Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

36 of 37 redzone trips scoring? that better?

Bend don't break defenses aren't aggressive by nature. problem is, when you do break and Tech did that every single time in 2017 minus one time.

so no, CTR is not an aggressive calling DC at all ever.

Well, that's still cherry picking. I mean, don't get me wrong, that's horrible. But if you look at just regulation, and just what the defense gave up (ie, ignore kick off return touchdowns), the team gave up 22 points per game and was 11th in the country in 3rd down percentage. And, that 22 points includes a lot of real garbage in it - at Virginia alone, they scored 5 times on drives 38 yards or less. I mean the offense and special teams put our defense against a wall a lot. And we played half the teams in the CFP plus a third that was 1 win away from making it.

Again, I'm not saying we don't have a lot of room for improvement (pardon the double negative), but when you throw out 1 stat by itself, or even a couple, they don't tell the full story.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, that's still cherry picking. I mean, don't get me wrong, that's horrible. But if you look at just regulation, and just what the defense gave up (ie, ignore kick off return touchdowns), the team gave up 22 points per game and was 11th in the country in 3rd down percentage. And, that 22 points includes a lot of real garbage in it - at Virginia alone, they scored 5 times on drives 38 yards or less. I mean the offense and special teams put our defense against a wall a lot. And we played half the teams in the CFP plus a third that was 1 win away from making it.

Again, I'm not saying we don't have a lot of room for improvement (pardon the double negative), but when you throw out 1 stat by itself, or even a couple, they don't tell the full story.

never was saying the defense was bad or not. just saying not aggressive

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll ask again. Is there a stat for blitz per snap? Or another stat for determining how aggressive a defense is.

Because you think a defense is not aggressive and can show a play where the team drops into zone coverage and rushes 3 does nothing to convince me. What was the proper call? Coach?

Not that I disagree playing the corners soft on fourth down does not infuriate me, but claiming Roof is not aggressive is only a claim unless there are at least some stats to back it up.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'll ask again. Is there a stat for blitz per snap? Or another stat for determining how aggressive a defense is.

Because you think a defense is not aggressive and can show a play where the team drops into zone coverage and rushes 3 does nothing to convince me. What was the proper call? Coach?

Not that I disagree playing the corners soft on fourth down does not infuriate me, but claiming Roof is not aggressive is only a claim unless there are at least some stats to back it up.
I dont know of any stats, that would be an interesting one though. I do know CPJ said we need to get more aggressive, and he watches the film so I'd assume he knew we weren't that aggressive, but that's just speculation on my end.

Jmonty71

Banned

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28/p2

Here's my issue. We ranked 64th defensively, this year. Allowing 26.5 points per game.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27/p2

At the same time... We ranked 71st offensively, this year. Only scoring 28.1 per game

Now.... Yes... We scored more than we allowed. But, stat wise... Both are horrid.

No use in even listing Special Teams... We all know we were almost dead last.
These really aren't fair stats imo, when other teams get way more possessions because of what we do on offense. I like the FEI because it's more about efficiency. Our D in FEI was ranked 66th the O was 23rd. Both of these numbers were before the UGA game so when the stats are updated I would imagine both would drop some.

Jmonty71

Banned
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

Last 5 years in defensive rankings

2017 - 66th
2016 - 94th
2015 - 62nd
2014 - 70th
2013 - 77th

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

Last 5 years in offensive rankings

2017 - 23rd
2016 - 21st
2015 - 88th
2014 - 3rd
2013 - 39th

Anyone see a difference? Or is it just me?

Seems like the D is going nowhere.. Yeah... We improved... Back to our 2015 form. Have YET to break the top 50, under Roof.

Jmonty71

Banned
These really aren't fair stats imo, when other teams get way more possessions because of what we do on offense. I like the FEI because it's more about efficiency. Our D in FEI was ranked 66th the O was 23rd. Both of these numbers were before the UGA game so when the stats are updated I would imagine both would drop some.
I agree. I like FEI stats better too. They are usually more spot on. They take the fluff out of games and don't give credit to creampuffs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

Last 5 years in defensive rankings

2017 - 66th
2016 - 94th
2015 - 62nd
2014 - 70th
2013 - 77th

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

Last 5 years in offensive rankings

2017 - 23rd
2016 - 21st
2015 - 88th
2014 - 3rd
2013 - 39th

Anyone see a difference? Or is it just me?

