Rotating QBs good or bad ?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
For the few who don't think it matters to the other 10 players here is what a Tech player said

We’ve just got to make sure the quarterback is on the same page with the running back and the blocking scheme on the perimeter. So we all need to be on the same page. For a couple drives there, we were doing that.”

GTFLETCH

Banned
For the few who don't think it matters to the other 10 players here is what a Tech player said

We’ve just got to make sure the quarterback is on the same page with the running back and the blocking scheme on the perimeter. So we all need to be on the same page. For a couple drives there, we were doing that.”
I assume the couple of drives were when Tobias was at the helm...

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Part of the issue with the OL has to be missed assignments. I guarantee they are not getting physically whipped every bad play we have. Usually missed assignments are compounded by trying to do too much. To this point I have been really unimpressed with just how bad our passing game looks. It looks every bit as inept as when PJ did it and the talk was that is was inherent in the scheme. I will admit that some of it is talent driven, but some of it is also coaching. Have we even passed for more than 150 yards in a game yet (I truly don't know)?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Part of the issue with the OL has to be missed assignments. I guarantee they are not getting physically whipped every bad play we have. Usually missed assignments are compounded by trying to do too much. To this point I have been really unimpressed with just how bad our passing game looks. It looks every bit as inept as when PJ did it and the talk was that is was inherent in the scheme. I will admit that some of it is talent driven, but some of it is also coaching. Have we even passed for more than 150 yards in a game yet (I truly don't know)?
We are like 28 of 52 for 352 yds after three games..... That is on Coaching... We could have a quick passing attack with screens and such..IMHO

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think it's a doomed philosophy. Correlation doesn't equal causation, right? Where's @GTNavyNuke? He's usually making the most thorough arguments for this very philosophy.

From my observations, I definitely understand where this QB decision is coming from. The ATL philosophy is dependent on the baseline of where the line is. The line is a moving average of talent level. If we had better QB talent, some of our current guys would not be ATL. We don't have a guy who can do what we need, so what gives us the best chance, with THIS scheme, is a combination of the guys. We even saw this work well with CPJ - Vad and Tevin together put up a very good offensive year. The different styles/strengths/speeds was an extra variable for the defenses to deal with. Thomas and Byerly (wish we'd had that guy in 2015) to a lesser exten. That's not exactly the same as what we're doing now, but it isn't totally different either. There were times when we were down at the end of the game that I was wishing CPJ would put in the better passer because we were going to have to pass every down due to the situation.

I don't blame the offensive woes on the QB situation or the coaching decisions in that regard so far. I don't foresee a different outcome in any of the three games if we were only playing 1 QB instead of all 3. I do think it could be more effective if they could screw with the defense by running some Tobias plays with Lucas and vice versa more often. That way the defense has to play more honest. But, then you're not playing to each QB's strengths.

I'm hoping James Graham becomes Nick Marshall. That's who he reminds me of. But, if he is Nick Marshall, do we have and/or will we run an offense that takes advantage of him as such?

Thanks Vamos. Yes I have made detailed arguments about the benefits a couple times over the years. I still think multiple QBs are the way to go in most situations. If I get the time and energy, I'll comment in detail on this thread.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We even saw this work well with CPJ - Vad and Tevin together put up a very good offensive year. The different styles/strengths/speeds was an extra variable for the defenses to deal with. Thomas and Byerly (wish we'd had that guy in 2015) to a lesser extent. That's not exactly the same as what we're doing now, but it isn't totally different either.

I can understand bringing in a bigger QB when you are at the goal line or 3rd and very short and are planning to challenge the Dline directly. I can understand giving a couple of series to a different QB to play to a different strength. I don't understand putting a different QB in on 3rd and long to try a timing or rhythm passing play. I wouldn't say that it isn't possible for that to work. I just don't see how it would, especially if the timing/rhythm passing game hasn't been working in the game before that point.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
If we are 1-7 with four games to go, I say just start Yates the last four games since it won’t hurt his redshirt. Would be a great opportunity to get him real game experience while still having him eligible for four full years.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Currently, Oliver gives us the best chance to win NOW. I don't even know how that's debatable at this point.

