Roof Out as DC

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
While our coaches recruit by geographic area, Roof did have one of the most talent laden areas in the nation as his territory. And though he is recruiting for all positions in his territory, how many of our potential D starters are from Gwinnett? One, that I can think of.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm watching the national championship and thinking dang I wish we had those type of athletes! We'll never have them however because of the calculus requirement among other things so we depend on guys like Roof who understand that. Yeah we may make it a couple of years on the latest Roof recruits but it won't be enough. Paul won't survive the drop we are about to have. We'll be stuck in the perverbial mire for years to come. Oh well some of y'all got what you wanted.

I'm watching the national championship and thinking dang I wish we had those type of athletes! We'll never have them however because of the calculus requirement among other things so we depend on guys like Roof who understand that. Yeah we may make it a couple of years on the latest Roof recruits but it won't be enough. Paul won't survive the drop we are about to have. We'll be stuck in the perverbial mire for years to come. Oh well some of y'all got what you wanted.
I don't know what his recruiting skills actually were, but IMO he just wasn't a very good DC, and I realized that when he had the same position under O'Leary.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’ll ask this again, what’s it matter how good the recruiting is if they are underperforming? CPJ does more with less on offense, I’d much rather do that on D as well. More with less>less with more. JMO for what it’s worth.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
You seem to understand the issues are related to factors that the head coach can't control. I'm surprised you fail to realize that CPJ coaches circles around CTR. I'd put my $$ on Paul to survive & right the ship instead of Roof!

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
You seem to understand the issues are related to factors that the head coach can't control. I'm surprised you fail to realize that CPJ coaches circles around CTR. I'd put my $$ on Paul to survive & right the ship instead of Roof!
Great, I love him too but he's treading water. I'm surprised he sacrificed Roof who was his best hope to survive!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Great, I love him too but he's treading water. I'm surprised he sacrificed Roof who was his best hope to survive!
Serious question? How was Roof his best chance to survive? And go beyond recruiting, because recruiting means nothing if they aren’t performing on the field.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Serious question? How was Roof his best chance to survive? And go beyond recruiting, because recruiting means nothing if they aren’t performing on the field.
GT is at a serious disadvantage obviously because of academics. Paul and the triple option offense is the best chance we have to be successful offensively. On defense it's about athletes. Nobody is going to be successful with recruiting classes in the fifties and sixties. You can't coach speed! I've watched coaches come and go. Ted was the best chance we had to recruit at a level where we could compete. Because of pressure Paul fired him. Maybe Paul will be able to make his money out of the situation but it's a calculated risk. I believe he appeased the powers that be to save himself for another year maybe two but I don't see him making it more than two years. I'd really like to be wrong but experience tells me otherwise.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
GT is at a serious disadvantage obviously because of academics. Paul and the triple option offense is the best chance we have to be successful offensively. On defense it's about athletes. Nobody is going to be successful with recruiting classes in the fifties and sixties. You can't coach speed! I've watched coaches come and go. Ted was the best chance we had to recruit at a level where we could compete. Because of pressure Paul fired him. Maybe Paul will be able to make his money out of the situation but it's a calculated risk. I believe he appeased the powers that be to save himself for another year maybe two but I don't see him making it more than two years. I'd really like to be wrong but experience tells me otherwise.
I just don’t think the talent level matters much when the on field play isn’t matching the recruiting. And to say nobody will be successful with recruiting classes in the 50’s and 60’s just isn’t true, although we recruit in the 40’s normally. Duke, Wake Forest, Boston college, Colorado, Iowa, Washington State, NC state, and Virginia are just some of the teams we recruit on par with or close to, that have all broken the top 50 is D FEI, but we haven’t even broken 60. Just like we run the option with CPJ and the talent level is offset some because of it, you can do the same on D. Probably not to the extent of our offense, but you can still do more with less and we have done less with more imo. Why do you think these other teams have done better than GT on D or how about App State against other power 5 schools, they have held 3 of the 4 teams (Auburn, UT, UGA, and Clemson) to lower than their season average on yards per game and points. But we want the same thing and that’s fielding a good team. So hopefully, even with the change, we get that in the near future.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You don't find a guy like 78 on UGA in AP Calculus!
That doesn’t answer my question though, what proof do you have to back up your statements? The D has underperformed imo, so who cares how good our recruiting is or isn’t if they aren’t performing on the field.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
That doesn’t answer my question though, what proof do you have to back up your statements? The D has underperformed imo, so who cares how good our recruiting is or isn’t if they aren’t performing on the field.
I'll use every season since 1990 to answer that. I rest my case.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'll use every season since 1990 to answer that. I rest my case.
That doesn’t prove that Roof was the best thing for GT, how does that make any sense? You haven’t brought one fact. I can prove to
you with stats that our D has underperformed for what their recruiting rankings would indicate. I can also prove that its possible and does happen to do more with less on D if we are going to go by recruiting rankings.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
That doesn’t prove that Roof was the best thing for GT, how does that make any sense? You haven’t brought one fact. I can prove to
you with stats that our D has underperformed for what their recruiting rankings would indicate. I can also prove that its possible and does happen to do more with less on D if we are going to go by recruiting rankings.
Talk to me in two years!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Talk to me in two years!
See you are just going off a feeling, which I’m perfectly fine with, we all have our opinions. However, you are acting as if it’s more than a feeling with absolutely no facts to back yourself up. That’s why, when I ask for proof you give me an answer of talk to me in two years, because it’s just a feeling with no proof. Let me ask you this, if GT brakes out of the 60’s in FEI what will you say? Because that has never been done under Roof at GT. That’s nothing against Roof, I don’t mind the guy at all and I think he is a class act. I’m just curious to what you will say if our D in year 1 under Woody outperforms all 5 years under Roof?