Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
People have tweeted pretty regularly that he's been by to see them. The only gap I ever saw was the last 4-5 days I haven't seen one. But just because someone hasn't tweeted publicly doesn't mean he hasn't been doing visits either.

He wasn't in the Jaylon King, Tijai Whatley, Jemarcus Chatman, Julius W. in Germany, etc... all the last couple days on their twitters.

Not saying it necessarily means he's gone but still interesting.

Deleted member 2897

Our offense cost us as many games, probably more, than our defense.

Roof's defensive alignment drove me crazy at times this year. But if I look at our games, only 3 of 11 games scored over 28 points. Virginia had 5 scoring drives under 38 yards due to our poor offense and special teams. Georgia scored 30-something, but we only scored 7 so it didn't matter. Duke was terrible on both sides of the ball. In regulation and ignoring special teams scores, our defense gave up 22 points per game this year and were top 10 in 3rd down defense. If I had to line it out, I would say our offense and special teams cost us twice as much as our defense did this year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think he has, but if he doesn't he could be fired with cause and he just signed a 2 year extension in October so he'd leave money on the table. He's also a good guy and I think even us Roof "haters" like him as a person, we just don't think he has the ability to get it done here. Maybe it's a bad fit, maybe the game's evolved past him, maybe he just plain isn't good. That being said I will believe he's gone only when I see it.

I really hope he decides to stay at GT in some capacity

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We should be a two loss team this season...I really wouldn't be surprised if he got canned. But who is going to replace him?

This is why I think we should have done it earlier if we were going to do it. Not only is it a crappy thing to do to recruits, but lots of good coaching prospects have been hired away already.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just not as D.C. ;) My thought is asst HC and recruiting coordinator

Maybe in the AD dept. somehow? Not sure if CPJ or the new DC would be comfortable with him on the staff in those roles? The guy is one of us, a GT man to the core. I really hate the idea of kicking him to the curb again, especially with his son on the team.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

slugboy

Staff member
https://georgiatech.rivals.com/news/jol-podcast-8

Kelly Q saying that CPJ told him chnages will be happening. Said he thinks Roof will be gone after the early signing period.

Why would CPJ drop a hint about letting someone go to a recruiting analyst before the early signing period was over? That would destroy any value of keeping him on through the signing date.
If you're going to make assignment changes or schematic changes, you can talk about that and share details. If you're letting anyone go, you don't say a word. If KQ's understanding of things is right, it would have been dumb to talk to him about it.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Maybe in the AD dept. somehow? Not sure if CPJ or the new DC would be comfortable with him on the staff in those roles? The guy is one of us, a GT man to the core. I really hate the idea of kicking him to the curb again, especially with his son on the team.

I'm sure an agreeable solution can be found if all parties want to. Like you and others have stated it's real hard for me to think about just cutting him loose

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Why would CPJ drop a hint about letting someone go to a recruiting analyst before the early signing period was over? That would destroy any value of keeping him on through the signing date.
If you're going to make assignment changes or schematic changes, you can talk about that and share details. If you're letting anyone go, you don't say a word. If KQ's understanding of things is right, it would have been dumb to talk to him about it.
All CPJ told him was that changes would be made. That could go from adding new staff, to someone getting fired. Kelly Q just gave his opinion on Roof being fired and he gave a reason as why he thinks that. His reason was based on the on field performance.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I can't stand KQ, don't really put much stock in what he has to say. Hopefully he's partially wrong and ole Ted will follow the classic upper management model of failing UPwards.

slugboy

Staff member
All CPJ told him was that changes would be made. That could go from adding new staff, to someone getting fired. Kelly Q just gave his opinion on Roof being fired and he gave a reason as why he thinks that. His reason was based on the on field performance.
If you're letting someone go, you don't tell a recruiting analyst that you're "making changes". It's an HR issue and you say nothing. Either KQ is reading more into this than he should, or it's a conversation that shouldn't have happened, possibly both.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Really special teams more than anything. However, the D has been a consistent issue over the years, we can't really say that about the offense.

And what has been the constant in all those years? The head coach.

