ILB: Bruce Swilling, Justice Dingle
OLB: Charlie Thomas, Jaquan Henderson
OLB: Quez Jackson, Jordan Domineck
SS: Tariq Carpenter, Kaleb Oliver
FS: Juanyeh Thomas, Christian Campbell
CB: Tre Swilling, Jaylon King
CB: Zamari Walton, Ajani Kerr
N: Jaytlin Askew

Really need major help at D End and linebacker. I moved Dingle back to ILB although he could remain at DEnd. The defensive end position needs a lot of work.

Won't be surprised if Oliver or Carpenter end up as the Will backer given lack of LB depth. Should make us faster and get the best 11 on the field more

I agree that the concerns about the OL are probably overblown. Two things:

• Over the last three years Tech has recruited bigger and taller OLs. I suspect this was due to the way double team and cut blocks are being more closely called. I think this will pay off as we change back to zone blocking. Provided, that is, that we keep drive blocking.

• The kind of blocking we have run for the last 11 years was based on flexibility and speed. The recruiting reflected that. This will not - repeat not - be a disadvantage going forward. Indeed, I think we'll be surprised how little change in blocking technique there will be. Major difference = less emphasis on second level blocks. But not much, especially on the back side.
No more crawling to get to your assignment.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Offense:
QB: James Graham, Lucas Johnson
RB: Jordan Mason, Jordan Howard
TE: Tyler Davis, Dylan Deveney
WR: Jalen Camp, Steve Dolphus
WR: Malachi Carter, Jair Hawkins-Anderson
Slot: Adonicas Sanders, Nate Cottrell
OT: Jacob defoor, Charlie Clark
OT: Zach Quiney, Harrison Jump
OG: Parker Braun, Austin Smith
OG: Connor Hansen, Boe Tuffle
C: Kenny Cooper, Jahaziel Lee

Defense:
SDE: Antwan Owens, Kelton Dawson
WDE: Justice Dingle, Luke John
DT: Brandon Adams, TK Chimedza
DT: Brentavious Glanton, Chris Martin
ILB: Bruce Swilling, Justice Dingle
OLB: Charlie Thomas, Jaquan Henderson
OLB: Quez Jackson, Jordan Domineck
SS: Tariq Carpenter, Kaleb Oliver
FS: Juanyeh Thomas, Christian Campbell
CB: Tre Swilling, Jaylon King
CB: Zamari Walton, Ajani Kerr
N: Jaytlin Askew

Really need major help at D End and linebacker. I moved Dingle back to ILB although he could remain at DEnd. The defensive end position needs a lot of work.
We are pretty close to being the same. There really are a lot of guys who could play multiple positions which makes it a little harder to guess on the lineup. It will be interesting to see what happens from here on out. The one thing that your missing imo is the OL transfer. I think he gets the 2 deep and maybe even starting. I also like Boe and Charlie. You don’t have Griffin on your list either, is there a reason?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
We are pretty close to being the same. There really are a lot of guys who could play multiple positions which makes it a little harder to guess on the lineup. It will be interesting to see what happens from here on out. The one thing that your missing imo is the OL transfer. I think he gets the 2 deep and maybe even starting. I also like Boe and Charlie. You don’t have Griffin on your list either, is there a reason?

I think the OL transfer will get significant snaps but not transfer. Griffin will get snaps. Oliver will become a utility WR. Meaning he’ll play Hback, WR, TE, and runner. I put Adonica’s ahead of Cottrell but really any number of the abacks will go there. This team will have enough playmakers to be interesting on offense. If the line can hold maybe even good. Graham is an explosive playmaker but I can see LJ beating him being a better qb. Benson is coming back from injury and will take time.

There is a concern at DE on the defensive line. Knight is moved to linebacker hopefully he’s a fast learning cause with that size and speed he’d be killer at the MIKE.

Team needs to Feb 2nd
OLinemen
DE & DT
1-2 linebackers

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think the OL transfer will get significant snaps but not transfer. Griffin will get snaps. Oliver will become a utility WR. Meaning he’ll play Hback, WR, TE, and runner. I put Adonica’s ahead of Cottrell but really any number of the abacks will go there. This team will have enough playmakers to be interesting on offense. If the line can hold maybe even good. Graham is an explosive playmaker but I can see LJ beating him being a better qb. Benson is coming back from injury and will take time.

There is a concern at DE on the defensive line. Knight is moved to linebacker hopefully he’s a fast learning cause with that size and speed he’d be killer at the MIKE.

