Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a guess after signing day

I think we might hear something after the FIRST signing day.

I am very curious to know, given PJ's "this is how it is" straight-shooter style, how many of our "commits" are actually going to commit and sign on Dec 20th.

Furthermore, I am curious to know how that fares against other schools' commits.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I said it before in this thread, but I really don't like doing that to recruits. You end up with kids who aren't happy here and you piss off highschool coaches who you need to keep happy to recruit. We have enough of a problem with attrition and recruiting that we don't need anything extra. I'm hoping that we are just being cautious, evaluating everyone fairly, seeing who's out there and interested, and figuring out our budget for new hires. I really hope TStan is doing his due diligence and that's what is taking time, and not that we are trying to pull the rug out from recruits after they've signed.

I know other programs do that but we can be better.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think we might hear something after the FIRST signing day.

I am very curious to know, given PJ's "this is how it is" straight-shooter style, how many of our "commits" are actually going to commit and sign on Dec 20th.

Furthermore, I am curious to know how that fares against other schools' commits.
If we are adding more coaches I would think we would want the players to know before signing day. I guess the question is how many do they have to wait till after their season is over.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if there's an "understanding" between Roof and CPJ. That is, "Hey Ted, if you've get an offer to go somewhere else, take it. Otherwise, we may need to revisit your job description after the end of the year..."

Probably the best for both parties at this point and Roof doesn't have the stigma of being fired, and CPJ doesn't have the stigma of running through multiple DCs.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yomanser already did, but everyone just ignored it. Roof is a good DC and an excellent recruiter. He has the chance to turn this D around, but we need to give him the time and resources to do it. Otherwise, we're just going to be disappointed with the next guy when he fails for the same reasons.
Serious question, what makes him a good DC? Where is the success at other schools that makes him a good DC?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It can when you're seeing improvement in spite of the fact that we don't properly fund our program.
We haven't seen improvement though. One year isn't enough to say hey our D is better. We didn't play nearly the powerhouses of offenses and our D has preformed right around the same in prior years. It's just our D fluctuates year to year. Atleast IMO.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not according to @Yomanser who is the recruiting guru around here. CTR is a heck of a recruiter, but you guys are willing to sell him short there.
For what it's worth I think I saw KQ say something about Roof not being this crazy amazing recruiter. Although he is good, but from what I took it, he's nothing we couldn't replace.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
I agree 1000%. Any improvement on defense overall is negated IMO when you fall back to that damn prevent defense in situations when a stop is almost necessary. I would rather attack and get beat than just automatically give up those yards. We probably still would not have won the game, but imagine if we had not gone to a prevent D at the end of the first half and had not given up that FG. For me, that was the turning point of the game.
Not necessarily directed just to you, @Supersizethatorder-mutt, but to everyone who keeps saying they'd rather get beat on big plays than give up fewer yards underneath softer coverage, this exact thing is why Charles Kelly won't be retained at FSU. Be careful what you all wish for (and mind you, this is with 4 and 5-star recruits)...
http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_...s-but-working-to-fix-defenses-big-play-issues
http://www.fsunews.com/story/sports...all-cornered-adjust-coaching-staff/878717001/
http://gridironnow.com/fsu-defensive-coaching-staff-changes-beyond-charles-kelly/
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...nse-regressing-under-charles-kelly/815580001/

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I’d rather throw 1.5 million at Foster and let him hire his own staff. If Stansbury can secure the funding, I would go that direction. I don’t personally think Kelly is an upgrade over Roof, but that is just my opinion. Foster is one of the few DCs that has been able to successfully adapt his scheme to changing offenses. It is a rare quality in a DC. Foster tweaks and teaches his scheme. Most people just implement what they know, and have minimal success adapting it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’d rather throw 1.5 million at Foster and let him hire his own staff. If Stansbury can secure the funding, I would go that direction. I don’t personally think Kelly is an upgrade over Roof, but that is just my opinion. Foster is one of the few DCs that has been able to successfully adapt his scheme to changing offenses. It is a rare quality in a DC. Foster tweaks and teaches his scheme. Most people just implement what they know, and have minimal success adapting it.
This would be amazing if it happened, but don’t hold your breath. That guy is married to VT and ain’t going anywhere.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This would be amazing if it happened, but don’t hold your breath. That guy is married to VT and ain’t going anywhere.
Also, do we know what his assistants make? Would we have the budget to pay them after blowing it out on him?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Also, do we know what his assistants make? Would we have the budget to pay them after blowing it out on him?

About 260k. They have a CB and DL coach. Foster coaches the LBs. It would be a stretch financially for us, but it has a higher success probability IMO.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
About 260k. They have a CB and DL coach. Foster coaches the LBs. It would be a stretch financially for us, but it has a higher success probability IMO.

We have no shot at hiring Foster from VT. I can't think of one reason why he would even want to come to GT. I don't think 1.5 mil would even lure him to GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.