Rotating QBs good or bad ?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Something to think about: Tobias has 2 more years of eligibility after this year. It seems to me that Collins and Patenaude see Tobias’ future at a position other than QB. Unfortunately, the other QBs haven’t done enough yet to inspire confidence, and Tobias is the only one on the roster who can consistently move the ball. I think they’re struggling with trying to transition Tobias for success in his future role while also trying to win games now. Tobias could have real potential to get drafted as a receiver or 3rd down back. The longer Tobias stays at QB, the more his post-QB development gets delayed. But we need to win games. If James Graham can be the guy (because it doesn’t look like Lucas can), then Patenaude should stick with him and just move Tobias to his new position. Clean break. But if no one else can helm the offense competently, I think Patenaude needs to face that fact and stick with Tobias for the time being and hope that someone else can show out next offseason. I think Collins is hoping for a Braxton Miller/JT Barrett situation, but that may not be the reality here right now.

This is a good take. Agree completely.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes after 38 years of season tickets if this OC is here next year I don't see a need to buy season tickets again. I hate it I love Tech but just can not put up with him after this year.

Hang in there till after season and then add up pluses and minuses.

Its darkest before dawn.

Its always about strength up the middle.

All the injuries to c g c have added an extra complication for the qb and the oc.

Its a lot of little things.
Think about the number of off target / low snaps from a senior center. Low snaps, new offense, lots of very young ol subs, early season all add up to indecisive play.
Cooper is, imo , slightly injured .
I know that Morgan was supposed to get playing time at center but he got hurt in practice.

The ol will get better and then we can judge the oc.
I can assure tstan is watching tge details and will is looking for A MORE EXPENSIVE UP GRADE

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is really going to help GT Football get to where it needs to be.
Well I'm to the point I really don't care. Of all the D1 teams in college football only one team has scored less than us Northwestern at 47 points. If this OC is still here next year it will tell me what I was thinking about CGC I was wrong.

NorthsideJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Eh... I really disagree here. I love Tobias. I watched him command my son's HS football team for two years, and he was a stud on the field and a great kid off it. However, he has never been a good passer, most games were like 4/10 80 yards or so. He was a great runner, but he is no running back (tall and lean). They would run at least one play a game where he would split out and when he did he was 100% getting the ball thrown to him - worked about 50% of the time.

Has he even lined up yet as WR in a game?

He is a great athlete and that is why he excelled at HS ball but also why no other big time programs fought over him.

Although i agree with much of what you've said above, I don't think you are completely fair with the passing numbers that you quoted -- yes those were approxiamate averages for his Soph & Junior seasons (I assume the years your son was in school), but in his senior season, his slash line was closer to 10 / 16 / 123yds per game. Again, i'm not claiming that he's a great passer, but as he matured physically in his senior year, his throwing greatly improved, and he's only gotten bigger and stronger since being at GT.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So let's see what the future holds for our QB's next year. Eligibility next year.

Gleason 5 years to play 4.
Yates 4 years.
Graham 3 years
Oliver 2 years
LJ 2 years.

That's too much eligibility left.
Who leaves and who changes position. Something has to give.

I think LJ transfers if he is not the definite starter.
TO changes position if JG or LJ starts.
JG changes position or transfers if not the starter.
Yates stays at least next year.
Gleason redshirts.
It doesn t look like Yates will even get into 4 games this year the way things are going. This all changes with a major injury to one of the first 3.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I dunno. I don't think the situational swapping is as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

On 3rd and 9 they trot out Lucas to replace Tobias. We're gonna throw it anyway, why not put in the better passer? It's not like it's gonna be a surprise. Lucas is athletic enough to run it, but as someone else pointed out, he just doesn't look the same. He looked very tentative against USF and Citadel.

Using a wildcat QB to run on occasion can make sense. Putting in a cold passing QB occasionally on third and long to throw a timing pass or to read the defense doesn't make sense to me. It sometimes takes time in a game for a QB to get comfortable with the defense and the timing. That QB isn't going to be in rhythm. Putting in a cooled off QB on third and long who has already not been effective on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down in that very same game against the very same defense makes even less sense.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Using a wildcat QB to run on occasion can make sense. Putting in a cold passing QB occasionally on third and long to throw a timing pass or to read the defense doesn't make sense to me. It sometimes takes time in a game for a QB to get comfortable with the defense and the timing. That QB isn't going to be in rhythm. Putting in a cooled off QB on third and long who has already not been effective on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down in that very same game against the very same defense makes even less sense.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but the coaches see the guys in practice every day. Purely conjecture, but what if Tobias has a 29% conversion rate on 3rd and 7+ in practice and Lucas has a 49% conversion rate? Even if he's coming in "cold", Lucas might be the better option. At the very least he can see the defense from the sidelines.

I'm not trying to justify anything - I'm not a fan of rotating qb's, either - I'm just trying to wrap my head around why they're doing what they're doing. I don't think, however, that putting in the better passer on 3rd and long is a bad thing but the reality is it hasn't panned out. I do think, however, that our execution along the OL has been pretty spotty and that has contributed mightily to our problems. Compounding all of that is some really weird play design.

Still tho ... [weird, click link if video isn't embedded]

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We only have 1 QB on the roster (not being redshirted) who is a true dual threat guy in the RPO and that’s Graham. If we go with Oliver, it does nothing to help the team grow for next year. But we gotta get Oliver on the field in the slot. Graham is the first QB I’ve seen in a GT uniform who has the skill set of Joe Ham since Joe left.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If we go with Oliver, it does nothing to help the team grow for next year.

I remember statements from Leo Mazzone when he was on the radio. He basically said that you have to do everything you can to win now. If you intentionally throw games or throw a season to "prepare" for next year, you are "preparing" for what you believe your roster might be next year. There is no guarantee that Graham will be on the team next year. I don't predict that he won't be, but there are many potential reasons why any player might not be. Coach Collins might not even be the coach next year. Once again, not predicting that Collins won't be to coach, but better job offers, walking in front of a bus, family issues, ..... Unlikely, but many possible reasons.

Prepare, yes. However, don't throw away what you have for something you might not even have in the future.

We only have 1 QB on the roster (not being redshirted) who is a true dual threat guy in the RPO and that’s Graham. If we go with Oliver, it does nothing to help the team grow for next year. But we gotta get Oliver on the field in the slot. Graham is the first QB I’ve seen in a GT uniform who has the skill set of Joe Ham since Joe left.

and I totally disagree. Oliver is our starting Qb. Graham is a sack waiting to happen. We are a running football team. Always have been

So I read this crazy stupid post that we need to put Tobias where he might have a chance in the NFL receiver etc. Bull crap , he is our staring QB. Under that logic we should have put the following at other positions...

Shawn Jones
Joe Hamilton
Reggie Ball
Josh Nesbitt
Tevon Washington
JT5

None of them were ever going to be NFL quarterbacks. We are here to win college football games, not prepare players to go to the NFL

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So I read this crazy stupid post that we need to put Tobias where he might have a chance in the NFL receiver etc. Bull crap , he is our staring QB. Under that logic we should have put the following at other positions...

Shawn Jones
Joe Hamilton
Reggie Ball
Josh Nesbitt
Tevon Washington
JT5

None of them were ever going to be NFL quarterbacks. We are here to win college football games, not prepare players to go to the NFL
Didn’t Shawn Jones and Joe Hamilton both have brief stints as NFL quarterbacks?