Should the Fire Geoff Collins thread be locked?

Should the Fire Geoff Collins thread be locked?

• No - leave it as is

Votes: 91 48.9%
  • Yes - lock it temporarily

Votes: 33 17.7%
  • Yes - lock it permanently

Votes: 62 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would hope the committed posters here would recognize that the current state of the program is unprecedented in the modern social media era.

And so the thread is manifest of both the frustration and ability to easily vent. I would likewise hope that moderators recognize this avoid the temptation to enable, basically, censorship of “disapproved” content.

The thread will die naturally when enough people avoid and disregard. And that choice — if not taken away — lies with each of us.
Meanwhile, the rest of us have to see it in bold at the top of the first page every time someone "feels the need to vent." No thank you. I'm okay keeping this one open as I've ignored the OP and don't have to see it at all. But I think the solution to something like this is to pin these types of threads to the second page or something else.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think most fans will support improvement if they see it, even if we don’t win 7 or 8 games. The problem I see is if the results are ambiguous. Then confirmation bias will set in for all sides.

I’m one of those who feels CPJ wasn’t treated fairly by a very vocal minority of fans almost as if he was being judged by a different standard because his offense hurt their eyes. Here too I think the majority of fans don’t care what offense we run as long as we win. That certainly fits me.

The open question for me is whether Tech needs a “special offense” to succeed. All I know is this has often been the case in the past. Heisman, Dodd and Ross being prime examples of unique and innovative offenses. O’Leary is the only successful coach I can think of that was fairly conventional. Gailey certainly was but his offenses underperformed in my opinion.
I agree with all of this except the part about Coach O'Leary. Ralph's genius was in developing an offense suited for Joe Hamilton's unique talent set and one that incorporated bits and pieces of several different schemes including the wishbone. It was remarkable. A couple of things I read that Ralph talked about were that he liked having the option incorporated into his offense just to make other teams worry about it even if Tech only ran it a couple of times a game and he could run it from the "I" or the wishbone as circumstances warranted. Secondly, he mentioned that when he went to the pros with Coach Ross he learned the importance of matchups and how to exploit them. Having Dez White and the super fast split end whose name escapes me made for ready made mismatches. It was the blend of power running from a long line of tough running backs like Joe Burns, using a fullback like Ed Wilder when the occasion demanded it and the potential for big plays from Hamilton and his blink quick receivers that made the offense so much fun to watch. It helped to have a very good offensive line too.

As you said it was conventional in how it looked at times to casual fans but unconventional in how the offense was used. As to whether or not a "special offense" is needed...well, with the defenses we have had for the past decade, they better be "special" as in scoring just about every time Tech gets the ball.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
You can lock the thread, but then my fear is that it simply infects all the other threads. I voted to keep it open in the hope it would limit that type of chatter to one location (which I can then easily ignore).

It's a bit like the inevitable old coach argument that goes on incessantly, in particular with regard to CPJ and his TO offense. Some folks apparently hated all that so much they still bring it up. Others loved it so much they pine for it. Then viola, you get the Antifa vs Proud Boys arguments in a thread about something totally different!
Lets just all submit a list of threads to be closed. Seems more fair. Citizens should not be allowed to show frustration with the current administrarion.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all of this except the part about Coach O'Leary. Ralph's genius was in developing an offense suited for Joe Hamilton's unique talent set and one that incorporated bits and pieces of several different schemes including the wishbone. It was remarkable. A couple of things I read that Ralph talked about were that he liked having the option incorporated into his offense just to make other teams worry about it even if Tech only ran it a couple of times a game and he could run it from the "I" or the wishbone as circumstances warranted. Secondly, he mentioned that when he went to the pros with Coach Ross he learned the importance of matchups and how to exploit them. Having Dez White and the super fast split end whose name escapes me made for ready made mismatches. It was the blend of power running from a long line of tough running backs like Joe Burns, using a fullback like Ed Wilder when the occasion demanded it and the potential for big plays from Hamilton and his blink quick receivers that made the offense so much fun to watch. It helped to have a very good offensive line too.

As you said it was conventional in how it looked at times to casual fans but unconventional in how the offense was used. As to whether or not a "special offense" is needed...well, with the defenses we have had for the past decade, they better be "special" as in scoring just about every time Tech gets the ball.
Kelly Campbell is the receiver whose name escaped me. My apologies to Mr. Campbell who was a tremendous target for Joe Hamilton and a fine compliment for Dez White.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
It absolutely should not be locked. He is the head coach of our major sports program and has led us to historic losses in his three years as head coach. His methods have been questionable at best and his apathy and arrogance toward the interest of the fans and media toward the program has been horrible. He is on par with, if not worse than, the worst coach in our history ('92-'94) and is in a position of having to win a minimum of 6 games and go to a bowl game to keep his job.

This board is no better or worse than those of major programs and for fans who have witnessed great highs ('90, '98, '08-'09, '14), as well a lot of lows, why should there not be a specific place to comment on our head coach's current standing with regard to his job status. Is some stuff overboard? Yes, likely. But, if we all wanted rainbows and unicorns, we'd go back to The Hive.....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It absolutely should not be locked. He is the head coach of our major sports program and has led us to historic losses in his three years as head coach. His methods have been questionable at best and his apathy and arrogance toward the interest of the fans and media toward the program has been horrible. He is on par with, if not worse than, the worst coach in our history ('92-'94) and is in a position of having to win a minimum of 6 games and go to a bowl game to keep his job.

This board is no better or worse than those of major programs and for fans who have witnessed great highs ('90, '98, '08-'09, '14), as well a lot of lows, why should there not be a specific place to comment on our head coach's current standing with regard to his job status. Is some stuff overboard? Yes, likely. But, if we all wanted rainbows and unicorns, we'd go back to The Hive.....
Everyone has already heard everything you have to say, multiple times. Time for you to let it go until next season.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Everyone has already heard everything you have to say, multiple times. Time for you to let it go until next season.
Thanks Dad. I’ll take it under advisement. 😏

I think everyone has heard you quite a bit as well. If you want to accept this horrendous state of our program, that’s fine. I saw a national title when I was in school 32 years ago and want to see that again, not this incompetence.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Dad. I’ll take it under advisement. 😏

I think everyone has heard you quite a bit as well. If you want to accept this horrendous state of our program, that’s fine. I saw a national title when I was in school 32 years ago and want to see that again, not this incompetence.
Okay, tell me something, anything, that you haven't already said multiple times. Anything.