So what did Joseph do?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Did you bother to read the post I was replying to?

Yes. But she won't be able to make a Title IX claim comparing her treatment with the treatment at another university 20 years ago. To show that the she is treated differently that men's coaches, I was describing what she is actually accused of, not just cursing. Can you point to a GT men's coach who picked a single individual to berate for entire practices?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This whole mess is now in the settlement phase. That phase often looks like a Siberian mud wrestling event to outside observers, but is usually taken very calmly by those involved.

I'll be shocked if this goes to trial. I'll also be shocked if GTAA doesn't pay *something* to finish this up.

Frnakly, this is done and our focus should be on "whos next" as our coach rather than following the theatrics of the Siber...er, legal settlement machinations.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This whole mess is now in the settlement phase. That phase often looks like a Siberian mud wrestling event to outside observers, but is usually taken very calmly by those involved.

I'll be shocked if this goes to trial. I'll also be shocked if GTAA doesn't pay *something* to finish this up.

Frnakly, this is done and our focus should be on "whos next" as our coach rather than following the theatrics of the Siber...er, legal settlement machinations.

I agree. You throw everything but the kitchen sink out there at this phase because there is nothing to lose and no judge to throw anything out. If you go to trial, it is a different ball game and both sides have something to lose. Think about it, if you're Coach Jo, do you go to trial unless you are 100 percent sure you're going to win and get enough money to never have to work again? No way. I wouldn't be surprised if the two sides are already throwing numbers back and forth as we speak.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
A couple left the team, but, according to what was released, EVERY player on the team had complained about the treatment.
I'm not defending MJ by any means but she's been here a good long time and just now she's been accused of being this way? Something has changed. MJ? Has she suddenly developed a problem where she needs meds? Something in the overall culture where the trigger point has changed? IDK (well, yes I do...I lied :-0 )

GT_EE78

Banned
I'm not defending MJ by any means but she's been here a good long time and just now she's been accused of being this way? Something has changed. MJ? Has she suddenly developed a problem where she needs meds? Something in the overall culture where the trigger point has changed? IDK (well, yes I do...I lied :-0 )
Yup , just doesn't seem plausible that this all started within the past year. I suspect there was some triggering event that we don't know about yet. ( thank goodness for leaks, more honest than media and prepared legalese)

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think her response is most likely an attempt at a settlement with a non disclosure attached to it. If a gets that, it will be much easier to get another job. I doubt it goes to a jury.
Absolutely. The lawyers will most likely arrive at a middle point somewhere. I’d be surprised that’s not the case.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. You throw everything but the kitchen sink out there at this phase because there is nothing to lose and no judge to throw anything out. If you go to trial, it is a different ball game and both sides have something to lose. Think about it, if you're Coach Jo, do you go to trial unless you are 100 percent sure you're going to win and get enough money to never have to work again? No way. I wouldn't be surprised if the two sides are already throwing numbers back and forth as we speak.

Just to pick at your logic for a second - I think Joseph at this point doesn't have much choice but to go to trial - or at least push this action really aggressively to a settlement. If she doesn't then the report that GT put out is her legacy and she doesn't work again. So she goes forward at this point almost regardless of the chances of winning as it is the only thing she has.

As an outsider for sure, she strikes me as highly competitive and a crusader of sorts. If/when she goes forward she is going to have a huge hammer in being able to access a ton of GT information/emails/conversations through discovery. That allows her to do a fishing expedition for bias against her and bring in the Title IX stuff. The risk to GT in that of some real issue or even just a random bad looking email are significant.

If as is being stated, she was owed about $150K on her contract, I am floored GT didn't just fire her from the team and pay her out. I don't see where "for cause" is worth the time and trouble here.

GT_EE78

Banned
[QUOTE="If as is being stated, she was owed about $150K on her contract, I am floored GT didn't just fire her from the team and pay her out. I don't see where "for cause" is worth the time and trouble here.[/QUOTE]
You're right that this doesn't sound like the cost efficient approach, but would GT have liability for not revealing all that they know (which may already be included in whatever was reported to NCAA) should she be hired elsewhere and similar problems occur? (just sayin that "cost-efficient" may not be the ethically correct thing to do)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Past employers will almost always simply say so and so worked here from start date to end date with no other information. No ethical reason to provide more and a lot of legal reasons to not say anything else. There would be the smoke about all this in the papers which new employers would be able to see but the internal report and everything else would stay private. She could and likely would rail against GT but it would be a whisper in the wind overall and there would be no liability to GT.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Did you read the internal investigative report?

