Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Roof and CPJ do part ways, one guy I've been high on is Erik Chinander of UCF. Scott Frost gets all the pub, but UCF's defense has been pretty darn good the last 2 years. Defensive FEI of 10 in 2016, and FEI of 16 this year. Young guy that plays a multiple attacking style defense. Plays to his talent, and believes heavily in developing talent. Oh, and he's only making $425,000 a year.
UCF's defense is not looking good against Memphis today, and I don't think they looked all that good against USF either.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
UCF's defense is not looking good against Memphis today, and I don't think they looked all that good against USF either.

I dunno, winning looks pretty good. But see your point.

However, if that was us playing ucf today instead of Memphis, most on our boards would be talking about what a great O wizard CPJ is, not that we lost the game.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
If Roof and CPJ do part ways, one guy I've been high on is Erik Chinander of UCF. Scott Frost gets all the pub, but UCF's defense has been pretty darn good the last 2 years. Defensive FEI of 10 in 2016, and FEI of 16 this year. Young guy that plays a multiple attacking style defense. Plays to his talent, and believes heavily in developing talent. Oh, and he's only making $425,000 a year.

Wouldn't Frost take him with him to Nebraska?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
http://spendingdatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/acc
According to this article, as of 2015, we are THIRD HIGHEST in the ACC in athletic spending per athlete, behind only FSU and Clemson.......

True, but you have to remember that spending is drastically higher at all schools for the sports at the top end (which includes the teams we have) than at the bottom end (which includes more of the extra teams we don’t support), so every sport added naturally brings your average down. How much do you think UNC actually spends on crew or handball per athlete? I am pretty confident we are not in the top half in spending on football.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For those who doubt Roof's ability to recruit, check out this article about Daryl Smith coming back to get his degree after a 13 year NFL career. He credits his relationship with Roof as one of the major factors for choosing Tech over his childhood team FSU and the dwags.

"That was a process, the recruiting process. I had a lot of offers, recruited by pretty much everybody and it ended up coming down to Georgia, Florida State and Tech, and just looking at everything -- I grew up a FSU fan, but it just wasn't the right fit," Smith said.

"I had a great relationship with [Georgia Tech defensive coordinator] Ted Roof, and we were on the way up [as a program]. It was the best fit for me education-wise, football-wise, coming to Atlanta. It was an awesome decision, the best decision I made."

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120517aaa.html

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
You know for supposedly having academics that force us to have a higher bar for our athletes we seems to have a ton of problems with things being too complicated quite often.

I think the issue isn't understanding it but having enough film time and practice repetitions to make it second nature. This applies to the coaches too. They need time to watch practice film, but that may not be possible if they have to devote time to developing game plans, watching recruiting film, and doing whatever else it is they have to do.

Jmonty71

Banned
For those who doubt Roof's ability to recruit, check out this article about Daryl Smith coming back to get his degree after a 13 year NFL career. He credits his relationship with Roof as one of the major factors for choosing Tech over his childhood team FSU and the dwags.

"That was a process, the recruiting process. I had a lot of offers, recruited by pretty much everybody and it ended up coming down to Georgia, Florida State and Tech, and just looking at everything -- I grew up a FSU fan, but it just wasn't the right fit," Smith said.

"I had a great relationship with [Georgia Tech defensive coordinator] Ted Roof, and we were on the way up [as a program]. It was the best fit for me education-wise, football-wise, coming to Atlanta. It was an awesome decision, the best decision I made."

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120517aaa.html
13 + years ago??? Am I reading this right. You are talking about a recruit, brought in over 13 years ago?

Jmonty71

Banned
Do you think Smith's comments are any less relevant today? Recruiting IS building relationships
Yes....yes I do. Today's kids could care less. It's a whole different world. It's about the now, who's winning, who brings the best chance of NFL careers and such. Heck, in some schools...cars, girls and money.. An 18 year old, in today's world, does not care about what someone did 13+ years ago. Heck... Tom Landry would of never gotten fired, from the Cowboys, using that logic.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yes....yes I do. Today's kids could care less. It's a whole different world. It's about the now, who's winning, who brings the best chance of NFL careers and such. Heck, in some schools...cars, girls and money.. An 18 year old, in today's world, does not care about what someone did 13+ years ago. Heck... Tom Landry would of never gotten fired, from the Cowboys, using that logic.

Well you might want to take a look at comments from today's recruits and how their relationship with their recruiter affect where they choose to go to school. But I forgot this was just another chance for you to slam CTR.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Since CPJ has been here, the defensive side of the ball has always out recruited the offensive side of the ball. A large part of that is system the offensive side runs as elite offensive players don't want to play there. If you look at the 4 star commits we've been able to sign, I'd say a good 90% of them have been defensive players. Look at last year, we signed 4 four star players, all were defensive guys. We have 2 4 star commits this season, both are on the defensive side as well.

