some of the aforementioned reasons. However, the question of how Tech gets below 86 by fall has made me think about it, because, like most here, I don't want Tech to be associated with "processing" student-athletes that don't produce to the expected level.

I've come to believe (with no basis for this' belief other than it's logical and it's what I would have done) that CGC has had some pretty frank conversations with a number of the existing players throughout the winter. These conversations may have been initiated by CGC or they may have been initiated by the SA. I believe the conversation has revolved around the projection for the SA and where he is expected to fall in the pecking order. I think there are probably some SA's who said that they wanted to transfer and CGC told them to go through Spring Practice and then re-evaluate. There may be others that CGC was pretty honest with about a lack of playing time, and they jointly decided to see how Spring Practice went and then re-evaluate.

Let's face it, CGC's job and livelihood depends on the production of 17-23 year old kids playing a game. It's no game to him. He has to make tough decisions and, at times, be brutally honest instead of the rah-rah cheerleader. I don't foresee CGC processing kids (forcing them off the team or to change their status to make room for potentially more productive players), but I do see frank discussions where a kid may be told that the coaching staff does not see a scenario where the kid moves off the practice squad.

Anyone can go through the roster and look at mid-year (RS-Soph/Jr) guys who are so far BTL that there's no expectation of getting ATL. These are the guys people will speculate about them transferring. Hell, we saw Griffin transfer once he lost the #1 QB position, and he was very talented. I would have loved to have him in the fold when the **** hit the fan. Bottom line is every year there will be a group of kids who either decide the effort is too great for the reward or that they want playing time/more playing time and decide to go somewhere else.

Maybe I veered off target a little, but it is what it is.:sneaky:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I have not commented in (or even paid much attention to) this thread for some of the aforementioned reasons. However, the question of how Tech gets below 86 by fall has made me think about it, because, like most here, I don't want Tech to be associated with "processing" student-athletes that don't produce to the expected level.

I've come to believe (with no basis for this' belief other than it's logical and it's what I would have done) that CGC has had some pretty frank conversations with a number of the existing players throughout the winter. These conversations may have been initiated by CGC or they may have been initiated by the SA. I believe the conversation has revolved around the projection for the SA and where he is expected to fall in the pecking order. I think there are probably some SA's who said that they wanted to transfer and CGC told them to go through Spring Practice and then re-evaluate. There may be others that CGC was pretty honest with about a lack of playing time, and they jointly decided to see how Spring Practice went and then re-evaluate.

Let's face it, CGC's job and livelihood depends on the production of 17-23 year old kids playing a game. It's no game to him. He has to make tough decisions and, at times, be brutally honest instead of the rah-rah cheerleader. I don't foresee CGC processing kids (forcing them off the team or to change their status to make room for potentially more productive players), but I do see frank discussions where a kid may be told that the coaching staff does not see a scenario where the kid moves off the practice squad.

Anyone can go through the roster and look at mid-year (RS-Soph/Jr) guys who are so far BTL that there's no expectation of getting ATL. These are the guys people will speculate about them transferring. Hell, we saw Griffin transfer once he lost the #1 QB position, and he was very talented. I would have loved to have him in the fold when the **** hit the fan. Bottom line is every year there will be a group of kids who either decide the effort is too great for the reward or that they want playing time/more playing time and decide to go somewhere else.

Maybe I veered off target a little, but it is what it is.:sneaky:

I think that post is very much on target and probably correct.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
How is it "forcing" when a kid WANTS and FEELS that he should be Above the line?? He doesnt need a coach to tell him that hes 5th on depth chart behind some solid candidates for ACC All Americans......................... this lady needs to back tf up. Athletes want to play and they will go elsewhere if they cant make the 2 deep or theyll be scout team guys.
Im sorry if that seems harsh but am I not right??

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

It appears this woman is a high school principal.

Principal maybe. Illiterate for sure.

She has no concept as evidenced by the phrase “forcing them out”. Many more than this leave almost every team, and every year. And it has nothing to do with “too many on the team.” Where were these numbnutz when a lot more were leaving the team every year for the last 50 years?

And, for 2020 we haven’t signed a single damn S/A.