Season Ticket Email - Mayhem at MBS adds $105/per seat

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Still having a hard time understanding what Georgia’s ticket prices have to do with ours. We aren’t a top 10 team. Teams that go 3-9 and increase prices most likely see a drop in attendance.

We're trying to compete with them and need money to do it. It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario... especially with Tech fans. Tech fans will complain if we aren't Top 25 but many don't want to pay Top 25 prices to get there.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t see how this could do anything but drive away fans. I saw some of the worst football I’ve seen in BDS last season. After attending almost every home game for 23 years, I was already considering taking a break from my season tickets, and this might just be the tipping point. It’s a time commitment in addition to the financial cost, and honestly I might just skip baking on the metal bleachers through September and watching another Clemson beat down. I’m thinking I’ll take the money I would have spent on season tickets and buy better seats to Miami, ND, and which ever other games I might want to go to on stubhub. I’d rather not pay the same amount to feel compelled to watch this staff learn to coach while we struggle to beat Gardner Webb and stay in the game for a half against UCF in the September heat.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t see how this could do anything but drive away fans. I saw some of the worst football I’ve seen in BDS last season. After attending almost every home game for 23 years, I was already considering taking a break from my season tickets, and this might just be the tipping point. It’s a time commitment in addition to the financial cost, and honestly I might just skip baking on the metal bleachers through September and watching another Clemson beat down. I’m thinking I’ll take the money I would have spent on season tickets and buy better seats to Miami, ND, and which ever other games I might want to go to on stubhub. I’d rather not pay the same amount to feel compelled to watch this staff learn to coach while we struggle to beat Gardner Webb and stay in the game for a half against UCF in the September heat.

Not sure what response you're looking for with a post like that... but I'm sure many would be sorry to see you go and hope you change your mind.

Maybe our staff is simply betting on itself at this point. Maybe they've seen how many new season ticket deposits we have for next year and are confident in increasing prices to help get to the next level.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We're trying to compete with them and need money to do it. It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario... especially with Tech fans. Tech fans will complain if we aren't Top 25 but many don't want to pay Top 25 prices to get there.
30% increase in prices doesn’t help if you lose 25% of your attendance. It’s pretty basic math.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
30% increase in prices doesn’t help if you lose 25% of your attendance. It’s pretty basic math.

And keeping prices the same doesn't compete with ever growing budgets. It's also basic math and why I said damned if you do and damned if you don't with GT fans.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
So the NFL blacks out all games that aren’t sold out still right? So what gives? Falcons games look about 60% full every time I watch. I guess the seats are sold, but no one attends. Kind of odd isn’t it?
No the NFL doesn’t blackout games that aren’t sold out. They blackout games where 85% of the tickets aren’t sold within 72hrs of the game. Tickets aren’t subsidized. That was a blatantly false statement. Once again, the ticket being sold has nothing to do with the ticket actually being used. The Falcons sell 85% of their tickets because if you don’t buy your tickets, you lose your PSL and all the money you paid for that PSL. So no it’s not odd that the seats are sold but people might not go, because if you don’t pay, you lose everything.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And keeping prices the same doesn't compete with ever growing budgets. It's also basic math and why I said damned if you do and damned if you don't with GT fans.

Playing Devil’s Advocate, the population of Metro Atlanta has grown from 2.2M (1980) to 5.9M (2018), and Tech attendance has declined from 55-60K to 40-45K.

Tech has not been adding new fans to the mix to give them pricing power.

As Tech continues to market to younger audiences, it runs the risk of replacing $430/seat tix (plus the $500 AT contribution) with a $195 Stinger Pass. A demographic trap.

I’m sure they calculated the renewal rate they need to break even at the higher prices, but it looks challenging.

When I was in real estate, the rule was get to 95% occupancy and continue to raise rent as long as you maintain that level. Tech is around 70%, depending on the game.

As long as supply is abundant, raising prices should lower demand even further.