Team needs to Feb 2nd
OLinemen
DE & DT
1-2 linebackers
Nothing against the Abacks but I don’t think many of them have the skill set for a slot WR, maybe 2 of them. I’m with you at DE, and DT, we definitely need some play makers there, hopefully the switch back to the 4-3 will help Glanton, he was coming along before this past season. We could also you a LB. I would really like to see at least 2 more transfers either at QB,OL, DE, DT, and LB or at least freshman who can come in and contribute right away. I believe we are actively going after transfers at LB, QB, and DT. I’ll take Hurt, Fields (might have to sit out a year by NCAA rules) Solomon, and a stud LB, whoever that may be.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If we’re talking zone blocking, watch an Alex Gibbs Zone Blocking YouTube video. He’ll talk about the OLine playing as a unit, and yes, a lot of next-level blocks. The difference between zone next level blocks and the option is that the option blocks are designed as next level, whereas the zone is designed to take a DL and LB combo...where one of the OLmen will release or take the blitzing LB. That’s a different look / feel from firing off the LOS.
Big change will be pass blocking. Using pass pro will make it easier if guys can adjust but most OL others want have long arms to be able to keep the DL away from them. Don’t know about our guys.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
"My interest in Braun is what he was recruited to vs what is coming in. I have no doubt Braun will excel in whatever he's tasked to do...he's just a damm good OL and football player."

His younger brother is a heck of a player as well... I suspect he may view this transition favorably...a HOSS.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Collins’ defense is what we thought we were getting in Woody but in a 4-3. I don’t know what happened with Woody but we did not look like his App St defenses. Collins wants a fast agressive D and he will bring it on every play. I don’t think we’ll see anymore rush 3 on 3rd downs. :)

slugboy

Staff member
Collins’ defense is what we thought we were getting in Woody but in a 4-3. I don’t know what happened with Woody but we did not look like his App St defenses. Collins wants a fast agressive D and he will bring it on every play. I don’t think we’ll see anymore rush 3 on 3rd downs. :)

We had history to make us think our defense wouldn’t improve until next year, and not be really good until the year after. It took a few years at App State.

We keep talking scheme, but not being decisive or tackling well (general conversation, not you in particular). Not many schemes overcome missed tackles and getting caught up in the wash.

My hope is, scheme aside, our players learn to shed blocks and tackle well at high speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Further thoughts:

• I agree that Tobias will have as good a track to be our starting QB as Lucas. Graham may overwhelm the others by sheer talent, but I hope that whoever our incoming OC is will realize that we need to get our QBs to run more then is usual in a spread. No need to waste that talent. Lucas might have ended up starting this year if he had stayed healthy and Tobias can run and pass. This will be a battle royal in the spring. (My hope = we put in a spread like Bill Synder ran at KSU. That was an O where the QB ran a good deal and passed as well. KSU usually had both a QB and an RB who ran for 900 - 1000 yards. And it was successful. Problem = I don't think this is likely until we start playing ball; coaches tend to always cling to their predetermined schemes instead of adjusting. Until it doesn't work, of course.)

• I wouldn't be surprised to see Benson and Cottrell sharing the RB position. Most people seem to think that Cottrell will be catching the ball more then running it. Watch his high school film where he was a spread TB. He only needed a crease to go a considerable distance. Since creases are all we are likely to get until the OL gets the knack of what the coaches want, I think getting our two quickest starters (Benson and Cottrell) at RB would certainly help.

• I think most everybody will be surprised about our WRs in the coming season. "All they did was block! They don't know how to run routes!" Well, no. The problem was that in Paul's O all the passing was play action and reading progressions wasn't as important as quick throws. My guess is that Dolphus, Camp, and Carter will share the top three positions and will suddenly develop good hands. I agree that this is just a suspicion, but the WRs we have are all good at fighting for the ball. "But 5hey can't get separation!" Sure they can, especially if they aren't the only WR being watched.

• Again, I don't think there is much difference in our OLs and what we see in regular spread teams. Everybody seems all convinced that they don't have the "arm length" or "range" or "upper body strength" to do the usual push-and-dance pass blocking. I don't think this will be a problem. True, some of our guys will have to pork up a bit (not to much, I hope) and re-learn the right footwork. This will lead to some problems early on. But … remember our OL are faster then the average bear and can probably learn to recover faster. We'll see.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Just watch the 2015 ole miss vs Florida game. That was one hard hitting fast attacking game. Can't wait to see that here

Milwaukee

Banned
I've seen multiple posts about how good of a passer TO is, but when he threw last year the throws didn't look good at all. Was he much better in practice and the game stuff just more of a fluke?