Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm not certain Kelly is as good as we like to remember him. None of his defenses at FSU were particularly great, even with all their talent. 2017 was their best year under his direction, and they barely cracked the top 20 in DFEI. Twice he was in the 40's, which considering the recruiting success they enjoy, is almost criminole.
fify. ;)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not certain Kelly is as good as we like to remember him. None of his defenses at FSU were particularly great, even with all their talent. 2017 was their best year under his direction, and they barely cracked the top 20 in DFEI. Twice he was in the 40's, which considering the recruiting success they enjoy, is almost criminal.
Yea, I'm not saying he is this great coach. I just trust what one of our former players have said about they would take him her right away. I personally like Chad Glasgow.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Without good recruits, we could have Venables or Foster and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yea, I'm not saying he is this great coach. I just trust what one of our former players have said about they would take him her right away. I personally like Chad Glasgow.

I get that, but I have trouble with hiring a DC that was fired from a factory school for underwhelming performance where recruiting isn't an issue, but a strength. I fail to see how he'll all of a sudden over-perform with our recruiting classes when he couldn't do well with the top 10 classes at FSU. Seems counterintuitive to me.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I get that, but I have trouble with hiring a DC that was fired from a factory school for underwhelming performance where recruiting isn't an issue, but a strength. I fail to see how he'll all of a sudden over-perform with our recruiting classes when he couldn't do well with the top 10 classes at FSU. Seems counterintuitive to me.
I get that, I think most are just wanting something different, something more aggressive.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes it absolutely would. Good coaches and schemes can absolutely make up a talent gap. Look at BC when Dan Brown was there.

I will concede that a great coach can do more with less (CPJ), but Tenuta had great defensive players to work with. We also had Giff, who did a fantastic job recruiting. If you have slow, small DEs (for example), you can certainly teach them to wrap up and play disciplined football, but they may not catch that 5 star running back coming at them. Jimmies and Joes and what not...

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I will concede that a great coach can do more with less (CPJ), but Tenuta had great defensive players to work with. We also had Giff, who did a fantastic job recruiting. If you have slow, small DEs (for example), you can certainly teach them to wrap up and play disciplined football, but they may not catch that 5 star running back coming at them. Jimmies and Joes and what not...
What is Giff up to? We should hire him as a recruiter

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there a stat for "aggressiveness"? Like how many blitzes per snap?

Tech blitzed often this past year. To say that Roof was not aggressive is not accurate in my opinion. That Tech was not effective getting to the quarterback with blitzes called would be more accurate. I will concede during the last few minutes of a half or the end of the game Roof did not get aggressive. But over the course of the game I recall numerous blitzes. Including corner blitz packages.

If there is a stat somewhere about how many blitzes a defensive coordinator calls per game I would like to see it. And compare it to other DCs around the league.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there a stat for "aggressiveness"? Like how many blitzes per snap?

Tech blitzed often this past year. To say that Roof was not aggressive is not accurate in my opinion. That Tech was not effective getting to the quarterback with blitzes called would be more accurate. I will concede during the last few minutes of a half or the end of the game Roof did not get aggressive. But over the course of the game I recall numerous blitzes. Including corner blitz packages.

If there is a stat somewhere about how many blitzes a defensive coordinator calls per game I would like to see it. And compare it to other DCs around the league.

I can tell you he wasn't aggressive overall. go look at every game at the end of either half were the other team has the ball. the only way he could get any softer would be not having anyone one the field

Deleted member 2897

I can tell you he wasn't aggressive overall. go look at every game at the end of either half were the other team has the ball. the only way he could get any softer would be not having anyone one the field

This is the perfect illustration to me of your post. 4th and 6 - the redline is the line to meet. (It was previously 3rd and 18 and we just gave up 12 yards!)

Notice that not only are we putting nobody on the line, but at the snap, nearly everybody backs up from there. At the time of the throw, there are only 4 guys within about 10 yards. On a 4th and 6. That effectively means its 11 for Duke versus 4 for Georgia Tech. That's like taking candy from a kid. While we could always use more talent, this is a scheme problem and not talent. You put a 5* DB 6 yards off the line on 4th and 6, tell him at the snap to back pedal another 4 yards, and what odds would you give them for making the stop? They have to completely change their momentum and then make it back to the line to beat. Its insanity.

KZ1g4n.gif

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A more aggressive substitution package.

In this situation we should bring in the young but pretty large back up safeties. The lb we have are way too slow to cover the pass and have not been a threat on the blitz. .( If a shorter yardage situation, then leave the lb. ). This substitution package must play back or they would be burned on slant route for very big game.

We ceded the first down before the snap with package and player position. Simple throw and catch. At least the LB could move around and disguise the defense ? )

It can't be fun to play this kind of defense.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen that gif so many times but I never noticed #99(?) our NT doing that weird stutter step right into the OL and then getting stood up. That's not very good.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Judging ANY DC on their end of half/game prevent calls is silly if you're using it to characterize the entirety of his scheme. Most DCs get real conservative at EOH/EOG. We just haven't been successful at it.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Judging ANY DC on their end of half/game prevent calls is silly if you're using it to characterize the entirety of his scheme. Most DCs get real conservative at EOH/EOG. We just haven't been successful at it.

36 of 37 redzone trips scoring? that better?

Bend don't break defenses aren't aggressive by nature. problem is, when you do break and Tech did that every single time in 2017 minus one time.

so no, CTR is not an aggressive calling DC at all ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.