So who leaves? Attrition.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You forgot Snoddy. And, if you're going to throw Bay Bay and Hill in the "speed" category, then why leave out Dwyer, Smelter, Kirvonte, and the like? I don't think we've lacked for speed. CPJ certainly valued it in recruiting ... he would sometimes sign a RB recruit more because of his track accomplishments than his football accomplishments (see Snoddy and Kirvonte ... probably Jair Hawkins-Anderson too). Oh yeah, Juanyeh says to ask the Ugag kickoff team if we had any speed at all last year.

BayBay and Hill are verified 4.3 guys that played like it. Snoddy showed speed towards the end once he became comfortable with the position. Dwyer was probably a 4.3-4.4 guy his JR year (and came in first in a national meet while running a 10.7 100m his SR year in HS). Smelter had a burst, but I dont' think he would have broken 4.5. Kirvonte also has a burst, and I think he has time yet to show us what he can do.

Nothing against Juanyeh, or Kirvonte, or Jair Hawkins, but BayBay and Hill are elite speed guys that you didn't need stopwatches for...even though both verified it with real times. Same goes for JeT. Until we see it on the field consistently, I'm not putting anyone in the same level as BayBay/Hill/JeT...YET.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Nate C seems to fall into that category. When he got the ball in the previous system, he always seemed to be heading for and making the turn...with a ton of speed. Always seemed more like a track guy than traditional RB.
Never count out an extra year of maturity. It played big dividends during the Orange bowl run. Probably 5 or 6 guys came through that year that I had about counted out.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What makes yall think Graham will Transfer? He’s the backup QB right now and if he gets pushed back by Yates he can play WR. Tobias already getting snaps at Nickel shows you who the backup QB is right now.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Where is that expected attrition gonna come from then? 3 career ending injuries b4 fall?
I think 3 is not the issue this year - ae87 said that next year is the problem.

This year the 3 must be by august.

Next year w guys LOVING AND NOT LEAVING Gt and the new recruits coming we could actually have a log jam

Some research.
Hint Go to ramblin wrek - roster, list view, sort by year, go to rs junior , look at player stats, it's easy to find 2 have yet to see the field in 4 years at gt. Look at who wasnt mentioned in spring.

Will Bryan got a degree while playing in 4 years. Braun left w degree after 3 years. Klock did it in 3 years.

Imo
Player know and adjust thier plans based on facts.

Why u dont see the great news "" - we are becoming recognized as fun place where guys get to smile while playing football" - as a great great positive .

I sit behind bench w binoculars and watch the interaction during the post sideline meeting for oline. For what ever reasons Animal and cheese don't come to the games so they cant see this.

This mood change has already made players w degrees want to do anything to be a part of the program .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
BayBay and Hill are verified 4.3 guys that played like it. Snoddy showed speed towards the end once he became comfortable with the position. Dwyer was probably a 4.3-4.4 guy his JR year (and came in first in a national meet while running a 10.7 100m his SR year in HS). Smelter had a burst, but I dont' think he would have broken 4.5. Kirvonte also has a burst, and I think he has time yet to show us what he can do.

Nothing against Juanyeh, or Kirvonte, or Jair Hawkins, but BayBay and Hill are elite speed guys that you didn't need stopwatches for...even though both verified it with real times. Same goes for JeT. Until we see it on the field consistently, I'm not putting anyone in the same level as BayBay/Hill/JeT...YET.
Dont forget Morgan Burnett- elite on field speed. Buddy I took to orange bowl played db at small college. After the game he said Morgan Burnett- will play in NFL for a long time.

The guys u mentioned saw the field so well they were already started when thier opponents were still reacting. Then add natural speed and it wasnt even fair.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think 3 is not the issue this year - ae87 said that next year is the problem.

This year the 3 must be by august.

Next year w guys LOVING AND NOT LEAVING Gt and the new recruits coming we could actually have a log jam

Some research.
Hint Go to ramblin wrek - roster, list view, sort by year, go to rs junior , look at player stats, it's easy to find 2 have yet to see the field in 4 years at gt. Look at who wasnt mentioned in spring.