Also, I'd argue that the offense is reaching the point where it's an issue regularly enough to warrant discussion. It's been an issue two of the last 3 years and even last year it wasn't really what you would expect with a 3rd year starter leading the way. Last year we lost to clemson when we scored 7 points giving up 26 and 5 of those came from a safety and a FG on a -2 yard drive. Against Miami we had 2 TDs given up by the offense. Both those games the defense gave up 21 and we lost. Against Pitt, the offense had a good game, although 27 offensive points is hardly stellar (there was a KoR for a TD by us), but if we recall the end of that game it was tied, we had the ball and chose to go for it on 4th and short and couldn't pick it up giving Pitt the ball in FG range. We've heard for years about wanting a defense that put the game in our offenses hand and even though the defense was good, that was the situation we found ourselves in.

IMO a big issue in recent years is that our offense isn't really the bonus that people claim. Last year we only won one game where the opponent scored over 28 and that was Duke where the only reason they did was back to back fumbles in our territory giving them effectively 14 points. This year we didn't win a game where the opponent scored over 28 in regulation. Same thing in 2015. You have to go back to 2014 against MSU to really find a game where the offense put the team on its back and won it. Sure, it's been solid enough where we'll usually win if we hold opposing teams under 28. But that really isn't that special. In contrast back in 2009 when the offense really felt special, we won 4 games where we gave up more than 28.

Defense might be an issue but at this point why should I believe that the issue is DC and not HC?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
And what has been the constant in all those years? The head coach.

Also, I'd argue that the offense is reaching the point where it's an issue regularly enough to warrant discussion. It's been an issue two of the last 3 years and even last year it wasn't really what you would expect with a 3rd year starter leading the way. Last year we lost to clemson when we scored 7 points giving up 26 and 5 of those came from a safety and a FG on a -2 yard drive. Against Miami we had 2 TDs given up by the offense. Both those games the defense gave up 21 and we lost. Against Pitt, the offense had a good game, although 27 offensive points is hardly stellar (there was a KoR for a TD by us), but if we recall the end of that game it was tied, we had the ball and chose to go for it on 4th and short and couldn't pick it up giving Pitt the ball in FG range. We've heard for years about wanting a defense that put the game in our offenses hand and even though the defense was good, that was the situation we found ourselves in.

IMO a big issue in recent years is that our offense isn't really the bonus that people claim. Last year we only won one game where the opponent scored over 28 and that was Duke where the only reason they did was back to back fumbles in our territory giving them effectively 14 points. This year we didn't win a game where the opponent scored over 28 in regulation. Same thing in 2015. You have to go back to 2014 against MSU to really find a game where the offense put the team on its back and won it. Sure, it's been solid enough where we'll usually win if we hold opposing teams under 28. But that really isn't that special. In contrast back in 2009 when the offense really felt special, we won 4 games where we gave up more than 28.

Defense might be an issue but at this point why should I believe that the issue is DC and not HC?
IMO the constant has been the HILL. I personally cant blame a head coach who is also an offensive coordinator, for the D, especially when he has tried to hire specific guys but was not able to do so because of money. I mean, the dude almost every single year has his group of guy playing well above what their recruiting rankings would indicate they should be. I also see a coach who even with the limitations, has done so much at GT. If the D played to the level of what their rankings would indicate it would be a different story, but they play well below their talent level imo.

Also our offense has been in the top 25 in all but 4 years under CPJ, with 2 top 5 finishes. Even this year we were 24th going into the UGA game and the D was 66th. These are by FEI.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I personally cant blame a head coach who is also an offensive coordinator, for the D, especially when he has tried to hire specific guys but was not able to do so because of money. I mean, the dude almost every single year has his group of guy playing well above what their recruiting rankings would indicate they should be.

And he's a head coach. Not offensive coordinator. His group is the entire team. Not just one side of the ball. If his choice to call his own plays interferes with his responsibilities to the whole team then maybe we should be looking into a new OC rather than a new DC. At least that would be trying something different and not just starting the same 4 year cycle all over again.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
And he's a head coach. Not offensive coordinator. His group is the entire team. Not just one side of the ball. If his choice to call his own plays interferes with his responsibilities to the whole team then maybe we should be looking into a new OC rather than a new DC. At least that would be trying something different and not just starting the same 4 year cycle all over again.
Like I said he tried to hire other guys and was essentially told no. I can't blame him for that. I've said this to another poster but how would you like to be a manager of a job and your boss say you can hire a new guy because I want your sales up 10 percent but then he won't let you hire who you want to get you to the 10 percent. And on top of that he wants you to match the competitor, but the competitor has 5 more sales guys. It just doesn't add up. I understand it fall on his shoulders, I just don't see how we can blame him for everything when there are these limitations compared to other schools.

Do you not think the DC has anything to do with the struggles?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.