All this moot though if you simply don’t care what the attendance is. It’s all just programming content. Sadly, I think that’s the long term case for college football in general.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It does if you only lose 10%. It’s pretty basic math. You’re being deliberately obtuse here for whatever reason.
Yep. Very true on the math. But we will see how attendance looks this Fall. Last year we had the lowest two attended games in the past 25 years. People are already not going, yet we are raising prices. It’s not going to go well. As I said earlier, there are much easier ways to capture increased revenue and make fans feel good about it.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yep. Very true on the math. But we will see how attendance looks this Fall. Last year we had the lowest two attended games in the past 25 years. People are already not going, yet we are raising prices. It’s not going to go well. As I said earlier, there are much easier ways to capture increased revenue and make fans feel good about it.

Attendance will be down for sure, but it will be because of UGA not being on the ticket imo.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Attendance will be down for sure, but it will be because of UGA not being on the ticket imo.
My guess is that season tickets will be at a 20+ year low. Actual attendance to games will depend on how we perform. If we continue to stink it up you will see more of what we saw against Pitt and NC State. A half empty stadium.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The powers that be should employ a pricing promotional strategy that encourages purchasing season tickets NOW. For example, if fans think that the product will get better, that tickets will become scarce and, eventually, that premiums, instead of discounts, are going to accompany Stubhub tickets (think a Rolling Stones concert), then guarantee a current, fixed price for season ticket purchases for some period of time - like ten years - for those who purchase season tickets now, and at the then season ticket price as new season ticket purchases occur in future years, and keep those prices fixed at the time of initial season ticket purchase, as long as you continue to renew. If you felt you could “invest” in seats long term for a fixed price and, for those games you could not attend, that you could sell them without taking a beating, season tickets might be more attractive to the less-than-diehard Tech fans. At the very least, you would feel you were buying in at a price now - and “locking it in” - as prices would only be going up over time.

LibertyTurns

Banned
My guess is that season tickets will be at a 20+ year low. Actual attendance to games will depend on how we perform. If we continue to stink it up you will see more of what we saw against Pitt and NC State. A half empty stadium.
I wish they’d post last year’s season ticket sales. Don’t remember the specifics but there were cheers when day 1, week 1, month 1 sales rocketed but then crickets after that. I suspect season ticket sales went flat and ended up below comparable years but this is just a suspicion. The absence of news like previous years makes you go hmmmmm. When the year’s financial report comes out you can back into the data so it’s not like anyone couldn’t figure it out if they wanted to.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

As someone that works in a hospitality industry (and I think sports are similar as you are selling an “experience “), I think when you have such low attendance as we have had last year/recent years, you also have a huge revenue increase potential if you keep prices where they were, and do more to make the experience better. Attracting new fans/customers by improving the experience is almost always easier than trying to retain current customers through a price increase, when the product is already poor and demand isn’t there. I’ve seen so many of my competitors fail doing this. Raising prices during low demand/low quality experience, thinking those customers were loyal regardless of price. If you’re under 70% reservation/capacity in sales, you don’t raise prices. You make the product better before doing so.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s been this way forever, it’s pretty cut and dry. It sucks to look at.

This isn't true but seems to be repeated often. I've been to every Tech-UGA game since 1997. They always show up at Grant Field, but last year was by far the worst it has ever been.

Look, this isn't about complaining. Ultimately as Tech fans we all want the same thing - for the stands to be full and the AA to be flush with as much cash as possible.

It's ultimately about economics. The demand for season tickets is not inelastic - the cost of tickets has an effect on how many are sold. If it didn't why not raise it $200? $300?

I hope the math works out and we make more money without losing too many ST holders. Expressing concern that it might not is not about being cheap or complaining....or *shudder*...OLD!

Also...$430 isn't buying lower level sideline seats with Tech Fund. It buys upper level corners and lower upper north (where my seats are).

Last edited: