Season Ticket Email - Mayhem at MBS adds $105/per seat

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm in upper 107 and nobody cheers much except for the older guy and his grown kids behind me who are great fans. I'll be sad if they don't renew. The rest you wouldn't know if they are at the game or not.
Im in 107. Your not allowed to stand up there bc old people behind you cant see and tell you to sit down. What a joke

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Also...$430 isn't buying lower level sideline seats with Tech Fund. It buys upper level corners and lower upper north (where my seats are).
The guy that started this thread specifically mentioned that this price is for section 105/107. I’m assuming you know where those sections are.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
The guy that started this thread specifically mentioned that this price is for section 105/107. I’m assuming you know where those sections are.

I'm assuming you know what the Tech Fund requirements are for those sections. Nobody gets seats in those sections for $430 alone.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m planning on buying a couple season tickets this year. Or my new wife will. I may work a second job again that allows us to fly for free. So, I think that season tix will be my ask for taking it on and losing income at my primary employment.

I also live 1,500 miles away so I need to be able to fly for free.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Im in 107. Your not allowed to stand up there bc old people behind you cant see and tell you to sit down. What a joke

This happened to me at the N C State game. My ST are in 121, top row so I can stand the whole game. Got tickets in 204 for that game and was reprimanded each time I stood up by a much older crowd who said "some of us want to watch the game." I loved the seats and was considering moving my tickets up there until that. I'll continue to put with being in the young alum section where most don't pay attention to the game, but I can stand and cheer loudly through out the game.

I'm sure the people who reprimanded me have given more money to GTAA than I can imagine and have seen GT football through it's ups and downs. BUT, c'mon man. Watch them at home and give that money you pay for tickets to the AT Fund. My dad refuses to go to the games because he likes sitting, he is almost 70 after all, but he is still a die hard GT fan and lets the world know.

The death sentence for anything is sticking to the phrase "The way we used to do it..." and not realizing that change must take place for things to change. The price going up on ST is one of those things. Know that things will only get better if the GTAA has more cash on hand to do the things it needs to do to get us where we want to be. Who cares that you remember when gas was a nickle and a new car was $2,500. Times have changed and time will continue to change.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I can vouch for the stinger pass being more than worth it for those who become sheepsih on the price.

I only had one bad game experience (Pitt cause it put us in the visitor fan section) but also had some really good seats (second row with noone in front of us at the NC state game). It's a good deal for people looking for the value option.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The death sentence for anything is sticking to the phrase "The way we used to do it..." and not realizing that change must take place for things to change. The price going up on ST is one of those things. Know that things will only get better if the GTAA has more cash on hand to do the things it needs to do to get us where we want to be.

Tech generates a decent amount of revenue but is also saddled with legacy costs for coaches who don't coach anymore and facility construction in sports that don't generate revenue. Overall, it has had very poor management for many years. In my 40+ year relationship with Tech, the only period of time when the AA was professionally managed was the Homer Rice days.

Raising prices without improving the product assumes your customers are dumb and should bear the costs for your own poor decisions. They can and will vote with their pocketbook.

Here's what I would tell TStan …. "Raise my prices, no problem. But get rid of all the mom and pop concessions and put in professional catering management organizations that can provide good food options and queue speed. And enforce the discount that they are supposed to offer but don't. And get an app like Starbucks to process cashless. Finally, provide a special lane for STH's to get to their seats." That alone would make me feel better.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech generates a decent amount of revenue but is also saddled with legacy costs for coaches who don't coach anymore and facility construction in sports that don't generate revenue. Overall, it has had very poor management for many years. In my 40+ year relationship with Tech, the only period of time when the AA was professionally managed was the Homer Rice days.

Raising prices without improving the product assumes your customers are dumb and should bear the costs for your own poor decisions. They can and will vote with their pocketbook.

Here's what I would tell TStan …. "Raise my prices, no problem. But get rid of all the mom and pop concessions and put in professional catering management organizations that can provide good food options and queue speed. And enforce the discount that they are supposed to offer but don't. And get an app like Starbucks to process cashless. Finally, provide a special lane for STH's to get to their seats." That alone would make me feel better.

Yes, you’ve got to improve the product to make cost increases easier to swallow. Getting people to come to games is about the product, and that doesn’t just mean wins. The gameday experience at BDS is poor, and being a STH doesn’t seem to get you anything. If it does get you something, it’s usually just the fact that you paid more for your seats than non season ticket holders. The AA runs specials and promos for almost every game aside from Clemson, UGA, and now ND. Those other games’ tickets are commonly sold (by the AA) for a fraction of what STH paid per seat. When our Thursday night game tickets are being sold for $15 each, which includes a food voucher...what’s the value in being a STH?

