Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmonty71

Banned
This in a nutshell is one of our biggest handicaps. Our student-athletes do not have the time to dedicate to football that kids going to factories do.
Pfft... That's an under statement. We don't offer bowling, basket weaving and sports management. To add, we actually make students attend class.. More than I can say about Ugag, Bama and such.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Honestly.... I prefer the 4-3 to the 3-4.. Just a personal thing. I guess it's having that old fashioned bone crushing MLB, along with 2 studs at DE. We had that in high school, mixed with the 5-0, we ran against run happy teams. I feel that the 3-4 places more strain on the LBs, than almost any other defense. Just because the LBs are responsible, for so much. I am not too sure we are staffed properly for a well ran 4-3. I think we are lacking that great inside tackling of the MLB and the DE's are well....non existent. I think Roof is aware of this. But, you can't just magically make great players appear.

Groh's defense was a good fit for GT in theory. Just wasn't executed well imo. It works really well against spread teams if the linebackers are athletic enough and pressure can be generated from all over.

Roof runs a 4-2-5. I personally think we don't have good personnel for it but that's me. What do I know. The Hornfrogs use the 4-2-5 as their base and it has worked well for them.

http://grantland.com/features/hard-knocks-playing-defense-with-tcus-gary-patterson/

Jmonty71

Banned
Groh's defense was a good fit for GT in theory. Just wasn't executed well imo. It works really well against spread teams if the linebackers are athletic enough and pressure can be generated from all over.

Roof runs a 4-2-5. I personally think we don't have good personnel for it but that's me. What do I know. The Hornfrogs use the 4-2-5 as their base and it has worked well for them.

http://grantland.com/features/hard-knocks-playing-defense-with-tcus-gary-patterson/
I honestly think we run the 4-2-5 based on the fact, we are limited on quality LBs. I foresee more traditional 4-3 going into next year. Swilling showed some serious promise.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think we run the 4-2-5 based on the fact, we are limited on quality LBs. I foresee more traditional 4-3 going into next year. Swilling showed some serious promise.

I don't. CPJ has stated the team is short on linebackers. GT only recruiting 2 this year while recruiting 4 or 5 hybrid like safety/corner defenders.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

5-5-1, 2-5-4, 4-2-5, the formation doesn't matter.

With most teams in our conference running some form of 4-wide "Spread" we can't run a traditional 4-3 where you have three linebackers going 6'4", 230. It makes sense to have a nickel guy in there as the 3rd linebacker, a 6'1", 210 pound guy who can cover and play run support. I mean, if you had to draw up the ideal guy it'd probably be Minkah Fitzpatrick.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
...As for the secondary, we lose Durham, Austin, Austin and Griffin. AJ Gray comes back for his senior year. Lamont Simmons is back at the other CB spot, and we have Kerr, Tre Swilling, Campbell and others ready to jump in. Most of these were higher rated recruits than the ones that are leaving, so while we will miss a little in the experience department, we shouldn't slide to far. DT looks good, but losing both of our DEs has me more worried than the losses in the secondary. If our DL can improve next year, I really like where I think this D is heading.

Losing sack-leader Simmons certainly hurts, but this year there were 9 guys seeing significant playing time on the D-Line. Antwan Owens contributed as a true freshman, and I look forward to seeing Cortez Alston and Chris Martin getting into the mix. And like you said, hopefully these higher rated <ahem taller> guys in the secondary will make plays the outgoing seniors couldn’t.

Last edited:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We run a true nickel package and not a 4-2-5 like other colleges do. What I mean by that is we have 5 DBs on the field (Lawrence Austin being the nickel back) whereas other teams run it with 4 DBs and a hybrid DB/LB. We did this under Wommack I believe. It's super popular in college with all the spread teams where you have a guy who can be a box safety and cover as well. If we ran this type of 4-2-5 I would imagine AJ would be the hybrid position, but we use him as a true safety. I don't really know any other college teams that run it the way we do as it's more of an NFL package/prevent system. The funny thing is that we should be great at going prevent since we're always in it but other teams score at the end of the half every. single. time.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
We run a true nickel package and not a 4-2-5 like other colleges do. What I mean by that is we have 5 DBs on the field (Lawrence Austin being the nickel back) whereas other teams run it with 4 DBs and a hybrid DB/LB. We did this under Wommack I believe. It's super popular in college with all the spread teams where you have a guy who can be a box safety and cover as well. If we ran this type of 4-2-5 I would imagine AJ would be the hybrid position, but we use him as a true safety. I don't really know any other college teams that run it the way we do as it's more of an NFL package/prevent system. The funny thing is that we should be great at going prevent since we're always in it but other teams score at the end of the half every. single. time.

I think that's a function of personnel. Last two recruiting class brought and will bring in more hybrid players.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
Pfft... That's an under statement. We don't offer bowling, basket weaving and sports management. To add, we actually make students attend class.. More than I can say about Ugag, Bama and such.

I know I'm jumping in but I have a question:
Do we care more about the student athletes having a well-paying job when they graduate or do we want to ensure that they have an impressive major with hard classes? I'm only asking b/c many athletes at these "factory" schools actually do very well post-graduation purely based on their personal skills and alumni network.

I was a ChemE major (arguably one of the hardest majors at Tech) and I'm a management consultant today. Yes, having Tech and ChemE on my resume certainly helped me get a job but I'd like to believe that my personal skills and alumni network got me in the door and I learned everything else on the job.

Just something to think about.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Do we care more about the student athletes having a well-paying job when they graduate or do we want to ensure that they have an impressive major with hard classes?

Or do we not want to have a separate school for athletes? If NCAA sports are supposed to be about "student-athletes", then the people who play the sports should be students. Too many schools have gotten to where athletics(at least football and basketball) are minor league teams that have little to nothing to do with the school. Is it so important for your school to win a football game that you want people who aren't really students at your school(ringers), to play instead of actually playing students from your school against students from the other school? I do understand that some allowances are made to get athletes in school and such. However, it is extremely wrong in my opinion to make academic decisions, such as new majors, specifically to get athletes into the school who could not get in before. Let the professional leagues run minor league systems and get the schools to compete with actual student-athletes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the reason most kids choose an offer is very simple: ego. Which feather is the prettiest in the pile. Certain offers stand out among all the rest based on status. A Bama offer is the coup de grace. A Bama offer pumps high school kid’s ego over all other. All other criteria are secondary or tie breakers. In this arena, we simply cannot compete.

Some kids, the vast minority, value other things more. Those are the ones that choose GT. These are the ones most likely not to transfer and not to get dismissed. In this arena, we must make our hay. There are some blue chip in this subset but very few. There are more diamonds in the rough. We must be better miners than the others.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Kelly is available and there are plenty of other guys we could pay way more than what they are currently getting.

I'm not certain Kelly is as good as we like to remember him. None of his defenses at FSU were particularly great, even with all their talent. 2017 was their best year under his direction, and they barely cracked the top 20 in DFEI. Twice he was in the 40's, which considering the recruiting success they enjoy, is almost criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.