Roof Out as DC

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
its relative. We have 2-3 guys right now on tech that fit what woody does at nose to a T. I think/hope we will be pleasantly surprised at how different our DL looks when they are asked to attack one spot as hard as they can.
I hope you’re right about that. I will say that I am optimistic about this move. I hope the dude can recruit too.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm watching the national championship and thinking dang I wish we had those type of athletes! We'll never have them however because of the calculus requirement among other things so we depend on guys like Roof who understand that. Yeah we may make it a couple of years on the latest Roof recruits but it won't be enough. Paul won't survive the drop we are about to have. We'll be stuck in the perverbial mire for years to come. Oh well some of y'all got what you wanted.

I wasn’t on the fire Roof bandwagon but your take here is probably more baseless than the Roof haters criticisms.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
its relative. We have 2-3 guys right now on tech that fit what woody does at nose to a T. I think/hope we will be pleasantly surprised at how different our DL looks when they are asked to attack one spot as hard as they can.

Not at all proven yet. Spring should help tell the tale.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just looked up this article written by Woody. Here he describes what he looks for in a nose. Do you still think our guys "fit it to a T?"

"Our nose aligns over the center. This is the one defensive lineman that size matters to us. We still want good feet and lateral quickness but he will be doubled by the center and guard on the majority of plays. He must maintain his gap integrity without being knocked off the line of scrimmage. He must be quick enough to penetrate into our opponent's backfield if he gets a reach block from the center or scoop block from the guard. Our nose may be the most critical position in our defense. Finding a bigger guy that can still move quickly and with good balance is the hardest player for us to recruit. In an even front you need two of those guys. In an odd front you just need one of those guys on the field. Eight of the last eleven years we've had an All-Conference nose with several of those gaining All-American honors. Jack Teachey coaches our Defensive Line and has coached sixteen All-Conference defensive linemen in the last eleven years with six All-Americans."

http://buyersguide.coachesdirectory.com/article/woffords-3-4-defense.html

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm watching the national championship and thinking dang I wish we had those type of athletes! We'll never have them however because of the calculus requirement among other things so we depend on guys like Roof who understand that. Yeah we may make it a couple of years on the latest Roof recruits but it won't be enough. Paul won't survive the drop we are about to have. We'll be stuck in the perverbial mire for years to come. Oh well some of y'all got what you wanted.

Yeah, we are really going to miss Roof, all his recruits and his defense, which did not produce a single player on the All ACC team this year (including HM) and only a single HM each for 2016 and 2015 (you know, with his recruits). I expect a huge drop off from the below average defense and horrible defensive stats in tackles for loss, sacks, turnovers, yards per play and points per possession that we got from Roof's defense year in and year out. What I will really miss is the piss poor fundamentals and terrible technique in rushing the passer, tackling, pursuit angles, run support, and ball hawking. I am not sure how GT and CPJ will survive without Ted.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I was right preseason roof predictions.
I was right about roof in general.
Eat your crow and move on.

Now you are grasping at 2 year straws knowing thats when pauls contract is basically over. Quite a convenient selection in timing and funny as heck actually. If paul gets fired, it won't be because roof is not here, and I am fairly certain the new DC won't be any worse than roof by year 2 anyway.

Whats even sillier, is roof, this great asset to the program, was here a half a decade yet still couldn't crack the top 60 or so in fei, recruiting classes are about the same they have always been. Yet, somehow you tie the success of this program to this one guy like he mattered when 5 years of data suggest he doesn't at all.

Here is what the deal is. GT is a tough place to recruit to. Period. No assistant is going to fix that. Nor any head coach; its a program hurdle. So the only way to be successful here is run good systems on O and D. We have one on O. We need one on D that fits tech; may be we finally got one that at least produces to par of what the general talent level seems to be.
No the way to fix it is putting us on a level playing field with the programs that have a chance to win a championship by removing our inheirant recruiting disadvantage. No scheme change will make us competitive year in and year out.

You have a tremendously over exaggerated high opinion of yourself for someone who has never done anything on a competitive coaching level, but that's what these anonymous boards are for I guess.

Anyone who has any knowledge of football can look at those two teams last night and see the talent difference between us and them and it won't get any better. Just like the former AD said we can only hope to be competitive a year here and a year there in the situation we're in!

Any coordinator who comes in here is only using this job as a stepping stone. That is no way to build a consistent program with our recruiting disadvantage. We give up our best recruiter? Okay I told you before if Paul is that arrogant then it won't be long before he's gone. I don't know when his contract's up but I know he better do something next year and sign that extension because we might have enough to be competitive for 1 or possibly two years. On the other hand we may or may not have a bunch transfer and hit the skids next year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
No the way to fix it is putting us on a level playing field with the programs that have a chance to win a championship by removing our inheirant recruiting disadvantage. No scheme change will make us competitive year in and year out.