Do you believe that it only states that she cursed at the players? Which men's program coach is allowed to pick one player per practice and berate that player non-stop during the practice with cursing? If you are saying that the men's coaches do exactly what CMJ is accused of, then you are saying that at least one of them does that.

That behavior on her part constitutes grounds.

kurtinatlanta

Georgia Tech Fan
If there are NCAA violations attributed to her, all the other stuff is pointless for her. The NCAA part is cause enough for firing.

Her rebuttal claims that she was cleared of some unspecified NCAA violations, but was not informed of that fact: "Most notably, on or around February 8, 2019, GT failed to notify me of a communication from the NCAA that it had cleared me and my team of all level I and level II violations. As you are aware, [REDACTED] had made my contract renewal contingent on this investigation, and [REDACTED] knew this decision was much anticipated by me and my agent."

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
So this is not a good read for GT....

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https://twitter.com/UKCoachDunn/status/1111116071409467393&widget=Tweet

Tweeted by her former “coach” at Purdue, Lin Dunn.
That is the biggest crock of sanctimonious bull**** I've seen yet. Every player as well as numerous others associated with the program all made accusations that Joseph was abusing the players yet despite all of that evidence this dingbat sides with the coach and doesn't believe any of the players or staff. This clown wants us to blame GA Tech. Then decides we all need to side with justice. Nothing like reading the ramblings of a SJW. I guess it's just a coincidence that her former coach/lover is pushing that crap on Twitter.

kurtinatlanta

Georgia Tech Fan
Coaches covering for coaches.

I disagree. The article makes some good points. The author has no inside knowledge of Tech, she's just projecting her experience into the situation to help us understand how you can get these two conflicting views of the same situation. Coaching women's college is always a battle for resources since you are usually a cost center, not a profit center. And then you throw Title IX into the mix and it gets murkier since now you constantly arguing over what "equal" means.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. The article makes some good points. The author has no inside knowledge of Tech, she's just projecting her experience into the situation to help us understand how you can get these two conflicting views of the same situation. Coaching women's college is always a battle for resources since you are usually a cost center, not a profit center. And then you throw Title IX into the mix and it gets murkier since now you constantly arguing over what "equal" means.

But the idea proposed in the article is: To not to pay any attention to the actions of CMJ, and don't dwell on the accusations by the players. The article is to concentrate solely on the unequal treatment by GT. GT is responsible for the toxic atmosphere of the women's basketball program.

This article is even more vague than CMJ in what the actual unequal treatment was supposed to have been. It basically says that even if CMJ was abusive towards the players, that we should overlook it and group the coach and the team together as victims of male dominated sports. If someone wants to be fair, then that person should look at GT and see if they have indeed violated Title IX with respect to women's sports programs. However, that person should also look at CMJ's actions and see if was abusive towards the players. If both accusations are true, then the WBB players have been victims of GT and of CMJ. Don't allow wordsmithing to hide the alleged wrongdoings of CMJ behind alleged wrongdoings of the GTAA.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
="If as is being stated, she was owed about $150K on her contract, I am floored GT didn't just fire her from the team and pay her out. I don't see where "for cause" is worth the time and trouble here.
You're right that this doesn't sound like the cost efficient approach, but would GT have liability for not revealing all that they know (which may already be included in whatever was reported to NCAA) should she be hired elsewhere and similar problems occur? (just sayin that "cost-efficient" may not be the ethically correct thing to do)

This route may have been necessary to save the team and athletes as 13 of 13 did not trust her as noted earlier.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Her rebuttal claims that she was cleared of some unspecified NCAA violations, but was not informed of that fact: "Most notably, on or around February 8, 2019, GT failed to notify me of a communication from the NCAA that it had cleared me and my team of all level I and level II violations. As you are aware, [REDACTED] had made my contract renewal contingent on this investigation, and [REDACTED] knew this decision was much anticipated by me and my agent."

So "redacted" wanted her fired so badly he kept a problem with the NCAA under wraps?

Yeah, makes sense.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So this is not a good read for GT....

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https://twitter.com/UKCoachDunn/status/1111116071409467393&widget=Tweet

Tweeted by her former “coach” at Purdue, Lin Dunn.

Sorry, I think this article is garbage. She is arguing we should excuse CMJ's mistreatment of players because she was stressed out dealing with the mean sexists at the GTAA? This is SJW stuff. The person from the "marginalized" group can never, ever be at fault.