Just to clarify, when I talk of possibly dropping my season tickets, I’m not talking about dropping my financial support for the program. If I drop my tickets, I’d still give my funds to the AA. If anything, that would help the AA more. I’m specifically talking about the ticket cost and the “product”...the results on the field, the quality of opponents, AND the overall gameday/gametime experience being worth the cost. Much less an increase.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I'd just like to be able to get some suds.

I agree GTAA management has been atrocious for a long time. They should have lowered ticket prices, or at least held the line.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure what response you're looking for with a post like that... but I'm sure many would be sorry to see you go and hope you change your mind.

Maybe our staff is simply betting on itself at this point. Maybe they've seen how many new season ticket deposits we have for next year and are confident in increasing prices to help get to the next level.
Not looking for any particular response. Just putting out there the thoughts of one long-time loyal fan. It just feels like they’re raising the price of loyalty on those of us who were there for last year’s season. If they’re not going to prepare well enough to beat an FCS team or be competitive within our weak conference, then maybe I shouldn’t pay even more to support them. I would argue that the program’s contribution is what is most lacking. All of that being said, I looked at the numbers and they’d have to drive away a pretty substantial percentage of us for this not to pay off financially, at least in the short term. As a GT alum, I can’t argue with the math. I suppose they weren’t going to draw any new fans after last year, so they might as well bleed their most loyal fans.

martinezjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been a STH for 5 years in school and 8 more since getting out. I'm stoked for these games at MBS and am excited to see something unique that may be among my sons first memories. I'm damn proud to be Tech grad and fan and will drag my wife (UGA fan) to every single game until she sees the light or I'm dead.

That $105 or possibly $35 is well spent in my mind. Especially considering that our coach and AD are doing everything they can to build a culture in Atlanta that convinces others it's worth experiencing. We may disagree with parts, but if they try, I'll support them.

That's all I have to say about that...

It took one GT-uga game for my wife to see the light. Life long uga fan until she got to actually see how they treated other fans during a game. It also helped that we also saw two drunk uga fans get tossed out of BDS for fighting each other.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Yes, you’ve got to improve the product to make cost increases easier to swallow. Getting people to come to games is about the product, and that doesn’t just mean wins. The gameday experience at BDS is poor, and being a STH doesn’t seem to get you anything. If it does get you something, it’s usually just the fact that you paid more for your seats than non season ticket holders. The AA runs specials and promos for almost every game aside from Clemson, UGA, and now ND. Those other games’ tickets are commonly sold (by the AA) for a fraction of what STH paid per seat. When our Thursday night game tickets are being sold for $15 each, which includes a food voucher...what’s the value in being a STH?

Just to clarify, when I talk of possibly dropping my season tickets, I’m not talking about dropping my financial support for the program. If I drop my tickets, I’d still give my funds to the AA. If anything, that would help the AA more. I’m specifically talking about the ticket cost and the “product”...the results on the field, the quality of opponents, AND the overall gameday/gametime experience being worth the cost. Much less an increase.

I fully agree. I hope that in the end of season evaluation survey that was sent out that you included that information. I usually eat before or after the game and bring in a bottle of water, just a cheaper option for me. But I am in total agreement with yall that compared to other D1 game day experiences, GT is severely lacking. BUT, to do renovations, the GTAA needs $$$ (AI2020 is doing very well).

As much as I hate uga, they did their recent stadium renovations well. Going to other campuses and finding what works well there and incorporating it into your stadium is the way it should be done. Our arrogance that we know how to do everything has hurt us in the past (see upper North).

I have faith in ADTS that he will get the GTAA turned around, but it will take time. He's only been here 2 years. It may take close to 10 years to get it where it should be, but he is out every day trying to stop and turn around a train. I hate to keep saying it, but it will take time. I also believe that he will soon be releasing a master plan for BDS@HGF in the near future if I recall his most recent Toddcast correctly.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think a discussion of prices independent of game day experience is a little silly. As I said before, prices probably won’t affect any of our choices; most of us are going to buy them regardless because we’re superfans. It’s why we’re on this site.

But going to games that take four hours, not counting travel time (which continues to get worse in town), with 2:30 for commercials every few minutes in 95+ degree heat with expensive parking and concessions to see a team that lost to the Citadel is a tough ask for a lot of people, particularly when that person can sit at home and watch in a more comfortable chair, in 72 degree weather, with their own booze and in 4K. You do have to listen to bad announcers, though.

I’m buying two tickets this year, because I buy them every year. I’ve got a three year old, a one year old, and one coming any minute. The likelihood that I buy more than two in the near future is low, and price relative to experience is a major reason why. And, ultimately, I think not having the next generation of customers creating traditions of going to games is, among other factors, going to continue to erode attendance.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

He has e-mail. And would probably appreciate getting feedback from a loyal fan.