I think every coach brings something different to the table in terms of recruiting. Roof has really helped with Gwinnett recruiting because he has a lot of history and ties there. Al Groh did well in the DC/Baltimore areas. That's where we got guys like Attoachou and Louis Young.

CPJ has been at GT long enough that HS coaches in the area know what type of environment their kids are going to get.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
13 + years ago??? Am I reading this right. You are talking about a recruit, brought in over 13 years ago?

Today's recruits say the same things about Roof. Your reaction is predictable, however, as you would blame Roof for breaking a test tube even if he cured cancer in the process. :rolleyes:

Jmonty71

Banned
Well you might want to take a look at comments from today's recruits and how their relationship with their recruiter affect where they choose to go to school. But I forgot this was just another chance for you to slam CTR.
That was more just facts... Kids do not care about what someone did 13-15 years ago. Not one kid will follow a recruiter based on how good they were 13-15 years ago. Just like, they won't sign with a head coach that was good 15 years ago. It's about the now.

That is what I am saying. Especially those high level recruits. Most don't even care about college. The NCAA is nothing more than a 3 year audition. In basketball, it's worse... It's a one year audition.

Point is... Today... It is beyond just recruiters.. It's talent agents. Anyone that says agents aren't chirping in the ears of these 4 and 5 star recruits is lying. Heck... a friend of mine has a highly talented son. He had agents talking to him in his Freshman year.

Jmonty71

Banned
Today's recruits say the same things about Roof. Your reaction is predictable, however, as you would blame Roof for breaking a test tube even if he cured cancer in the process. :rolleyes:
And.... Roof can do no wrong, in your book. So, we are at a standstill.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Just a few articles with quotes about Rooof's recruiting, since hearing directly from a former NFL player recruitied by CTR wasn't enough. These are also fairly recent.

From this article: http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...brothers-georgia-tech/dYQgDRDHmrel8qDFpP1NRN/

"Despite their father’s collegiate exploits — he is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame and led the Yellow Jackets’ “Black Watch” defense with Ted Roof — signing with Tech was not a given. Pat told them to choose the school that they felt was the best fit and offered opportunity.

But Tech won, thanks in no small part to Roof’s recruiting efforts from the time they were freshmen."

From This article: http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/ar...cle_30d7d7fe-7eae-5db8-9957-83ac0ccf1605.html

"Roof has boosted those numbers higher with a 2014 class that featured North Gwinnett’s C.J. Leggett and Norcross’ Clinton Lynch and Myles Autry (though Autry never made it on campus), as well as a 2015 class that included GAC’s Tyler Cooksey, Buford’s David Curry and North’s Anree Saint-Amour."

From this article: https://www.dawgnation.com/football...ntion-of-several-top-prospects-at-img-academy

"He said he has underestimated Georgia Tech in his recruiting, and the key draws there are also the educational opportunity plus the location close to home.

“Coach (Ted) Roof is a great guy and a family guy,” Chimedza said. “He showed me around the campus and I got to meet some of the professors there. I saw a really good picture of how I would be successful there as a student but also after school with my degree. They did a good job of showing me the path at Tech.”"

(Note: this article about TK Chimedza is written with the seeming assumption he would be committing to uga)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
That was more just facts... Kids do not care about what someone did 13-15 years ago. Not one kid will follow a recruiter based on how good they were 13-15 years ago. Just like, they won't sign with a head coach that was good 15 years ago. It's about the now.

That is what I am saying. Especially those high level recruits. Most don't even care about college. The NCAA is nothing more than a 3 year audition. In basketball, it's worse... It's a one year audition.

Point is... Today... It is beyond just recruiters.. It's talent agents. Anyone that says agents aren't chirping in the ears of these 4 and 5 star recruits is lying. Heck... a friend of mine has a highly talented son. He had agents talking to him in his Freshman year.

And when the eff has Tech landed a 5* athlete. Recruiters and programs live and die by the ability of the staff to establish relationships with SAs. What you're trying to talk about are the 1% of kids who actually MIGHT make it to the NFL and conveniently ignore the 99% of SAs that make up college rosters. It's not a matter of what happened 13-15 years ago it's a matter of how the SAs relate to the coach that is recruiting him. SAs commit to a coach in the VAST majority of cases. Why do you think PJ and other coaches tell these young men to commit to a school rather than a coach as that coach might not be there for the SAs time at school? If you don't believe me reach out to @flea77 or @Coachbraun72 . Oh and IF your friend and his son are in contact with agents he has forfeited his NCAA eligibility and if you don't relay that to his coaches and the NCAA you are complicit in the shady side of recruiting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Question for the "We need to keep Roof for his recruiting" crowd:

So if Roof should be kept for his recruiting, don't you see the problem if you blame the kids for not being good enough on game days? Can't have it both ways. The SAs that are getting blamed for not being good enough on game days are the exact same kids Roof recruited and being used as the reason he shouldn't be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.