Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We have no shot at hiring Foster from VT. I can't think of one reason why he would even want to come to GT. I don't think 1.5 mil would even lure him to GT.

I can. He wants to be a HC, and he was passed by at VT in favor of Justin. Money and opportunity talk. CPJ will probably retire in a few years, success at GT would put him in a good spot to be HC

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I can. He wants to be a HC, and he was passed by at VT in favor of Justin. Money and opportunity talk. CPJ will probably retire in a few years, success at GT would put him in a good spot to be HC

I don't think he would leave as DC on a bigger, better job for a parallel position in hopes that the AD makes him a head coach when the current one retires/is fired. Sorry, just don't see him wanting to make that move. Furthermore, if he's a legit HC candidate for people he probably would be one already.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Kickoff and put return coverage sucked, and kickoff and punt return wasn't any better. Why on KO return do our returners never have blockers, and why do the seem always to run straight towards the defenders coming to them? Several times, I didn't understand why the returner didn't head towards the sideline, but no, he just ran right into a wall of defenders.

It looks like all they do is call middle return and say go get em boys

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he would leave as DC on a bigger, better job for a parallel position in hopes that the AD makes him a head coach when the current one retires/is fired. Sorry, just don't see him wanting to make that move. Furthermore, if he's a legit HC candidate for people he probably would be one already.
He doesn’t want to bounce around to a bunch of schools, he wants to be at a P5 school. He has been approached by other lower tier schools for a HC job.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily directed just to you, @Supersizethatorder-mutt, but to everyone who keeps saying they'd rather get beat on big plays than give up fewer yards underneath softer coverage, this exact thing is why Charles Kelly won't be retained at FSU. Be careful what you all wish for (and mind you, this is with 4 and 5-star recruits)...
http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_...s-but-working-to-fix-defenses-big-play-issues
http://www.fsunews.com/story/sports...all-cornered-adjust-coaching-staff/878717001/
http://gridironnow.com/fsu-defensive-coaching-staff-changes-beyond-charles-kelly/
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...nse-regressing-under-charles-kelly/815580001/
I think the espn article sums it up at the end when a player speaks on kelly. I get they have had troubles, but when a former GT player says he would take kelly I'm going to listen and agree.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
We need fan support if we are going to try to compete with the factory programs. GT does not have it.

I can’t disagree with that at all BUT to me this a chicken and egg convo. If a school which has the overall financial assets and/or the ability to source it, won’t commit big money to its sports programs then how do you convince the fans to do it ?

I’m a grunt compared to actual Tech Grads. I can go to the games buy shirts and hats and very occasionally give a little something but put my contributions together and it might buy the first string a knee pad.

It takes money to make money, if Tech spends ( marketing, promotions, etc ... ) it will come back to them 4 fold and it will give Tech a much larger fan based to draw from but most importantly it may motivate the big money alums to throw some on the table

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Not necessarily directed just to you, @Supersizethatorder-mutt, but to everyone who keeps saying they'd rather get beat on big plays than give up fewer yards underneath softer coverage, this exact thing is why Charles Kelly won't be retained at FSU. Be careful what you all wish for (and mind you, this is with 4 and 5-star recruits)...
http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_...s-but-working-to-fix-defenses-big-play-issues
http://www.fsunews.com/story/sports...all-cornered-adjust-coaching-staff/878717001/
http://gridironnow.com/fsu-defensive-coaching-staff-changes-beyond-charles-kelly/
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...nse-regressing-under-charles-kelly/815580001/

Yomanser, I’m not in a position to debate you on recruiting. And for the record, I believe Roof is a good recruiter. However I would contend that at Tech, recruiting is only going to give you so much. I think we can hit on some 4 Star guys, some under valued guys, etc. But I personally believe our schemes and our lack of development are hurting us. CPJ has shown his schemes will take an average player and compete against superior athletes. When do we see this on the defensive side? So for his talents as a recruiter, I just don’t see his value as a DC. And as my counter argument I give you Boston College who, by star rankings, consistently gets D talent below us. But who by most measures has been better than us over the last five years.