Will Bryan got a degree while playing in 4 years. Braun left w degree after 3 years. Klock did it in 3 years.

Imo
Player know and adjust thier plans based on facts.

Why u dont see the great news "" - we are becoming recognized as fun place where guys get to smile while playing football" - as a great great positive .

I sit behind bench w binoculars and watch the interaction during the post sideline meeting for oline. For what ever reasons Animal and cheese don't come to the games so they cant see this.

This mood change has already made players w degrees want to do anything to be a part of the program .

Where to begin........@Animal02 and @dressedcheeseside. They don’t attend a ton of games because they live nowhere near Atlanta.

I agree the team seems very positive and excited about this transition. Which is awesome. What guys are gonna want to leave such a fun place now?

I hope you are right about timeframe and we don’t have 3 ships too many before fall camp. I thought I read our most recent class put us 3 over for this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Where to begin........@Animal02 and @dressedcheeseside. They don’t attend a ton of games because they live nowhere near Atlanta.

I agree the team seems very positive and excited about this transition. Which is awesome. What guys are gonna want to leave such a fun place now?

I hope you are right about timeframe and we don’t have 3 ships too many before fall camp. I thought I read our most recent class put us 3 over for this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Again u miss the point or I was not clear.- I was giving animal and cheese a break by saying they don't come to games (0nly see to shots w little of the personal interaction. Animal is in Detroit and has his own arch business and cheese is in Jacksonville.

I was hoping u could tell what u see from your seats. Wife summed it up - why are they in little groups talking while the games going on.

Research - go to acoachcollinsctwitter thing and listen to coach key micd up
as he encourages the players while correcting them .

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Where is that expected attrition gonna come from then? 3 career ending injuries b4 fall?

Everyone is having fun, but no one is below the line yet. I would imagine being a college player and student at this level is tough, and we have a very demanding strength and conditioning program. Not everyone is going to be up for relentless effort until failure if they don't see a realistic chance to play, IMO. And that is understandable and ok.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No inside info but

Gant
Brashear
boe
Nate Cottrell
Damien Williams
Minihan
King
Cole

If it were me, (I know, it isn't) but if it were and I was Cottrell and Gant I would look into transferring to Kennesaw State. They were recruited for the triple option and there is just no role for either of them. King probably needs to be shopping his talents as well. Don't know about the others plus some people not on this list might have nagging injuries and decide it just is not worth it. I hate to say it but we probably would be better off with at least a half dozen leaving. ATL and all that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Smelter was not exactly a speed guy, but if you needed someone to get open for a critical catch, he was your man. He was a football player and carried himself like one.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not naming names and methods - just getting to the numbers.

Don't u agree we started w started w 27 and have 14 still here?

The point of the big numbers is not to parse each person but to show LIFE HAPPENS.

I was hired into Exxon pipeline w a ton of top engr types from around the country - one other was tech man. It was the biggest class in their history. There was a big meeting where the engrs voiced advancement concerns . Top boss said - only so many project manager brass hats available. About 50% were gone in 5 years and I left in 7 years. Life happens. Other tech guy recently retired w a big fat pension.

I'll agree that we started with 27 and 16 are still here. (I don't count medicals against us. We can't foresee those)

2015 and 2013 were brutal with attrition but they were the outliers, as there were several classes where we only lost 4-5 out of 20 or so, which is a much better ratio. One year snapshots are not good for diagnosing trends. We average 6.4 lost per class, including the medicals. That's a very manageable number.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Good return, but a LOT of it was really good blocking, and poor angles/arm tackling by the defense. Not taking anything away from Juanyeh on that return...but that wasn't a "pure speed" return. His only real challenge was getting by the punter which he did a great job of.

This is pure speed:

Those are examples of special angle erasing speed.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Everyone is having fun, but no one is below the line yet. I would imagine being a college player and student at this level is tough, and we have a very demanding strength and conditioning program. Not everyone is going to be up for relentless effort until failure if they don't see a realistic chance to play, IMO. And that is understandable and ok.

So it’s not more fun now?