Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’ll take you at your word on this but I’ve missed something y’all these years. If we are spending all we can why does there seem to be an issue with “the Hill” and the dedication that the school president has ? Again not trying to argue but if the school is spending all it’s allowed to and the BOR controls the programs Tech is allowed t offer then it sounds like you are saying that the school is fully committed to the Athletic Department with all available resources.

So is the school all in or not, seriously it’s a question I’m not arguing .
Financially the school provides 10% of the athletic budget, which is the max they are allowed. Some people on here, myself not included, believe that the school should do more to get less academically qualified athletes in school and keep them in. Myself, I do not see some overall lack of cooperation from "the hill".

I understand, from others on the forum, that the have been issues in the past with professors not wanting to allow athletes who are traveling for competitions to make up work. I haven't seen that personally. If that does happen then the school admin should support the athletes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’ll take you at your word on this but I’ve missed something y’all these years. If we are spending all we can why does there seem to be an issue with “the Hill” and the dedication that the school president has ? Again not trying to argue but if the school is spending all it’s allowed to and the BOR controls the programs Tech is allowed t offer then it sounds like you are saying that the school is fully committed to the Athletic Department with all available resources.

So is the school all in or not, seriously it’s a question I’m not arguing .

IIUC, the issue is the school vs the endowment. The school can only budget so much in a line item, but the endowment built by the donations of fans can be spent by the Athletic Association. We as fans need to help grow the donation base to fund the GTAA.

Jmonty71

Banned
Yomanser already did, but everyone just ignored it. Roof is a good DC and an excellent recruiter. He has the chance to turn this D around, but we need to give him the time and resources to do it. Otherwise, we're just going to be disappointed with the next guy when he fails for the same reasons.
And.. How much time is he given? 4 more years? 10? 1? Where does the line get drawn? How many less than stellar seasons does it take? You seem to be the big Roof supporter. You tell me. How many years?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Good question. I guess it depends on who you ask. Coach Johnson is pretty adamant about the lack of resources. Personally, I don't think the school is not, as you put it, "all in". I don't think the school administration is even partially "in" much less "all in". Don't seem to be at any rate.
The lack of resources is because the fans won't pony up the money. Also, the last ad wasn't supportive of anyone in the department.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The lack of resources is because the fans won't pony up the money. Also, the last ad wasn't supportive of anyone in the department.

Not surprised. Tech alumni are notoriously tight with their money. My father would squeeze a nickle so hard that it would come out a quarter. My brother in law made my sister drive a car so long and so hard that it was valued at less than $500 when they towed it in. You are not telling me anything I don't already know. I just don't think the Hill cares about football and is not willing to do anything in regards to either curriculum or support to change the culture.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And.. How much time is he given? 4 more years? 10? 1? Where does the line get drawn? How many less than stellar seasons does it take? You seem to be the big Roof supporter. You tell me. How many years?

I've told you before. I believe he gets a year at a time. He made progress. Real progress this year. IMO he bought another year. If he makes more progress next year, then he gets another year. If he gets us into top 40 territory consistently, I'd let him retire here. I think he's building a program worth having, but it takes time when you work with as few resources as we give our coaches.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
That's a gross mischaracterization of the argument. Many times this season, the Defense DID hold after the offense failed. But they aren't perfect. The UVA game seems to be the best example. The offense failed on 13 of 17 possessions. The D turned around and held UVA on 11 of 18 possessions, and on some of the short fields, forced FGs instead of TDs. Yet we blame the D and attribute no blame to the offense. Makes no sense at all....

We get to arguing in circles on this topic. Taking the position that the DC is not demonstrating what I believe to be the needed attitude toward his defensive philosophy is not saying that offense is perfect. I’m well aware that the offense struggled at times but I simply do not believe that when any offense struggling or not, puts up 36 points the result should be a loss I don’t care of they turned the ball over or didn’t get a first down on 2 series, they scored 36 points folks ! It is impossible to blame an offense for a loss when they score over 30.

Sure given game situations it may feel like we win if the offense gets one more and when they don’t you sit there thinking that had they done this or that - but the fact is it got 36 and we lost.

Duke and Virginia scored on our defense. For the entire 2nd half Duke DROVE the ball, they didn’t get quick field position b/c of the offense and simply go 20 yards for scores, they drove the field.

Listen my position allows for offensive mistakes, poor play and general failure I even allow the defense to give up scores on quick possession changes and even the occasional drive. What my position does not nor will it ever allow is the thought that simply because the offense puts pressure on the defense - the defense is excused from doing its job.

BC has lived the last 6 years with a totally lack luster offense but everyone knew their defense was tough. They lost games with 13-10 scores, 16-0. They didn’t give up 43 points and then say it was because the offense sucked.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of who gets canned, I'm more disappointed that we had such a disappointing season(CPJ's own words) and it doesn't look like we are changing anything.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We need to get more support from the Alumni Association and their Roll Call. They are the one who get all the billions of dollars, and they don't support the program as they should. And CPJ is not the problem. He is what keeps us as good as we are on the positive side.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Thankful the owner of this board let’s us speak our minds.