I’ll also throw out duke, northwestern, and purdue. All better when looking at defensive efficiency.

We are what, five years in to his recruiting? And while he’s had some good hits on the recruiting trail, I don’t think he can be the coordinator we need. Too many players over the last few years, to my eyes, have regressed. Some players maybe not seeing the field enough. Schemes that require our players to consistently beat the man in front of him like they were Clemson, or Bama just won’t work.

I don’t doubt Roof is a helluva defensive mind. I just doubt he can be the DC we need him to be. I hope I’m wrong. But how many years do we give him? In the business world, how many years would an underperforming sales mgr get to bring in his reps? How many more years or what is Ted’s benchmark for success?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I can’t disagree with that at all BUT to me this a chicken and egg convo. If a school which has the overall financial assets and/or the ability to source it, won’t commit big money to its sports programs then how do you convince the fans to do it ?

I’m a grunt compared to actual Tech Grads. I can go to the games buy shirts and hats and very occasionally give a little something but put my contributions together and it might buy the first string a knee pad.

It takes money to make money, if Tech spends ( marketing, promotions, etc ... ) it will come back to them 4 fold and it will give Tech a much larger fan based to draw from but most importantly it may motivate the big money alums to throw some on the table

The school cannot under the regulations of the BOR spend any more money on athletics. GT school and students spend comparatively the same as other ACC schools. The BIG difference is that GT does not get as much revenue from: ticket sales, donations, or licensing. The school CANNOT spend any more money. If the fans on this board and in general want more money to be spent on football, then the fans on this board and in general have to put up the money. Pure and simple.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Yomanser, I’m not in a position to debate you on recruiting. And for the record, I believe Roof is a good recruiter. However I would contend that at Tech, recruiting is only going to give you so much. I think we can hit on some 4 Star guys, some under valued guys, etc. But I personally believe our schemes and our lack of development are hurting us. CPJ has shown his schemes will take an average player and compete against superior athletes. When do we see this on the defensive side? So for his talents as a recruiter, I just don’t see his value as a DC. And as my counter argument I give you Boston College who, by star rankings, consistently gets D talent below us. But who by most measures has been better than us over the last five years.

I’ll also throw out duke, northwestern, and purdue. All better when looking at defensive efficiency.

We are what, five years in to his recruiting? And while he’s had some good hits on the recruiting trail, I don’t think he can be the coordinator we need. Too many players over the last few years, to my eyes, have regressed. Some players maybe not seeing the field enough. Schemes that require our players to consistently beat the man in front of him like they were Clemson, or Bama just won’t work.

I don’t doubt Roof is a helluva defensive mind. I just doubt he can be the DC we need him to be. I hope I’m wrong. But how many years do we give him? In the business world, how many years would an underperforming sales mgr get to bring in his reps? How many more years or what is Ted’s benchmark for success?
This is probably the best argument I've heard against Roof. I can absolutely sympathize with your feelings. My only rebuttal would be that I think we are seeing improvement, but it's just not fast enough for some folks

As for your questions, well, if the defense doesn't get better from this season to the next, and we're not winning games, then he's gone, Tech ties and recruiting prowess or not. The improvement doesn't have to be significant, but we can't be regressing. That's the timeline and benchmark I'd give him

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you bother to look at why we lost with those numbers? No, that would skew your agenda.

Against UT we scored 28 in regulation. OT rules stack the deck in the offenses favor so that drives up both our points scored and given up. Offense played well, but it was a lot of yards that didn't lead to points because of costly turnovers.
Against UVA we scored 36 when we had a pick 6 and another TD set up by a fumble on the UVA 14. So the defense basically spotted the offense 14 while special teams gave up a TD and set up a couple of other short fields for UVA that led to FGs, the offense gave up a safety, and a turnover giving UVA the ball at the GT 30.

BUt hey, when you think every point scored is by the offense and every point given up is on the defense then yeah, you'll view will always be skewed.

I dont have an agenda ! I stated clearly that the fire CPJ folks have points but you can justify it anyway you like.
I DONT CARE WHAT THE OFFENSE DID OR DIDNT DO !

