Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Very mad, but I predict he will be. We JUST extended him and gave him a raise. Lots of guys I wanted us to go after have already been hired by other schools so there aren't too many names still out there. Hopefully next year when we have 2 out of the 3 basketball coaches we are still paying for come off the books we will throw a lot of money at someone, but we don't seem to like putting our own money into the football program.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I am not a football guru, so this inquiry is directed to those more in the know. It seems clear that Tech's offensive scheme - and, particularly, it's nuanced cut-blocking aspects - is designed to help offset the talent differential when facing defenses that are bigger, faster and more talented than our offensive blockers. My question is how should Roof attack offenses, like UGA's and Clemson's, when their offensive blockers are bigger (often a LOT bigger), faster and more talented than our defensive players? It seems that the differential gets greater every year.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I am not a football guru, so this inquiry is directed to those more in the know. It seems clear that Tech's offensive scheme - and, particularly, it's nuanced cut-blocking aspects - is designed to help offset the talent differential when facing defenses that are bigger, faster and more talented than our offensive blockers. My question is how should Roof attack offenses, like UGA's and Clemson's, when their offensive blockers are bigger (often a LOT bigger), faster and more talented than our defensive players? It seems that the differential gets greater every year.
It's a lot harder to scheme around talent on defense than it is on offense.

Guys like Gary Patterson and Bronco Mendenhall have done some interesting stuff historically running 335 and the attacking Flex attacking Flex nickels, but essentially all that really is a sacrifice size for speed, be confusing and swarm to the ball.

It's a lot of window dressing on the 80s University of Miami concept.

The proliferation of spread offenses has forced most folks down that road anyhow these days.

Only your Alabama's of the world can recruit size and still have the speed to defend spread offenses.

It's the inherent advantage of offense over defense in football: on offense, you can go anywhere they aren't, on defense you have to get where they are.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Guys like Gary Patterson and Bronco Mendenhall have done some interesting stuff historically running 335 and the attacking Flex attacking Flex nickels, but essentially all that really is a sacrifice size for speed, be confusing and swarm to the ball.

It's a lot of window dressing on the 80s University of Miami concept.

The proliferation of spread offenses has forced most folks down that road anyhow these days.

Only your Alabama's of the world can recruit size and still have the speed to defend spread offenses.

It's the inherent advantage of offense over defense in football: on offense, you can go anywhere they aren't, on defense you have to get where they are.
BE CONFUSING AND SWARM THE BALL!
THATS PERFECT FOR THE YELLOW JACKETTS.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's about confusing the opponent. Twist, stunts, pre snap movement, are things you can do along with different types of blitzes. In doing these things you are trying to confuses the OL on who they are blocking, and then you have more guys defensive guys running free or atleast have the OL not getting a clean block. Same thing with coverages, you want the QB to not know what you are in.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, you basically have to be better about disguising what you are trying to do and then execute well. Part of what makes great defenses great is also that they don't shoot themselves in the foot. They don't miss tackles, they don't take bad angles, and they don't blow assignments. Think about how many times our coaches have talked about missed assignments this year or how Ted has had to simplify the defense/play calls the past few years.

slugboy

Staff member

Patterson has a "get old, stay old" philosophy, with a lot of seniors, redshirts, and transfers on the lines. At BYU, Mendenhall had players after their mission years. Grobe used redshirts effectively at WFU. We've had a "problem" of linemen graduating after 3 1/2 years and doing something else, and I think have largely given up on redshirting. I still agree with Patterson's ability to scheme a defense, but I think Roof would look better with a couple of 5th year defensive linemen.
At least, a little better.

Deleted member 2897

I seriously doubt that Roof will be gone, or anyone else, unless they just leave.

Yea, only if they get tired of the fanbase. (not kidding)

If you search twitter for all the assistant coaches like Roof, Sewak, etc., you will see high school coaches and players thanking them for coming by. They are all out working right now.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Obviously we need to start chop-blocking on defense too

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he has, but if he doesn't he could be fired with cause and he just signed a 2 year extension in October so he'd leave money on the table. He's also a good guy and I think even us Roof "haters" like him as a person, we just don't think he has the ability to get it done here. Maybe it's a bad fit, maybe the game's evolved past him, maybe he just plain isn't good. That being said I will believe he's gone only when I see it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We're doing a lot of in-homes currently and if you notice Roof has not been in ANY of them...
I wasn't aware of that. I did think I saw him in on one but I could definitely be wrong. I'm surprised my post hasn't had more comments. I'll give it another hour lol.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think he has, but if he doesn't he could be fired with cause and he just signed a 2 year extension in October so he'd leave money on the table. He's also a good guy and I think even us Roof "haters" like him as a person, we just don't think he has the ability to get it done here. Maybe it's a bad fit, maybe the game's evolved past him, maybe he just plain isn't good. That being said I will believe he's gone only when I see it.

I'm actually leaning toward the game evolving past Roof.

I think roof would be fine if everyone was running I form base offenses.

Deleted member 2897

We're doing a lot of in-homes currently and if you notice Roof has not been in ANY of them...

People have tweeted pretty regularly that he's been by to see them. The only gap I ever saw was the last 4-5 days I haven't seen one. But just because someone hasn't tweeted publicly doesn't mean he hasn't been doing visits either.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We should be a two loss team this season...I really wouldn't be surprised if he got canned. But who is going to replace him?

Status
Not open for further replies.