Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m on record as to why Roof needs to go but given it appears that at the minimum he stays until signing is over I ask this question,

Is it fair to recruit to Roofs defense and then fire Roof ?

Are the recruits being allowed to believe he will be the DC and then fire him after they sign ?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I’m on record as to why Roof needs to go but given it appears that at the minimum he stays until signing is over I ask this question,

Is it fair to recruit to Roofs defense and then fire Roof ?

Are the recruits being allowed to believe he will be the DC and then fire him after they sign ?
As honest and upfront as CPJ is, I'm sure that the recruits know what is going on.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
As honest and upfront as CPJ is, I'm sure that the recruits know what is going on.

That’s what I think and unless we are visiting with an armada with the implied threat to keep quite I think it would be leaked if we are telling kids Roof won’t be here

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Mike, you are a breathe of fresh air. Thanks for joining the site. I

I wish you had been on the Swarm when Eric( the legend) and others who had information were active.

I am enjoying your posts more and more.

Next year is going to be interesting.

Imo, Johnson has cast his lot w Sewak and roof till he is gone. I can't see seal and if ol is still sputtering next year against power 5 it could impact the program in a major way.
I can see Roof as last the d line was rotating players like crazy and we are adding lots of athletic talent at lb and safety d b. I am going with Jerry the jacket - roof will run a good defense next year. We will have the talent to play fast and let's d b single cover. His ast coaches are very animated and positive on side line. As Jerry says Go JACKETS!.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

I wish you had been on the Swarm when Eric( the legend) and others who had information were active.

Imo, Johnson has cast his lot w Sewak and roof till he is gone. I can't see seal and if ol is still sputtering next year against power 5 it could impact the program in a major way.
I can see Roof as last the d line was rotating players like crazy and we are adding lots of athletic talent at lb and safety d b. I am going with Jerry the jacket - roof will run a good defense next year. We will have the talent to play fast and let's d b single cover. His ast coaches are very animated and positive on side line. As Jerry says Go JACKETS!.
There are a whole lot of football head coaches in College Football and the NFL who would rather fall on their swords than fire their friends(y)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

The issue I have in saying, because we will have more talent the D will be good under roof is this, we first have to prove that the better talent coming in will be better than what we have been fielding (which I believe they will) but it's still yet to be seen. Second, I don't believe even with better players the play calling will put the guys in position to be way better. Things like rushing 3 and bringing a delayed blitz against an offense on 3rd and medium when they are in a 2 minute offense isn't helping the players. The QB won't have the ball in his hand long enough for a delay blitz to work. Allowing your DB's to play off 10 yards on short yardage plays instead of demanding them play up, these are just two things out of many that if not changed it might not matter who's on the field.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The issue I have in saying, because we will have more talent the D will be good under roof is this, we first have to prove that the better talent coming in will be better than what we have been fielding (which I believe they will) but it's still yet to be seen. Second, I don't believe even with better players the play calling will put the guys in position to be way better. Things like rushing 3 and bringing a delayed blitz against an offense on 3rd and medium when they are in a 2 minute offense isn't helping the players. The QB won't have the ball in his hand long enough for a delay blitz to work. Allowing your DB's to play off 10 yards on short yardage plays instead of demanding them play up, these are just two things out of many that if not changed it might not matter who's on the field.
I hope we never ever see that delayed blitz u dezcribe. U left out a key point is that the lb 51 runs right into the blocker. He could try to hit a gap so the qb might see him coming into the pocket. I hope we try to hit a gap.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Roof's defensive alignment drove me crazy at times this year. But if I look at our games, only 3 of 11 games scored over 28 points. Virginia had 5 scoring drives under 38 yards due to our poor offense and special teams. Georgia scored 30-something, but we only scored 7 so it didn't matter. Duke was terrible on both sides of the ball. In regulation and ignoring special teams scores, our defense gave up 22 points per game this year and were top 10 in 3rd down defense. If I had to line it out, I would say our offense and special teams cost us twice as much as our defense did this year.

Good point. Let’s fire the OC, too.

Oh, wait....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
If you're letting someone go, you don't tell a recruiting analyst that you're "making changes". It's an HR issue and you say nothing. Either KQ is reading more into this than he should, or it's a conversation that shouldn't have happened, possibly both.

Usually. But Paul is Paul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not only will we be better, but we'll be deeper, which will have a positive effect on ST.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I haven't really kept up with recruiting this season, but has anyone seen a recent photo of Roof out recruiting? One of those pictures with recruits on instagram that usually goes "Thanks to Coach Roof for stopping by XYZ High School!" or "Great in home visit with Coach Roof today!!"

Deleted member 2897

I haven't really kept up with recruiting this season, but has anyone seen a recent photo of Roof out recruiting? One of those pictures with recruits on instagram that usually goes "Thanks to Coach Roof for stopping by XYZ High School!" or "Great in home visit with Coach Roof today!!"

I last looked yesterday, and the most recent I could find was someone thanking him for coming by on Dec 6th.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Like I said he tried to hire other guys and was essentially told no. I can't blame him for that. I've said this to another poster but how would you like to be a manager of a job and your boss say you can hire a new guy because I want your sales up 10 percent but then he won't let you hire who you want to get you to the 10 percent. And on top of that he wants you to match the competitor, but the competitor has 5 more sales guys. It just doesn't add up. I understand it fall on his shoulders, I just don't see how we can blame him for everything when there are these limitations compared to other schools.

Do you not think the DC has anything to do with the struggles?
Great analogy. Our (fans) expectations do not make sense given the tilted playing field. We demand the unrealistic. The Hill has expectations more in line with our results. That is why it is unlikely we get the resources we need to meet our expectations.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I looked on twitter and saw schools thanking him for stopping by but I didn't see any pictures from recruits with him.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Thought I would give my 2 cents as it is probably as worthless as a bunch of the other posts in this thread.

I HATE the Bend & Break defense!
When we started the season last year I said to myself if the defense does not show significant improvements then I am ready for a change on Defense. But we did see significant improvements.
There were still way to may face-palm defensive play calling examples. BUT a lot less than last year.
Tangent "I actually mostly blame the let down on offense for this past seasons poor performance"

In my mind Roof has done a good job overall this past season with a number of mistakes sprinkled in.

I am 100% on board with giving him another year. My expectations for next year is to keep showing the level of improvements that we saw this past season. If he does that then I will be on board for another year.

Basically he earned himself another year and I will be a Roof fan in 2018. Being a fan in 2019 will depend on his performance for 2018.

Also I put the odds of Roof not being here for 2018 at about 5% to 10%. So everyone thinking Roof is gone should probably take a number of steps back from the celebration wagon.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Great analogy. Our (fans) expectations do not make sense given the tilted playing field. We demand the unrealistic. The Hill has expectations more in line with our results. That is why it is unlikely we get the resources we need to meet our expectations.
Agreed. Many of us fans would want us to become another Clemson, or Auburn or even TCU. IMO, schools like those have made sports , and especially football, a priority of the University. They see it as a way to advance the branding and identity of the school in a very competitive landscape. We ( Tech ), on the other hand , have relied more on our academics to advance our brand and identity. If we have an exceptional football season, great, but it doesn't change the paradigm. We are more like Northwestern , Duke , and Vanderbilt than we would like to admit in that regard. In some ways it's amazing that we have been as successful at football as we have been , considering our priorities, in the current era of CFB.

Status
Not open for further replies.