So what did Joseph do?

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Was the article edited? I read it, and it did not say “as a heterosexual student-athlete.” It said this:

“Lastly, Monroe said that ‘I was ostracized and often made to feel uncomfortable by coach Joseph as a consequence of my sexual orientation.’”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Appears it was. There are more viewpoints added and the stuff about Monroe was cut down

slugboy

Staff member
If there are multiple players reporting inappropriate advances, harassment, and abuse, while some don’t, I’d favor the reports of the students saying that something did happen. It’s harder to come forward and say that vs not. For those who didn’t report anything, there are a lot of ways that they could have been spared or been unaware.

Joseph’s main argument now is the report is nearly fabricated. If that’s your argument, you need something to back it. In her position, the defendant and their attorneys usually share more with the press. The AA hasn’t shared much, but the report has been damning, and the press hasn’t had apparent trouble coming up with interviews.

What would happen with a jury is another story, but unless Joseph comes up with some really convincing evidence, I think she’s in trouble and TStan made the right move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree that just paying the $150k buyout and walking away was the correct thing to do. Can you imagine the **** storm GT would be in if it was discovered we knew about her behavior, but instead of doing something about it, we paid CMJ a buyout, swept the claims under the rug, and then allowed her to get another job somewhere else? TStan can at least spin this as taking action as soon as he learned about it and the previous ADs will hopefully catch more heat for not reporting it during their tenure.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
From the ajc article:
"On Tuesday, attorneys representing Joseph released statements, social-media messages and text messages from about 25 former players, staff and parents in defense of Joseph."

GT attorneys better have at least 26 to testify if this is gonna be a jury trial. So far they only have a handful. Based just on press reports Joseph has a helluva case.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
First - Joseph should be gone - full stop.

The rest is shaping up that legal costs for GT are likely going to be significant - whether over $150K or not I got no idea but could easily reach that level. Plus the internal time to get ready for trial and handling the discovery requests that are yet to come.

Simply paying her out freezes the legal process and gives her no ability to go after GT or especially to initiate discovery. She has no damages as we have fulfilled the contract.

Specific to the PR circus that is going on now - paying her out wouldn't have stopped all of it for sure and some from the past would have wanted to make their hurt known. But I expect several would have simply said - good, about time - and let sleeping dogs lie. As for any next job for Joseph, it was already known that we had initiated a review and she had been suspended. And it most likely was an open secret in the coaching world what she was like to deal with (note the number of transfers). So we are not liable for any next job she gets and I myself am not swayed by that argument.

And finally, while it may offend some folk's sense of morality or duty to pay someone out rather than give them the for cause firing they feel they richly deserve, that happens all the time and any attempt by the AJC or anyone else to make a big deal out of it would fall flat. It is simply an economic decision to avoid protracted legal expenses and in this case cut the legs out from any potential exposure for gender bias, personal bias or anything else a weaponized discovery process may find.

I have only seen reports that the payout was around $150K. If it is $700K or something like that then the economics likely change. But the AA better be cleaner than the preliminary reports/accusations from Joseph and a couple of others seem to say we are. That risk I don't know.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
From the ajc article:
"On Tuesday, attorneys representing Joseph released statements, social-media messages and text messages from about 25 former players, staff and parents in defense of Joseph."

GT attorneys better have at least 26 to testify if this is gonna be a jury trial. So far they only have a handful. Based just on press reports Joseph has a helluva case.
We don’t need more than her we only need the current players/parents. What has happened in the past adds depth to what the current situation was, it neither proves nor refuted it. If the investigation is solid and if it’s finding hold up I don’t think she has a leg to stand on.

If we settle that’s fine with me. But I don’t see much risk if the report is solid and if those interviewed back it up.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
From the ajc article:

That isn't the way a court case works, just sheer number of accusers/defenders. Have any of the defenders actually said that she didn't do what she was accused of? The ones I have seen basically say that she was demanding, but not abusive and that they respect her. That is not a defense of an accusation of abuse from a different person. It can be used as a profile of how she coaches, but unless a person saw incidents in question, it isn't a direct defense against that accusation. Not trying to compare Joseph to Sandusky(just pointing out the flaw in your statement), but if Sandusky had one more person say he was always a great guy than said he molested them, would he have been found not-guilty?

If this gets to court, it will be based more on the accusers and how credible their claims are. If the accusers claims are credible, it won't really matter how many people CMJ did not abuse. CMJ's counter claims will be judged based on whether GT violated Title IX or not. The counter claims will not be based on whether CMJ was a good coach/person or not.

Animal02

Banned
From the ajc article:

I do not know about a helluva a case, but the quotes from accusers praising her will damage their credibility a bit. Furthermore, if the accusations we're made years ago, and GTAA did nothing about them at the time, the case can be made that GTAA did not take them seriously. I don't think it is a slam dunk either way. Lots of dirty laundry will get aired if it is not settled. GTAA has far more to lose than the former coach.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If the buyout is $150k and we’re not paying it, we’re ignorant. That’s less than 6 months salary. That’s the equivalent of 300 hrs of legal fees which is easy to exceed in this type of case. If it’s $700k, it’s still probably a good deal.

The risk is if we’re on the losing side we’re saddled with punitive and/or compensatory damages plus are liable for attorney fees. It’s easy to argue we’re right and they’re wrong on the internet. In real life you face off in court and your witnesses don’t show, change their facts, get confused or maybe even perform fantastically. Sometimes the jury hates your lawyer, your organization, etc. Good luck winning & having the cost be less than an arbitrated/ negotiated payoff.

Maybe I’m the only person on this board that works for a company that gets frivolously sued on a regular basis.

Deleted member 2897

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/additi...d-abusive-treatment-from-coach-192117925.html

UNC now Northern Kentucky too?

fw86u.gif

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m curious if anyone knows how much money the women’s basketball program brings in versus how much it costs to operate. It seems to me that the program would be lucky to break even and now we are learning that GT will likely end up in court and could end up paying damages. Does the potential exposure from small athletic programs outweigh the benefits?

In Joseph’s defense, I thought all athletic coaches swore and demeaned their players. All of mine sure did. This didn’t make me want to complain about the coach; it made me work harder. There is obviously a line there but I haven’t heard anyone compare Joseph’s behavior to Bobby Knight’s yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because there is no comparison. Did she ever throw a chair across the floor?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The big difference there is the the members of the women's basketball team complained about Joseph; I've never heard of any player complaining about CPJ.

Not even poor old Embry Peeples who was grabbed and screamed at unmercifully in that famous or infamous photo with Coach Johnson. Great player and never a moment's trouble from him. Maybe he thought this was what college football coaches do anyway.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Look,

I’m on the young side so I’m might not have the same opinions as a lot of the board here, but if the language used to Coach Jo in the reports is accurate, then it is grounds for firing. I don’t care what was acceptable in the past, how others had been treated. That is not an acceptable way to treat people who you are supposed to be leading and encouraging and trying to make better. End of story.

Son, forget the high school coach I had, my father yelled worse, far worse things at me for doing stupid stuff in games but that was nothing compared to the time I committed a personal foul in a game. The rule was you ran one lap per yard. 15 laps after practice was about 4 miles. No more dumb *** mistakes from me after that.