Seems to me you have a lot of excuses for why the defense didn’t do what they are suppose to do. Tell me did Tennessee score on our defense or did they score on our offense ?

Every Saturday all over this country offenses turn the ball over and every Saturday all over this country defenses hold.
Your base logic is that if the offense fails then the defense is allowed to give up a score, ludicrous position to take.

And oh yeah since you are obsessed with this OT stuff, explain why There are 3 OT periods ? Isn’t the concept of OT that even if given the ball on the 25 one of the teams won’t score on there turn ?

That means they will be stopped by the defense right ?

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
He doesn’t want to bounce around to a bunch of schools, he wants to be at a P5 school. He has been approached by other lower tier schools for a HC job.

Maybe. I don't think he would do it for even that kind of money. I can say that if he did it would be an immediate and huge upgrade - it can be fun to dream.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My only rebuttal would be that I think we are seeing improvement, but it's just not fast enough for some folks
I felt like we were getting better, but in looking back I’m just not so sure this is true. It looked a little better against some teams...but it’s funny how we say the weather affected us and made our offense struggle, but not the opposition. At times it looked better, but it still crumbled under pressure. Reminded me a lot of 2012 in that regard, actually...better than 2012, for sure, but if we needed a stop we weren’t going to get one. Yeah, I know about Kerr’s deflection...love the result, but we can have a different discussion about how that game ends if they even try to get a first down there on 3rd and 1.

I like Roof, but I honestly just don’t see it getting much better. Probably time for a change, but only if we are going to make a splashy hire instead of the same old conservative crap.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The school cannot under the regulations of the BOR spend any more money on athletics. GT school and students spend comparatively the same as other ACC schools. The BIG difference is that GT does not get as much revenue from: ticket sales, donations, or licensing. The school CANNOT spend any more money. If the fans on this board and in general want more money to be spent on football, then the fans on this board and in general have to put up the money. Pure and simple.

I’ll take you at your word on this but I’ve missed something y’all these years. If we are spending all we can why does there seem to be an issue with “the Hill” and the dedication that the school president has ? Again not trying to argue but if the school is spending all it’s allowed to and the BOR controls the programs Tech is allowed t offer then it sounds like you are saying that the school is fully committed to the Athletic Department with all available resources.

So is the school all in or not, seriously it’s a question I’m not arguing .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Your base logic is that if the offense fails then the defense is allowed to give up a score, ludicrous position to take.

That's a gross mischaracterization of the argument. Many times this season, the Defense DID hold after the offense failed. But they aren't perfect. The UVA game seems to be the best example. The offense failed on 13 of 17 possessions. The D turned around and held UVA on 11 of 18 possessions, and on some of the short fields, forced FGs instead of TDs. Yet we blame the D and attribute no blame to the offense. Makes no sense at all....

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I’ll take you at your word on this but I’ve missed something y’all these years. If we are spending all we can why does there seem to be an issue with “the Hill” and the dedication that the school president has ? Again not trying to argue but if the school is spending all it’s allowed to and the BOR controls the programs Tech is allowed t offer then it sounds like you are saying that the school is fully committed to the Athletic Department with all available resources.

So is the school all in or not, seriously it’s a question I’m not arguing .

Good question. I guess it depends on who you ask. Coach Johnson is pretty adamant about the lack of resources. Personally, I don't think the school is not, as you put it, "all in". I don't think the school administration is even partially "in" much less "all in". Don't seem to be at any rate.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Thankful the owner of this board let’s us speak our minds.

And I understand those saying CTR should be replaced. I do not necessarily disagree.

But, and not for the first time am I saying this, if 4 / 5 years is enough time for CTR, how in the blazes is 11 years not enough time for CPJ? Is it due to payout? That is an insane and specious argument. It could be paid out if it must be done. If it needs doing, how much will it cost us NOT to do it.

And if Sewak is not thrown out, that is proof that this thing is rotting from the head down. And just more proof that CPJ needs to go now. If CTR has to go with him, so be it.

Just seems to me the whole focus is insanely distorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.