Should the Fire Geoff Collins thread be locked?

Should the Fire Geoff Collins thread be locked?

• No - leave it as is

Votes: 91 48.9%
  • Yes - lock it temporarily

Votes: 33 17.7%
  • Yes - lock it permanently

Votes: 62 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't even know why we should have to vote about it. I think CGC is doing the best he can do. Fail or Succeed, leave it at that. He is doing his best. He loves Georgia Tech. He wants to succeed more than anyone. This is his dream job. If he has another bad season and is fired then that is that. But in the mean time he is our head football coach and I think it shows a great deal of disrespect to a human being who is doing his best and has done nothing morally wrong.
Nobody said he did anything legally or morally wrong in that thread or anywhere else. It's a kind of straw man argument. I've said in that thread that I'm sure he's a good fellow - a family man. The thread is about competence, and whether he has enough of it to be our head coach. And he has about 20 million reasons not to be felt sorry for.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I missed the window to vote. Looks like we have majority support for locking it, though a plurality supports leaving it as is. I don't really favor locking it because it could be a nice catch-all for people to discuss these same old issues and *hopefully* keep them out of other threads. I would be in favor of renaming it something innocuous like "coaching speculation/opinions" or even "Geoff Collins' Future" or something like that. Fire Collins in all caps is a bad look to be at the top of the site every single day.

Honestly, the negativity overall has caused me to post here less than before, anyway.

So I say, leave it and rename it, and make it clear that posts of that nature be kept in that one thread or else.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Nobody said he did anything legally or morally wrong in that thread or anywhere else. It's a kind of straw man argument. I've said in that thread that I'm sure he's a good fellow - a family man. The thread is about competence, and whether he has enough of it to be our head coach. And he has about 20 million reasons not to be felt sorry for.
I understand. And I am not saying that everything spoken in that thread is negative. But the title carries a negative connotation. I personally think it has been up long enough.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The amount of hand wringing about that thread is absolutely pathetic. There's more conversation about the thread polluting other threads by the same half dozen or so posters triggered by it then there is within the thread itself at this point. It's like some of you guys have never spent any time in the online sports world.

Let me offer a simple solution to those who are bothered by it. Ignore it. Don't open it. Don't read it. If that's something you are not capable of then it's a you problem and not a GTSwarm problem. To those who think it hurts the program somehow you're delusional. This is a small time message board of a small time fan base. Nothing we do here matters. No one here is important enough for that. It doesn't reflect any worse on the board nor is it any more disrespectful than what you would find on any team who sucks' forum of any medium. Spoiler alert guys. The team sucks right now. Not everyone is wired to be a cheerleader when you have to wait until year 4 to crack a double digit aggregate win total. Learn to deal with it. I personally think its hilarious how often the smear of 'being content with mediocrity' was thrown around the past few years and now that the team is awful you hear 'don't talk about it. it's not productive!'

I also think this poll is a colossally stupid idea. Just adds fuel to a fire that was only embers at this point. Be a moderator and just make a decision. Lock it or don't lock it. It doesn't matter. The team sucks so people are going to ***** about the coach where they want when they want. Though if you do close it I'm not sure what the people who are so agitated by it are going to have to point to when they need to feel their fandom is somehow superior or 'more productive' then someone else's.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what the people who are so agitated by it are going to have to point to when they need to feel their fandom is somehow superior or 'more productive' then someone else's.
That's what we need a separate thread for, the better-than-thou crowd who tells everybody else how to be an elite fan. Cram all that folderol into one spot and ignore it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think that’s right. I’m a soft hearted person and hate to see someone who is struggling criticized. But, college football is big business with a lot of money and people’s well being relying on it. You don’t want someone who’s not up to the job leading your program anymore than you want someone incompetent flying your airplane.

I wish CGC well in life and hope he can make a go of it in coaching. But the amount of criticism he is receiving is certainly nothing compared to the boatloads of money he carts to the bank.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The amount of hand wringing about that thread is absolutely pathetic. There's more conversation about the thread polluting other threads by the same half dozen or so posters triggered by it then there is within the thread itself at this point. It's like some of you guys have never spent any time in the online sports world.

Let me offer a simple solution to those who are bothered by it. Ignore it. Don't open it. Don't read it. If that's something you are not capable of then it's a you problem and not a GTSwarm problem. To those who think it hurts the program somehow you're delusional. This is a small time message board of a small time fan base. Nothing we do here matters. No one here is important enough for that. It doesn't reflect any worse on the board nor is it any more disrespectful than what you would find on any team who sucks' forum of any medium. Spoiler alert guys. The team sucks right now. Not everyone is wired to be a cheerleader when you have to wait until year 4 to crack a double digit aggregate win total. Learn to deal with it. I personally think its hilarious how often the smear of 'being content with mediocrity' was thrown around the past few years and now that the team is awful you hear 'don't talk about it. it's not productive!'