Seems like the D is going nowhere.. Yeah... We improved... Back to our 2015 form. Have YET to break the top 50, under Roof.
You must take in consideration that offensive cord has been the same since day one. Roof inherited a mess on many levels. Give Roof 5 more years and compare. That will be fair according to your standard.

floridajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28/p2

Here's my issue. We ranked 64th defensively, this year. Allowing 26.5 points per game.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27/p2

At the same time... We ranked 71st offensively, this year. Only scoring 28.1 per game

Now.... Yes... We scored more than we allowed. But, stat wise... Both are horrid.

No use in even listing Special Teams... We all know we were almost dead last.

In addition to the FEI ratings, our offense structurally has worse points-per-game on offense and better points-per-game on defense. 4/6 TD's vs drives is better than 5/8. With two more drives, that's approximately two more times the opponent also got the ball.

The FEI ratings try to take into account how successful each drive is, rather than points per game. For simple stats, I look at yards per play and points per drive. For 2017:

Yards per play offense: #53
Yards per play defense: #69

Points per drive offense: #58
Points per drive defense: #68

The FEI rankings like our home run plays on offense. S&P+ looks more at whether each play individually is successful (i.e. does a 1st and 10 run get 4 yards?). We were #61 in S&P+ offense. So offense was pretty bad at least this year IMO. The home runs don't make up for lack of success on most plays.

But the ratings uniformly say our defense is pretty awful. The offense could be much better next year, but I don't have the same optimism for the defense.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
Bottom line is Roof has got to go, point blank. Got to find a replacement (Troy, Jacksonsonville State dcs) or better yet, hire a LB coach from a power 5 conference. Poof to Roof!

You are not understanding my point. Paul is the OC he has been in complete control of all aspects as far as personal, who plays, who doesn't, what plays are being ran etc.... you get my point. My point is the stats being compared are for the time Ted has been DC. Paul had is in year 10. Paul has not had the handicaps in his first five years. Ted didn't have a Josh Nesbit, or JD, Roddy, Bebe. He hasn't really had any real studs up until the last couple of years. We have had only style of offense for 10 years. We have several styles of defense and one that set us back 3 years ala the 3-4. Change for the sake of change is not always good. Why do most of you people not think that Ted and Stanss have more vested in Tech than Johnson. Ted could have gone to other places to coach. His resume proves that. Have the same patients with him as you do for the wing t. Still waiting for the forward pass to be a viable threat. Other than watching a washed up pitcher and a NFL all pro, we haven't seen any real imagination or any want to from this current OC to show me that he really cares about the pass. I get the feeling if it were possible he would have the forward pass outlawed from football all together.

You are not understanding my point. Paul is the OC he has been in complete control of all aspects as far as personal, who plays, who doesn't, what plays are being ran etc.... you get my point. My point is the stats being compared are for the time Ted has been DC. Paul had is in year 10. Paul has not had the handicaps in his first five years. Ted didn't have a Josh Nesbit, or JD, Roddy, Bebe. He hasn't really had any real studs up until the last couple of years. We have had only style of offense for 10 years. We have several styles of defense and one that set us back 3 years ala the 3-4. Change for the sake of change is not always good. Why do most of you people not think that Ted and Stanss have more vested in Tech than Johnson. Ted could have gone to other places to coach. His resume proves that. Have the same patients with him as you do for the wing t. Still waiting for the forward pass to be a viable threat. Other than watching a washed up pitcher and a NFL all pro, we haven't seen any real imagination or any want to from this current OC to show me that he really cares about the pass. I get the feeling if it were possible he would have the forward pass outlawed from football all together.
Before anyone goes ape $hit over the washed up pitcher comment. It was done in a jokingly way. Smelter was a bad man on the football field. He made Jet look better than he really was. My point again it has only taken NFL caliber players for the passing game to be even a threat. That shouldn't be the case in year 10.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I see both sides of this argument and must admit I am off the Roof bandwagon. His "blitzes" are unimaginative and the old eyeball test tells me we are little better now than even five years ago. On the other hand, I still contend it is more a matter of talent or lack thereof that is at work here concerning the defense. We just do not have the players across the board. There is no way to sugar coat this situation. Either the recruiting improves drastically or it is going to be more of the same. The business of playing more aggressively does not take into account the fact that we are not up to par on the perimeter of our defense and Roof showed that he is lacking confidence in our secondary with his play calling. I am not so sure that in his shoes I would do likewise. It was demonstrated over the course of this season that a decent quarterback with time would riddle our secondary when left to their own devices by blitzing. Bottom line we could not cover receivers to save our souls.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
If Ted roof is still the DC after the Dec 20th signing day how mad would you be? I'd be pretty mad

Status
Not open for further replies.