Rotating QBs good or bad ?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Re watching coach's presser, it's all be confirmed that his style is going to be rotating QBs around depending on the package as a permanent thing, just like rotating other positions out.
I've never seen this in college football, at least to this degree..
What are some pros to this,

I've heard lots of negatives mainly mainly about how it never gets a QB enough time to settle in and then the risk of injury to all at the same time

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If there was even a debate as to what the pros are to this other teams would do it. No one does. There are no pros to this at the qb position
I guess I look at like the complaints about us going with cpj as our last coach, people said there were no pros, no one runs the option anymore etc. And to our surprise we had some good runs

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Re watching coach's presser, it's all be confirmed that his style is going to be rotating QBs around depending on the package as a permanent thing, just like rotating other positions out.

I've heard lots of negatives mainly mainly about how it never gets a QB enough time to settle in and then the risk of injury to all at the same time

They say the pros to rotating them is forcing the other team to prepare for multiple looks and confuse them. Unfortunately our O is the only side of the ball that has looked confused.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
From my experience, QB changes throughout a drive are bad for an offensive’s rhythm unless there is a set package for a specific QB like Meyer did with Tebow in 2006.

When I played (albeit it was high school ball), as a receiver, anytime we had to change QBs in a drive, whether it was for injury or what not, I felt very out of tune with what was going on.

I think having Lucas come in on obvious passing downs is dumb and actually unfair to him. Collins’ thought that QBs are the same as safeties or what not is misguided, IMO.

Animal02

Banned
From my experience, QB changes throughout a drive are bad for an offensive’s rhythm unless there is a set package for a specific QB like Meyer did with Tebow in 2006.

When I played (albeit it was high school ball), as a receiver, anytime we had to change QBs in a drive, whether it was for injury or what not, I felt very out of tune with what was going on.

I think having Lucas come in on obvious passing downs is dumb and actually unfair to him. Collins thought that QBs are the same as safeties or what not is misguided, IMO.
I played center......similar issues....snap exchange.....cadence of the snap count......

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
The only time I can remember it ever being somewhat successful was back when UGA used Preston Ridelhuber ? & Lynn Hughes ,one ran the ball the other mostly passed.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I don't support the rotating QBs that we've seen. The cons outweigh the pros, imo.

That said, there seems to be a disconnect in messaging from Patenaude and Collins. Pat is on record saying he prefers one person to step up and be "the guy". If I understand correctly, that's his history and also his history with Collins, even though it took a while to find "the guy" at Temple.

With that, my opinion is that CGC is providing air cover for what amounts to a QB situation he wishes he otherwise didn't have. In other words, there are going to be major flaws no matter which direction he goes.

Again, despite that, do I believe that CDP and CGC could make better decisions already? I believe so. But I don't think long-term he prefers 3 or even 2 QBs to get even snaps. Just an opinion and am open to be convinced otherwise if something doesn't change by EOY, and especially next year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't support the rotating QBs that we've seen. The cons outweigh the pros, imo.

That said, there seems to be a disconnect in messaging from Patenaude and Collins. Pat is on record saying he prefers one person to step up and be "the guy". If I understand correctly, that's his history and also his history with Collins, even though it took a while to find "the guy" at Temple.

With that, my opinion is that CGC is providing air cover for what amounts to a QB situation he wishes he otherwise didn't have. In other words, there are going to be major flaws no matter which direction he goes.

Again, despite that, do I believe that CDP and CGC could handle the in-game rotation better already? I believe so. But I don't think long-term he prefers 3 or even 2 QBs to get even snaps. Just an opinion and am open to be convinced otherwise if something doesn't change by EOY, and especially next year.

Probably.

But i am convinced we can take oliver put together a more complete option package and a half field read play action and pass package from the gun that can be successful. I think we have too much clutter in the plays available

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's go with Yates. Stronger arm. All I have seen is jump ball passes lob passes no one throws . I think oliver threw the ball once. Where is the arm strength? I know we can use short passes all they arr run game extension.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Probably.

I think we have too much clutter in the plays available

This is something that I think is the biggest issue. There are clearly vastly different packages and vastly different philosophies depending on who’s behind center and I think that, more than just changing the actual QB, is the real issue. As you put it, it’s clutter. It’s a clutter in philosophy because they want to do drastically different things when 8 is in versus when 7 is in versus when 4 is in. I can imagine that’s extremely overwhelming for a group of guys who are already making a drastic change from last year.

Let's go with Yates. Stronger arm. All I have seen is jump ball passes lob passes no one throws . I think oliver threw the ball once. Where is the arm strength? I know we can use short passes all they arr run game extension.
Actually Oliver was 2 for 3 and the throw to Camp was a dart. Go back and look at the throw to Searcy last year. Once they let him throw it was a decent ball.

SpanishMossGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I admit that I’ve been curious to see how LJ could perform on the field since spring 2017. I seem to recall him galloping for a 50-yard gain during the spring game, but I’m in too much of a “I don’t give a shat” mode to look it up. Needless to say, now that my curiosity has been satisfied and, if Graham was in a boot, as some have stated, is it time to throw Yates in the QB rotation? Based on his HS video, he runs better than LJ and passes better than TO. The system we’re running right now seems to be simple enough for any true freshman to handle.