Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please folks cmon.

Duke gave up 21 to Army and 20 to us.

The difference in the games was Duke scored 16 pts on Army and 43 on us

See 43 is 22 more than 21, that’s how much MORE Ted Roofs scheme gave up ok ?

Some of you guys keep insisting that CPJs offense is the problem, if you want him gone please, at least argue that it’s b/c he can’t manage a defense.
I forgot to mention the OL is at best head scratching since this year again the OL was supposed to be the best we've had during the Johnson era. Still waiting what a good OL actually looks like under this coach. Maybe my def and Johnson's is slightly different. Mine is a OL that can carry out its assignments run or pass the vast majority of the time. His is definitely not that. Again this year 10, how much longer does it take to fix these issues that creep up if not every year at least every other. One good kicker in 10 years? His only positive track record as far as positons go is punter. We have had decent punters during the Johnson run. There is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
And against UVA the offense didn't score over 30. The defense had a pick 6 and a fumble on the UVA 14. The fact that we only scored 36 despite that is a sign the offense was the problem. Defense forced 9 punts, got a pick 6, and set the offense up for another easy score.

But hey, ignore how the game was actually played and just keep yelling "we scored 36! offense no wrong."

Obvious you don’t read all my posts ( I know they are long winded but I can’t help it I’m Irish ). Just for the fun of it I’ll say it once more. The offense didn’t play well all year. They looked sluggish at times. They failed to show up at all against Clemson and Georgia, TM missed a lot of open WRs. In most every game.
Putting words in my mouth doesn’t help your position, I’ve never said the offense commits no wrong - ever ! But you do understand that you just said “the fact that we only scored 36 points .... is a sign the OFFENSE was the problem” right ?

But Ok you win, the offense lost the Duke and Virginia games, defense really didn’t give up 43 to Duke and 40 to Virginia, but hey they did score 7, against Virginia and put us in good positions - when they weren’t giving up a TD, I see your point.

I swear to God I didt know it was this hard, I guess these days in this society Less is more now, ok cool I give, you win the offense sucks, let’s fire CPJ and keep Roof

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He can't manage a P5 program. Year 10 and the defense is still a mystery, special teams is still a mystery, and the offense is not as potent as it was. So there you have it. 2 out of the 3 phases in football we are well below avg and the one unit he completely controls cant figure out the forward pass. Again this is year 10 not 2, 4, 6, 8. TEN. A decade, one tenth of a century. He is going to change in year 11? Ok
The special teams have been pretty good lately up until this year.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
He can't manage a P5 program. Year 10 and the defense is still a mystery, special teams is still a mystery, and the offense is not as potent as it was. So there you have it. 2 out of the 3 phases in football we are well below avg and the one unit he completely controls cant figure out the forward pass. Again this is year 10 not 2, 4, 6, 8. TEN. A decade, one tenth of a century. He is going to change in year 11? Ok

See now this is an argument that shuts me up. I have no come back for this. It acknowledges that CPJ hasn’t brought the total package. I said long ago if those who are against CPJ would be against him for his total program and not solely his offense they would have a lot better of an argument. these arguments that seem to defend Roof simply because of the offense is like blaming the brother for not having a sister.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What are you even talking about? What was my original assertion and how has it changed?

I asked what about his system works at GT? Like I said in my last comment, just because other schools run a 4-2-5 doesn't mean they are running it the same way. So I'll ask again what school runs our system JUST like us? You still haven't answered my original comment either of what about his system will work at GT.

Normally when people avoid a question with another question or start making statements outside of the original question, it's because they don't know how to answer the question.

Sigh. No team runs any system the exact same way as any other team captain obvious. You posed your question poorly initially and that's why you didn't get the answer you were looking for.

As to questions, I find when someone says "honestly I want to know what you think about x,y,z" that person typically already has an established idea and is posing the question simply to draw out a statement they anticipate they will hear in order to attack same. That's what I perceived you were doing. So which one of us is being intellectually honest eh?

So to answer your question, about Roof, not "the system." If you have followed this thread you should recognize the answer many "Roof supporters" have already cited multiple times. More talent. Especially at the LOS.

We improved in several important facets on D. Primarily at the LOS, being able to hold ground better, actually prevent first downs in short yardage situations. This was mostly due to an improvement in talent and depth on the line. It created more of the 3rd down stops we have all been clamoring for.

Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Was it as good as we want. No. Was it improved in several facets? Yes. Again because imo the talent has improved. To the point we are a middle of the pack D rather than bottom qtr.

Was this predictable? Imo some of it was. I didn't predict a failure to create turnovers but I was optimistic that play at DT would be improved. I think it was. I was doubtful of our ability to get an effective pass rush though many others proclaimed success there would follow since we would "finally" be starting Simmons at DE. The pass rush I doubted never really materialized the way we needed it to. Especially against our tougher opponents.

But again the answer is and always will be more talent and depth. True for Roof or any other DC we might bring in.

Is it fair to postulate another DC could be more effective? Yes. Is it fair to postulate another DC would be less effective? Yes. Can you stipulate with any reasonableness that Roof would not be more effective if he had more talent on the field???

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Gonna point to special teams to hammer a point home. It's gonna take a sledge for some of y'all.

What was our biggest regression in special teams play this year from last?

