Rotating QBs good or bad ?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't support the rotating QBs that we've seen. The cons outweigh the pros, imo.

That said, there seems to be a disconnect in messaging from Patenaude and Collins. Pat is on record saying he prefers one person to step up and be "the guy". If I understand correctly, that's his history and also his history with Collins, even though it took a while to find "the guy" at Temple.

With that, my opinion is that CGC is providing air cover for what amounts to a QB situation he wishes he otherwise didn't have. In other words, there are going to be major flaws no matter which direction he goes.

Again, despite that, do I believe that CDP and CGC could make better decisions already? I believe so. But I don't think long-term he prefers 3 or even 2 QBs to get even snaps. Just an opinion and am open to be convinced otherwise if something doesn't change by EOY, and especially next year.

The master of “messaging” doin his thang.

murrayjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I am not familiar with a single other coach that has stated a similar philosophy. Certainly, other coaches have played multiple quarterbacks under certain circumstances or when nobody had separated themselves from the pack. However, the idea of sharing snaps to the extent we do with the ATL concept seems to be unprecedented to me. I have to believe that when we find "the guy", we'll have ourselves a starting QB like every other team in existence.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Now that I think about one of the other issues is that , if coach wants to build an NFL calliper team, this just isn't how it's done in the NFL

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m not adverse to the QB platooning but can’t see the logic in how we’re doing it. That plus this dilemma:

QB A- 4.5 ypa, 2.5 ypc
QB B- 6.8 ypa, 4.9 ypc
QB C- 11.5 ypa, 1.7 ypc

If you’re not playing QB B the most, then QB C and mop up duty for QB A you’ve got a system I really can’t logically defend.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Auburn has a complete team under one coach for several years. We're trying to field a team.
So it's ok in a few years , but not in a transition.?

I it ain't a timing thing. Its a talent
Auburn has a complete team under one coach for several years. We're trying to field a team.

Aren't both of the qb s at auburn - true freshmen? Both look like a starting qb.

Gus was on way out- now he has rolled the dice and is calling the plays . So u thought it is a program under major offense system stress I will look into how he is doing the pt sharing - we look ineffective

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Never mind - there us no comparison . I seldom have watched teams beside ga tech play.
I just watched Auburn on SEC replay. It was boring, but they have a giant OL that block with out falling down . Nix looks in total command. The other qb is a running beast.

We are in development they are a team.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Re watching coach's presser, it's all be confirmed that his style is going to be rotating QBs around depending on the package as a permanent thing, just like rotating other positions out.
I've never seen this in college football, at least to this degree..
What are some pros to this,

I've heard lots of negatives mainly mainly about how it never gets a QB enough time to settle in and then the risk of injury to all at the same time

I have never seen this done but once. The Head Ball Coach famously rotated quarterbacks EVERY play in a game against FSU and would be "coaching up" the guy on the sidelines It worked but that was Spurrier and he had two very good quarterbacks to work with. One of them is a commentator for ESPN now but I can't think of his name. As far as what we are doing? We don't have the HBC, the talent of Florida's offensive line, their receivers or their quarterbacks so I don't see this working out very well. Never know, maybe there is a method to the madness and it just needs time to come to fruition but I have seen all I need to see of LJ and TO to know that TO is my quarterback until James is ready and I tailor the offense to what he can do.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Re watching coach's presser, it's all be confirmed that his style is going to be rotating QBs around depending on the package as a permanent thing, just like rotating other positions out.

I've heard lots of negatives mainly mainly about how it never gets a QB enough time to settle in and then the risk of injury to all at the same time

There is nothing positive that can come out of a rotating QB system. You must have a leader to take charge of your offense, otherwise continuity will never be established. Even when Bammer had both Tua and Hurts on the roster, there wasn't a back and forth QB rotation occurring.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have never seen this done but once. The Head Ball Coach famously rotated quarterbacks EVERY play in a game against FSU and would be "coaching up" the guy on the sidelines It worked but that was Spurrier and he had two very good quarterbacks to work with. One of them is a commentator for ESPN now but I can't think of his name.

The first sip of success Spurrier had rotating quarterbacks was in 1997, alternating Doug Johnson and Noah Brindise to upset second-ranked Florida State 32-29.

"Every now and then if you can do it, it can work," Spurrier said. "Usually, it doesn't work for a long time, though. It's one of those quick-fix things."

In 2008, Spurrier rotated Garcia with Smelley in a 34-21 win over Arkansas only to lose 56-6 the following week at Florida using a similar strategy.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Generally speaking rotating QBs is a bad idea. In our case we only have bad choices. Oliver is a dynamic player but he isn't a QB and can't do the things we need our QB to do, and almost certainly won't develop them. We could probably play him, go extremely rush heavy, and we might end up 3-9 for the efforts, but it's really just putting off the problem for a year and considering this year is going to be bad no matter what it doesn't make sense. We need to take as many lumps as we can this year, not push them off until next year.

If LJ was a tr FR coming out of highschool things may have been different, but he isn't. He's spent the last 3 years in a different offense that did nothing to prepare him for what he is being asked to do and he just isn't the same athlete as he was before the injury.

