Roof Out as DC

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well I can’t wait till all the Roof lovers, who think he’s the absolute best for GT and no one could do better see our D be better. This is my opinion, coming from an ex head football coaches son who coached D and won a state championship. (High school) I do wish Roof the best though, from what I’ve heard he was a good guy, and I have no hard feelings at all.

See, this is the issue that keeps coming up. I was a Roof supporter, but I never said he was the absolute best and that no one could do better. I just think that changing coaches very rarely solves problems. Most times, there are systemic problems when multiple coaches keep failing. I'd rather we focused on the systemic problems rather than the coach is all.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I'm seeing a lot more that Woody is the guy. The App State bowl game is tomorrow, so I'd imagine that we'll find out Sunday morning if this is the case. Wouldn't make any sense to sit on announcing the hire since the Early Signing Period is over.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm seeing a lot more that Woody is the guy. The App State bowl game is tomorrow, so I'd imagine that we'll find out Sunday morning if this is the case. Wouldn't make any sense to sit on announcing the hire since the Early Signing Period is over.
wait, where else you seeing it?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The Swillings, for starters. Now, I am not happy with the D performance, but he was progressing in the right direction, and we've now thrown all that out to start completely over. Hopefully the new guy can keep it going.
How was he progressing though? One year we are 62nd then 94th the next year and then 66th the next in FEI. That’s just flucation imo. We were literally our best by those numbers 3 years ago. And the swillings were family friends and their dad played at GT. There really isn’t many kids he recruited that were the big time players. CAM is normally the guy that gets those. But we both have opinions we just see it differently. We both want the same thing and that’s a good D.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
See, this is the issue that keeps coming up. I was a Roof supporter, but I never said he was the absolute best and that no one could do better. I just think that changing coaches very rarely solves problems. Most times, there are systemic problems when multiple coaches keep failing. I'd rather we focused on the systemic problems rather than the coach is all.
Yea, you haven’t been as bad as others in this case. And I agree with the systematic part to an extent. Only thing is, I haven’t seen Roof be this amazing D coordinator at other stops. I do like the guy though, so that’s not a hit at him, JMO.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How was he progressing though? One year we are 62nd then 94th the next year and then 66th the next in FEI. That’s just flucation imo. We were literally our best by those numbers 3 years ago. And the swillings were family friends and their dad played at GT. There really isn’t many kids he recruited that were the big time players. CAM is normally the guy that gets those. But we both have opinions we just see it differently. We both want the same thing and that’s a good D.

Statistically, we made strong improvements in several categories. Third down conversion % specifically. We were making strides until the Duke game.

As for the Swillings, Roof is the reason they are here. Legacy doesn't mean much these days. BJS was getting the full court press from LSU and the SEC, but chose GT because of Roof. TK Chimedza said Roof was why he committed to GT this year. Roof is a great recruiter, and a decent DC. We'll just hope the new guy transitions smoothly now.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Don't understand the Charles kelly love. Didn't do well as interim D.C. Did we even offer him then? He has been awful at fsu with double the talent. I'd rather hire me. I'm an architect but I think I could do better than Charles Kelly.

Awful? Top 25 D every yr. Low for FSU maybe, but far from awful. CPJ wanted to keep him after the performances vs. FSU in the ACCCG and USC in the Sun Bowl, but we were strapped for cash and FSU offered more.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
wait, where else you seeing it?
Seeing it on reddit and twitter a bit, but it could just be people jumping to conclusions. One of the folks who kind of confidently made the claim deleted their comment when people started asking questions, so it looks suspicious. Though I'm taking everything with a grain of salt, since everyone claims to be an insider. I would just say if we hear nothing by Monday, it's probably not happening. You want a DC in as soon as possible as damage control for recruiting and to start establishing a plan.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't how anyone could say Roof was any good. Hell when has he been good?

Anyway I'm glad BJS & Hendersons talent won't be wasted like it was this season. If it is Woody, the linebackers in his system shine.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agree, I approve of Nate Stimson as well..!
And let him bring Matt Uremovich with him...
Whomever we choose, they need to bring some serious nasty and flat FILTHY attitudes with them!!!
We need a rude, ugly, belligerent, animalistic attitude instilled into our squad

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure that Nate Stimson would never work with CPJ.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Statistically, we made strong improvements in several categories. Third down conversion % specifically. We were making strides until the Duke game.

As for the Swillings, Roof is the reason they are here. Legacy doesn't mean much these days. BJS was getting the full court press from LSU and the SEC, but chose GT because of Roof. TK Chimedza said Roof was why he committed to GT this year. Roof is a great recruiter, and a decent DC. We'll just hope the new guy transitions smoothly now.

I'm pretty sure the Swillings father had more influence on them that Roof in signing with GT.

TK's parents like that 40 year plan.

Not really concerned.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I am a fan of Ted Roof. I can understand some fans not liking his style of defense or the performance of our defense over his tenure. I don't understand the disrespect and level of almost hatred many have exhibited toward this man. It's a sad statement on modern day society and the poisonous nature of social media. Ted gave his best and that is all anyone can give. Georgia Tech will be fine and Ted Roof will be fine. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Go Jackets!

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
See, this is the issue that keeps coming u

Screen passes and 2 minute defense though. Coach Mac has been our best recruiter.