Kicker. Field goals and touch backs. We couldn't get kickoffs long enough for touchbacks or high enough to get hang time to allow the coverage unit to close on the returner adequately. Why the dramatic drop off? Everyone here knows the answer.

Punting last year was actually improved from the year before. Same punter but better results. That's either due to coaching improving things or a lot of hard work put in by the punter to improve. Any Monday morning coaches willing to concede this?

This year punting got dramatically better imo. Why the drastic change? Had to be coaching right? We must have taught better form and fundamentals right? Or did we upgrade talent with PHIII?

See what talent, or a lack thereof can do? True on STs, D, and O.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Putting words in my mouth doesn’t help your position, I’ve never said the offense commits no wrong - ever ! But you do understand that you just said “the fact that we only scored 36 points .... is a sign the OFFENSE was the problem” right ?

lol, you're intentionally cutting out specific words using the ... in order to make the claim sound more ridiculous than it is. The defense effectively scored 14 (pick 6 and fumble on the 14). So the offense effectively scored 22 not 36. The fact we scored only 36 DESPITE THE DEFENSE SCORING EFFECTIVELY 14 points, is the reason we lost. Our offense should put up more than they did against UVA and it isn't close.

But Ok you win, the offense lost the Duke and Virginia games, defense really didn’t give up 43 to Duke and 40 to Virginia, but hey they did score 7, against Virginia and put us in good positions - when they weren’t giving up a TD, I see your point.

Duke both sides were terrible. Against UVA the defense literally didn't give up 40. Hide it under sarcasm all you won't. They literally didn't. Literally. As in there is no way to argue that the defense gave up 40. They gave up 31. that's not even including the FG that set up by special teams giving UVA the ball already in FG range. And by the way they forced 9 punts against UVA, so stop pretending like the pick 6 and the fumble were the only stops the defense made.

The offense did score 29 so that should be enough to win a game. IMO the UVA game was on the D, there were others games I blamed the the whole team, and others on special teams.

And the defense had a pick 6, a fumble at the UVA 14, and force 9 punts. So how is that not enough to win the game? The offense scored 29 points on 17 drives. How are you going to pretend that 1.7 points per drive is good? And if we include the safety, that would by 27, effective, on 17 drives so 1.59 ppd. And again, that is with the benefit of a drive starting on the UVA 14. The offense was a success on less than a quarter of its drives.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
More talent. Especially at the LOS.

We improved in several important facets on D. Primarily at the LOS, being able to hold ground better, actually prevent first downs in short yardage situations. This was mostly due to an improvement in talent and depth on the line.

I just don’t see this. I suppose, if you’re just comparing our DL to the one we had under Groh, that we do have relatively “more talent”. But, compared to the better teams on our schedule, our DL has not been talented enough for many years, especially in terms of pass rush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The special teams have been pretty good lately up until this year.
Yes a good punter in Brooks and now Harvin. But what about KO return team. Yikes. How about the field goal kicking unit? Harrison good and that's it. Blair not. This year a joke. How about punt return team? Scary at best if a fair catch or no return possible is not in play. Special teams is a fail.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Appropriate time to insert part 2 of Ken Sugiura’s “What Went Wrong for GT in 2017” series:

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...-rarely-provided-lift/AKhxm9SxsVuLVa3HdMNyNK/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the article:

"Between 2012 and 2015, Johnson broke with his longstanding approach and used a coach specifically for special teams, and the Jackets were in the top 52 in kickoff return average three of the four seasons. In the six seasons in which the special-teams units have been split up among the staff, Tech has been in the 96th or lower four times."

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
From the article:

"Between 2012 and 2015, Johnson broke with his longstanding approach and used a coach specifically for special teams, and the Jackets were in the top 52 in kickoff return average three of the four seasons. In the six seasons in which the special-teams units have been split up among the staff, Tech has been in the 96th or lower four times."

Three of the four seasons eh? You know what else factored into 3 of those 4 seasons: Harrison Butker. [emoji848]
But I can’t tell from that quote whether he meant return defense or return offense anyway.<shrug>♂️

This quote also bears repeating:
“Tech’s best years in kickoff return in Johnson’s tenure occurred when the staff had a special-teams coach and Jamal Golden was the returner. Whether Golden made the return team what it was or coaching made Golden the returner he was is open to debate.”

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Three of the four seasons eh? You know what else factored into 3 of those 4 seasons: Harrison Butker. [emoji848]

But I can’t tell from that quote whether he meant return defense or return offense anyway.<shrug>♂️

This quote also bears repeating:
“Tech’s best years in kickoff return in Johnson’s tenure occurred when the staff had a special-teams coach and Jamal Golden was the returner. Whether Golden made the return team what it was or coaching made Golden the returner he was is open to debate.”
I think he's talking about us returning the ball, not defending kickoffs because he goes on to talk about Jamal Golden.

Either way, we were better with a ST coach...maybe the kickers could benefit, as well

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we just blame the Miami, Clemson and UVA games on Mother Nature (rain) and leave it at that. :)

slugboy

Staff member
IMO KeShun Freeman is a great example of that. Freshman All American, but what since then? A team leader and a good kid, but......
I'm not sure how much of that is technique (and on Pelton), how much is on scheme (and would be on Roof), how much is on recruiting depth (on CPJ for how many slots he gives for DL), and how much is on strength and training. He did talk about trying to get past some mobility issues at the start of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.