The best thing about Graham right now is we haven't really seen him. It feels a lot like how people were talking about LJ over the summer though. Most likely he isn't ready to start and throwing him into the fire could just hurt his development more than help. Same can probably said about Yates.

There isn't a good choice to be made here. Some our probably better than others, but that doesn't make them good. IMO, if healthy, Graham should be the QB for the next 5 games and have a chance to really show what he is got. Mix in some wildcat stuff with Oliver but otherwise continue transitioning him to his other roles. If Graham shows promise during those 5 games, then have him finish the season. If not, put in Yates for the last 4 and keep his redshirt but get a feel for how he does in a game scenarios. We have to have a good idea of where we stand with QBs going into the spring. We also need to not burn Yate's redshirt because even if he's the QB of the future he won't make a significant impact on the outcome of this year's games, and a potential 5th year is of more value.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The first sip of success Spurrier had rotating quarterbacks was in 1997, alternating Doug Johnson and Noah Brindise to upset second-ranked Florida State 32-29.

"Every now and then if you can do it, it can work," Spurrier said. "Usually, it doesn't work for a long time, though. It's one of those quick-fix things."

In 2008, Spurrier rotated Garcia with Smelley in a 34-21 win over Arkansas only to lose 56-6 the following week at Florida using a similar strategy.

That is it. He alternated Doug Johnson who was a very good athlete with a rocket arm but a propensity for doing dumb stuff with steady eddy Brindise. It did work much to the delight of the Gator faithful but he had a lot more to work with and he is a Hall of Fame coach while Coach Collins is a work in progress to say the least.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Big time defender of CGC here, and I definitely don't like the way the QBs are being rotated right now. I could see giving each guy a couple drives in the first couple of games to see who emerges, but switching them mid-series doesn't work. Whenever Lucas came in, the defense just bull rushed him, leading to sacks whereas they would have had to respect the run with TO.

I don't think we have an answer at QB unless Yates gets to the point that they are comfortable starting him.

We could go with Oliver but running him heavily in the offense we are running now is not going to work against ACC competition (It would have worked against the Citadel, though)
Lucas may be able to read the defense but he is lacking arm talent and he doesn't scramble well enough when the O-line turns guys loose, which they do at least once per series.
Graham looks the part most of all, but is hurt, and missing the Citadel game is going to hurt him, I think.

Yates needs to get himself into the mix, in my opinion.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Generally speaking rotating QBs is a bad idea. In our case we only have bad choices. Oliver is a dynamic player but he isn't a QB and can't do the things we need our QB to do, and almost certainly won't develop them. We could probably play him, go extremely rush heavy, and we might end up 3-9 for the efforts, but it's really just putting off the problem for a year and considering this year is going to be bad no matter what it doesn't make sense. We need to take as many lumps as we can this year, not push them off until next year.

If LJ was a tr FR coming out of highschool things may have been different, but he isn't. He's spent the last 3 years in a different offense that did nothing to prepare him for what he is being asked to do and he just isn't the same athlete as he was before the injury.

The best thing about Graham right now is we haven't really seen him. It feels a lot like how people were talking about LJ over the summer though. Most likely he isn't ready to start and throwing him into the fire could just hurt his development more than help. Same can probably said about Yates.

There isn't a good choice to be made here. Some our probably better than others, but that doesn't make them good. IMO, if healthy, Graham should be the QB for the next 5 games and have a chance to really show what he is got. Mix in some wildcat stuff with Oliver but otherwise continue transitioning him to his other roles. If Graham shows promise during those 5 games, then have him finish the season. If not, put in Yates for the last 4 and keep his redshirt but get a feel for how he does in a game scenarios. We have to have a good idea of where we stand with QBs going into the spring. We also need to not burn Yate's redshirt because even if he's the QB of the future he won't make a significant impact on the outcome of this year's games, and a potential 5th year is of more value.

I wouldn't worry too much about Yates' redshirt, except for his sake. He will face competition from Tuck Gleason on day 1, and we will be recruiting QBs every year. Kinda surprised we haven't added a second to the 2020 class.

Last edited:

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck

BAD!

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Big time defender of CGC here, and I definitely don't like the way the QBs are being rotated right now. I could see giving each guy a couple drives in the first couple of games to see who emerges, but switching them mid-series doesn't work. Whenever Lucas came in, the defense just bull rushed him, leading to sacks whereas they would have had to respect the run with TO.

I don't think we have an answer at QB unless Yates gets to the point that they are comfortable starting him.

We could go with Oliver but running him heavily in the offense we are running now is not going to work against ACC competition (It would have worked against the Citadel, though)
Lucas may be able to read the defense but he is lacking arm talent and he doesn't scramble well enough when the O-line turns guys loose, which they do at least once per series.
Graham looks the part most of all, but is hurt, and missing the Citadel game is going to hurt him, I think.

Yates needs to get himself into the mix, in my opinion.
If there was a chance for Yates to play, it was Saturday. Things just did not work out like they should have. Does anyone have any inside knowledge of how he's progressing? I watched a few Milton games last year and he sure looked the part.