I also think this poll is a colossally stupid idea. Just adds fuel to a fire that was only embers at this point. Be a moderator and just make a decision. Lock it or don't lock it. It doesn't matter. The team sucks so people are going to ***** about the coach where they want when they want. Though if you do close it I'm not sure what the people who are so agitated by it are going to have to point to when they need to feel their fandom is somehow superior or 'more productive' then someone else's.
I remember well the snide “content with mediocrity” charges under the last coach. Never once did I hear, “Keep your opinion to yourself, you’re hurting the program, we’re stuck with him so deal with, you’re embarrassing yourself and making Swarm look stupid.”

What I wouldn’t give for that level of mediocrity now. 😊

JacketFan137

Banned
I remember well the snide “content with mediocrity” charges under the last coach. Never once did I hear, “Keep your opinion to yourself, you’re hurting the program, we’re stuck with him so deal with, you’re embarrassing yourself and making Swarm look stupid.”

What I wouldn’t give for that level of mediocrity now. 😊
i would say this is a straw man argument as well as there were certainly massive paul johnson can do no wrong people (myself included). even today we have people that have twisted reality into believing some years were much better than they were.

regardless being a tech fan is depressing enough as is and it even was when paul johnson was head coach and bailey before him. now we have people that are choosing to just be miserable for months on end and want to proudly advertise that at the top of the page. i think it gives a pretty bad picture of what this forum should be and the longer it’s left up it’s just going to encourage more negativity and reactionary opinions.

ultimately i don’t know what the answer is but i think it’s just unnecessary at this point considering we have another 9 months til anything can even be discussed on that thread.

i also have to add it’s ridiculous how many people want to use this discussion as some sort of political statement comparing it to like fascism or dictatorships lol it’s a forum it’s not that big of a deal and it’s weird energy to cry censorship about

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow

Bravo!

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure, close it.It will probably get re-opened soon enough.
Probably within an hour. This is dumb. It’s a message board, not the NYT editorial board (although I would wager that one has some sophomoric stuff being debated there too).

Want it to go away ? Hope CGC figures it out. Even if it does some will complain about him like some will complain about the next HC. Good grief.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To be honest I was never unhappy as a Tech fan before now. And even now “unhappy” is probably too strong a term. The closest I came was with Bill Lewis but I just skipped being a football fan those years.

JacketFan137

Banned
To be honest I was never unhappy as a Tech fan before now. And even now “unhappy” is probably too strong a term. The closest I came was with Bill Lewis but I just skipped being a football fan those years.
i think i’ve been more mad in certain moments for sure. there’s been some awful losses tech has had. pick any gailey uga loss or wakeforest or paul johnson losing to uga in 2009 and 2013, or random no shows vs duke or UNC, or USF

collins hasn’t really had a singular frustrating event like those but rather a culmination of them that is creating general apathy in the program. ultimately idk what’s a worse feeling. things need to change for sure. hopefully we have a good spring and come out healthy and turn this years close losses into wins. we’ll know pretty quickly where we stand cause we’ll be tested soon into the season with clemson and ole miss

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
i think i’ve been more mad in certain moments for sure. there’s been some awful losses tech has had. pick any gailey uga loss or wakeforest or paul johnson losing to uga in 2009 and 2013, or random no shows vs duke or UNC, or USF

collins hasn’t really had a singular frustrating event like those but rather a culmination of them that is creating general apathy in the program. ultimately idk what’s a worse feeling. things need to change for sure. hopefully we have a good spring and come out healthy and turn this years close losses into wins. we’ll know pretty quickly where we stand cause we’ll be tested soon into the season with clemson and ole miss
I think Citadel was an exceptionally low point for me. Then came NIU when I honestly thought we were going to be better.

But I agree that the over all tone of each season has created a certain amount of apathy. Speaking just for me, we could lose our early games but if we came out well disciplined, hard hitting and playing smart football my mood would improve drastically. It’s the constant feeling of “we don’t have a chance” that is demoralizing.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think Citadel was an exceptionally low point for me. Then came NIU when I honestly thought we were going to be better.

But I agree that the over all tone of each season has created a certain amount of apathy. Speaking just for me, we could lose our early games but if we came out well disciplined, hard hitting and playing smart football my mood would improve drastically. It’s the constant feeling of “we don’t have a chance” that is demoralizing.
in regards to your last point, which i agree with, i think that you share the minority view. based on the way people talk in here, i think anything short of a win and the fire collins chants will be loud and clear everywhere. i think because of the results he’s lost that privilege in the eyes of most fans

i’m more worried about the future. we now have a significant and vocal portion of fans that refuses to accept paul johnson’s shortcomings and i think they’re gonna just rally to go right back to the option because a bad hire means we have to be an option school no matter what. i think tech fandom will somehow get MORE toxic here soon lol

for everyone’s sake and sanity i hope collins can at least make us look like a regular 7 win team doing something other than the option