And I understand those saying CTR should be replaced. I do not necessarily disagree.

But, and not for the first time am I saying this, if 4 / 5 years is enough time for CTR, how in the blazes is 11 years not enough time for CPJ? Is it due to payout? That is an insane and specious argument. It could be paid out if it must be done. If it needs doing, how much will it cost us NOT to do it.

And if Sewak is not thrown out, that is proof that this thing is rotting from the head down. And just more proof that CPJ needs to go now. If CTR has to go with him, so be it.

Just seems to me the whole focus is insanely distorted.
I’m not far from this, but I’d love to see what we’d look like with CPJs offense and a very aggressive defensive coordinator. Probably depends on the year...could be tragic. The problem to me is that it just seems like we had five years of a mildly different flavor of Groh. We took a few more chances, but rarely in critical situations...and honestly we’ve just seemed very predictable.

The offense isn’t some magic solution...but it’d be fun to see what it would look like with a defense that CAN get a stop when it has to. If we get the same thing again then yeah, let’s change...but I just don’t see a ton of benefit to paying the 3 million buyout and limiting what we could pay a new coach AND a new D coordinator AND a new O coordinator.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We need to get more support from the Alumni Association and their Roll Call. They are the one who get all the billions of dollars, and they don't support the program as they should. And CPJ is not the problem. He is what keeps us as good as we are on the positive side.
Maybe we should donate our money to the GTAA instead?

Good question. I guess it depends on who you ask. Coach Johnson is pretty adamant about the lack of resources. Personally, I don't think the school is not, as you put it, "all in". I don't think the school administration is even partially "in" much less "all in". Don't seem to be at any rate.
I don't think Johnson's remarks about lack of resources are directed to the school; they are directed to the Athletic Association, whose resources are lacking because of not enough financial support from outside sources (alums, fans, etc).

majungatholus1

Georgia Tech Fan
We get to arguing in circles on this topic. Taking the position that the DC is not demonstrating what I believe to be the needed attitude toward his defensive philosophy is not saying that offense is perfect. I’m well aware that the offense struggled at times but I simply do not believe that when any offense struggling or not, puts up 36 points the result should be a loss I don’t care of they turned the ball over or didn’t get a first down on 2 series, they scored 36 points folks ! It is impossible to blame an offense for a loss when they score over 30.

Sure given game situations it may feel like we win if the offense gets one more and when they don’t you sit there thinking that had they done this or that - but the fact is it got 36 and we lost.

Duke and Virginia scored on our defense. For the entire 2nd half Duke DROVE the ball, they didn’t get quick field position b/c of the offense and simply go 20 yards for scores, they drove the field.

Listen my position allows for offensive mistakes, poor play and general failure I even allow the defense to give up scores on quick possession changes and even the occasional drive. What my position does not nor will it ever allow is the thought that simply because the offense puts pressure on the defense - the defense is excused from doing its job.

BC has lived the last 6 years with a totally lack luster offense but everyone knew their defense was tough. They lost games with 13-10 scores, 16-0. They didn’t give up 43 points and then say it was because the offense sucked.

According to NCAA.com, 50 teams are averaging over 30 ppg this year. So I don't think scoring 30 necessarily means the offense is blameless.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think if we had taller Cornerbacks then we would have beaten UT, UM, and UVA and yall would be lovin ole Ted Roof right now

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we should donate our money to the GTAA instead?
After I met the head of aa at the orange bowl party I cut giving to aa. I asked him how the giving to as fared when gt gets to orange bowl. He smiled and said things are great. I am sure they are wonderful people at aa but it rubbed me the wrong way.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I ask this question seriously. Everyone says the coaches need more" resources". Can you give me specific examples of what that means?
More recruiting staff, most other ACC schools have more. More support staff, I believe KQ stated that Duke had three times as many support people who travel with the team to away games. Better facilities. CPJ argued to get the locker room upgraded for both player use and for recruiting, I believe for a couple of years before he went public with it. I'm not sure if those upgrades have actually started yet or not.

For recruiting, if a recruit compares at Clemson's new football facility with bowling and such to GT's facilities, GT loses. Some on here have said that GT should expand the recruiting footprint. Other schools have large staffs that review film and check up on potential recruits. At GT, the coaches do a lot of that work. With more staff, the number of potential recruits identified and analysed could increase greatly.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
After I met the head of aa at the orange bowl party I cut giving to aa. I asked him how the giving to as fared when gt gets to orange bowl. He smiled and said things are great. I am sure they are wonderful people at aa but it rubbed me the wrong way.
Head of GTAA, MBob? I think you would like TStan much more.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Just food for thought

2017 Ga Tech endowment was reported at 1.8 billion that’s with a “B”.

The endowment is bigger than The University of Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska, Missouri, TCU and The University of Alabama, yes I said Alabama.

The endowment ranks 56th in the WORLD

Status
Not open for further replies.