Roster Transition

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I've seen multiple posts about how good of a passer TO is, but when he threw last year the throws didn't look good at all. Was he much better in practice and the game stuff just more of a fluke?
I think there is a reason he was the third string QB coming in to the season. I love everything he did for us this year, but I am hard pressed to think of how he beats out the other QBs.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Further thoughts:

• I agree that Tobias will have as good a track to be our starting QB as Lucas. Graham may overwhelm the others by sheer talent, but I hope that whoever our incoming OC is will realize that we need to get our QBs to run more then is usual in a spread. No need to waste that talent. Lucas might have ended up starting this year if he had stayed healthy and Tobias can run and pass. This will be a battle royal in the spring. (My hope = we put in a spread like Bill Synder ran at KSU. That was an O where the QB ran a good deal and passed as well. KSU usually had both a QB and an RB who ran for 900 - 1000 yards. And it was successful. Problem = I don't think this is likely until we start playing ball; coaches tend to always cling to their predetermined schemes instead of adjusting. Until it doesn't work, of course.)

• I wouldn't be surprised to see Benson and Cottrell sharing the RB position. Most people seem to think that Cottrell will be catching the ball more then running it. Watch his high school film where he was a spread TB. He only needed a crease to go a considerable distance. Since creases are all we are likely to get until the OL gets the knack of what the coaches want, I think getting our two quickest starters (Benson and Cottrell) at RB would certainly help.

• I think most everybody will be surprised about our WRs in the coming season. "All they did was block! They don't know how to run routes!" Well, no. The problem was that in Paul's O all the passing was play action and reading progressions wasn't as important as quick throws. My guess is that Dolphus, Camp, and Carter will share the top three positions and will suddenly develop good hands. I agree that this is just a suspicion, but the WRs we have are all good at fighting for the ball. "But 5hey can't get separation!" Sure they can, especially if they aren't the only WR being watched.

• Again, I don't think there is much difference in our OLs and what we see in regular spread teams. Everybody seems all convinced that they don't have the "arm length" or "range" or "upper body strength" to do the usual push-and-dance pass blocking. I don't think this will be a problem. True, some of our guys will have to pork up a bit (not to much, I hope) and re-learn the right footwork. This will lead to some problems early on. But … remember our OL are faster then the average bear and can probably learn to recover faster. We'll see.

I don’t see the first two at all.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see the first two at all.
I'm not surprised.

• I think you are part of the consensus that Lucas or Graham will end up being the QB next year. So am I; I think it'll be Lucas who has already shown in high school that he knows how to run a conventional spread. But … that doesn't mean that Tobias can't do it. He ran a spread with considerable success in high school. It'll depend, imho, on how much we decide to run our QB next year. If our new OC has even a lick of sense, he'll want to do that a lot; no reason to waste all that running talent. If that's the case, then I'd say Tobias has an even chance due to his game experience.

• On Cottrell you also track the consensus. The reason I think he has a good chance to end up at RB is that in a conventional spread what counts is straight ahed speed, a quick start, and the ability to run through a tackle. Check, check, and check. People forget that Cottrell weighs around 200 and runs a legit 4.4 40. Shake and bake is vital for a usual I formation back since so much of the scheme depends on options off of blocks chosen by the RB. Nobody would turn that down in a conventional spread, of course, but it isn't the main thing. True, we have plenty of options here and Cottrell probably won't end up back there. If I were an incoming OC, however, the first thing I would do is get the 40 speeds for all the backs and start thinking after that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

GTFootball2018

Georgia Tech Fan

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Position changes already on the way:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...eeling-the-excitement/RYKtbTtSg1YC96aUhDZX3K/

I wrote that Tobias was a better WR prospect out of HS than QB, it looks like that's where he's going.

Also mentioned that Omahri Jarret was a good slot receiver in HS it's where he's gonna play for the new offense.

People are gonna be pleasantly surprised by Tobias at receiver.

I'd also have a "wild-Jacket" package for him, stick him in flex close and see if the stretch option still works.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this has been reported, but Georgia Tech commit QB Jordan Yates is now rated as a 4 star recruit and considered the No. 6 all purpose QB in the country. Pundits predict he will do great in the Collins system and will compete for the QB position as a freshman.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Position changes already on the way:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...eeling-the-excitement/RYKtbTtSg1YC96aUhDZX3K/

I wrote that Tobias was a better WR prospect out of HS than QB, it looks like that's where he's going.

Also mentioned that Omahri Jarret was a good slot receiver in HS it's where he's gonna play for the new offense.

People are gonna be pleasantly surprised by Tobias at receiver.

How did you read that article to state that Oliver is changing? Ken says that Jarrett and Oliver are strong candidates for slot. The coach says that they are talking to all of the players about what positions they would like to play and won't make decisions until after winter workouts and spring training. Odds are probably good that he will change positions, but I didn't read anything that supports: "Position changes already on the way". I read quite the opposite, position changes won't occur until after spring training.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this has been reported, but Georgia Tech commit QB Jordan Yates is now rated as a 4 star recruit and considered the No. 6 all purpose QB in the country. Pundits predict he will do great in the Collins system and will compete for the QB position as a freshman.

Its almost funny how that works, did we just get our first bama bump?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The man can run fast--in a straight line--but having quick cuts or stopngoes, not so much

I think the jury is still a bit out on this. Aback and tailback are different animals imo. It’s harder to cut and do the stop and go jitterbug from full speed, which is when NC typically first got the ball. Changing direction and cutting to a gap for a tailback at the handoff is much easier.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

People are gonna be pleasantly surprised by Tobias at receiver.[/QUOTE]

Tobias is hard to tackle one on one. Get him the ball in space and his defender is gonna want some help coming with a quickness.

Athletic QBs frequently make good transitions to other positions. He’s definitely got the athleticism to do so.