I don't know what LJ brings to the table. He looks indecisive and slow out there to me. I'm not sure why he's labeled the "passer" of the group cause I have yet to see him really make a great throw.

Graham is an x-factor here cause he seems to able to do some of both but he's probably a turnover waiting to happen.

Yates should be spared from having to play behind this OL. Nothing good can come of that.

It’s debatable because we have installed a RPO and he can’t do the “P” part of that.

TO should be on the field yes, but a QB has to pass unless you are running a triple option. If TO is the only way to win right now let’s go back to the real option scheme and play him. If you want to move forward into our new sets then get a QB who can pass — whoever it is.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
No one has time to pass with the line play we have had. I won’t judge LJ too harshly because of the poor protection he has had. Teams have to be built line first, then skill players. It’s gonna take time and recruiting to get respectable again. All that said I do believe Oliver could have athleted us to victory over Citadel and that is what we should have done. You are supposed to design your game plan to what you can do well, not what you want the program to be in the future. We just aren’t ready yet. Add the online injuries to the mix and it’s just been a perfect storm.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
We don’t agree on many things but in this case I think the thing about rotating QBs because of the ATL strategy is exactly “messaging.” There’s no evidence in CDPs past and, in fact, CGC + CDP at Temple together, that indicates they WANT to use a 2 QB strategy. So I suspect we’re getting a heavy dose of coach-speak in this regard because CGC doesn’t want to come right out and say none of our guys have stepped up to be able to do everything we need.

BTW I think Tobias Oliver is just a flat out football player!!! I don’t think the coaches are pulling our legs when they say he is one of the most gifted athletes they’ve ever coached.

The last paragraph is the key. Oliver is a pro level athlete not a pro level QB. Let’s get him on the field in a role where he end up playing on Sundays just like coach talks about. This is important for the future of the program.

Let LJ start and play through bad and good. Modify the offense to recognize the line is a patchwork that never going to be even good. That means rollouts, screens and shorter passes. (Can you imagine Oliver on the bubble screen play, on the outside one on one with your typical DB...shades of Bey Bey going to the house) In the running game it means sweeps and option pitches.

It’s frustrating to watch us not adjust to the reality of the situation. Our coordinator needs to be more creative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Per Brent Key, “If the offense can’t tell a difference between the 2 QBs then it’s ok. QBs have 2 different skill sets.”

I think of it as a leadership issue. Some guys just have it even if they aren’t as talented.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, there's something wrong with LJ...even before the sling. Watch the past spring games he participated in. He was explosive, and had better agility. He's running by LBs and DBs with ease. He was more confident in his throws and not throwing them in the dirt. Something is "off" with him. Even going back to his HS tape, he's throwing darts and backshoulder throws...it's beautiful.

He looks nothing like the recruit we signed or the guy that had two huge runs and nice passes in past spring games. Hopefully he gets healthy.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not adverse to the QB platooning but can’t see the logic in how we’re doing it. That plus this dilemma:

QB A- 4.5 ypa, 2.5 ypc
QB B- 6.8 ypa, 4.9 ypc
QB C- 11.5 ypa, 1.7 ypc

If you’re not playing QB B the most, then QB C and mop up duty for QB A you’ve got a system I really can’t logically defend.

How is yards per attempt higher than yards per completion?
Typo?
Assuming you’re just looking at passes. I’d probably do a combo of YPP and YPA and a couple of other things. I also think we’d probably give the most time to the same guy.

I really liked the Graham + Oliver combo. I wish Graham could have played.

LibertyTurns

Banned
How is yards per attempt higher than yards per completion?
Typo?
Assuming you’re just looking at passes. I’d probably do a combo of YPP and YPA and a couple of other things. I also think we’d probably give the most time to the same guy.

I really liked the Graham + Oliver combo. I wish Graham could have played.

Ypc was yards per carry running the ball. Sorry should have made that clearer.