You have a tremendously over exaggerated high opinion of yourself for someone who has never done anything on a competitive coaching level, but that's what these anonymous boards are for I guess.

Anyone who has any knowledge of football can look at those two teams last night and see the talent difference between us and them and it won't get any better. Just like the former AD said we can only hope to be competitive a year here and a year there in the situation we're in!

Any coordinator who comes in here is only using this job as a stepping stone. That is no way to build a consistent program with our recruiting disadvantage. We give up our best recruiter? Okay I told you before if Paul is that arrogant then it won't be long before he's gone. I don't know when his contract's up but I know he better do something next year and sign that extension because we might have enough to be competitive for 1 or possibly two years. On the other hand we may or may not have a bunch transfer and hit the skids next year.
Good God man, why are you so negative? I really liked Roof and I was a big supporter of him until this year. This was his year to put up or shut up (since every single player was his) and now it is time to shut up. I got tired of feeling like we were going to lose or give up points right before the half any time that we needed a stop. It got to a point where I was hoping that Roof's defense would do what it is designed to do and only give up a field goal as soon as the other time got the ball. I got tired of seeing no rush and no turnovers which is hopefully something that CNW brings. I feel like CNW will bring an exciting defense that pairs very well with CPJ's O. Also, our best recruiter is CAM and he is still on staff so I am really not concerned about recruiting. We will always be (unless we add another major or two) in the 40s or 50s with or without Roof. We will be fine and I'm more excited about next season now.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I hate to beat a dead horse but I have asked you this multiple times with no answer. What does it matter how good the recruiting is, if the guys are not performing to that level? You also keep making statements that Roof was the best thing for GT but have given no proof when asked (recruiting is not proof) like I said before, we all have opinions and that’s fine, but if you are going to make comments like you have been doing then you should be able to back them up with facts.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
How many of those were his first choice before he was told no because of money?
Woody's in the same boat although I don't know him personally. I'm not opposed to him as a coordinator, in fact I like what I've seen at Appy State. This is not Al Groh's 3-4.

My point is that he's bargain basement also although again he might be the best DC in America. Alot of it is getting the right opportunity and I hope he does a great job.

The problem is in the long run you have to play with the guys you recruit. Roof understands Tech and he had trouble getting guys who could compete at a high level. As I've said many times, the good coaches all know what the other coach knows so it's not about that as much as who we have. We aren't able to recruit at a high enough level to be competitive consistently over a period of time and we never have been able too period. That's why we have a good season and a bad season. We can't beat UGA more than one in a row.

Scheme won't fix it consistently on defense. It may fix it for a game, it may work for a year but players are way more important than scheme.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Good God man, why are you so negative? I really liked Roof and I was a big supporter of him until this year. This was his year to put up or shut up (since every single player was his) and now it is time to shut up. I got tired of feeling like we were going to lose or give up points right before the half any time that we needed a stop. It got to a point where I was hoping that Roof's defense would do what it is designed to do and only give up a field goal as soon as the other time got the ball. I got tired of seeing no rush and no turnovers which is hopefully something that CNW brings. I feel like CNW will bring an exciting defense that pairs very well with CPJ's O. Also, our best recruiter is CAM and he is still on staff so I am really not concerned about recruiting. We will always be (unless we add another major or two) in the 40s or 50s with or without Roof. We will be fine and I'm more excited about next season now.
I hope he does well but he won't fix the GT problem that I've watched since the 1970s.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Woody's in the same boat although I don't know him personally. I'm not opposed to him as a coordinator, in fact I like what I've seen at Appy State. This is not Al Groh's 3-4.

My point is that he's bargain basement also although again he might be the best DC in America. Alot of it is getting the right opportunity and I hope he does a great job.

The problem is in the long run you have to play with the guys you recruit. Roof understands Tech and he had trouble getting guys who could compete at a high level. As I've said many times, the good coaches all know what the other coach knows so it's not about that as much as who we have. We aren't able to recruit at a high enough level to be competitive consistently over a period of time and we never have been able too period. That's why we have a good season and a bad season. We can't beat UGA more than one in a row.

Scheme won't fix it consistently on defense. It may fix it for a game, it may work for a year but players are way more important than scheme.
Players are more important than scheme when you have Bama type players. Only a few schools out of 100’s have that though, so in our case and most every other school, scheme is more important. I’m sorry but there is no way someone can convince me that our talent level is in the 60’s on D. The D hasn’t been up and down with 1 good year every once in a while, they have just been bad. I see no reason why we should be a D consistently in the 40 range, especially when that’s on par with what we recruit. Give me a D around 40 and we could consistently be winning 9 games a year. Earlier in this thread i gave you a list of defenses that have done WAY better than us with the same talent, so how do that do it? It’s either scheme, coaching or both.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Players are more important than scheme when you have Bama type players. Only a few schools out of 100’s have that though, so in our case and most every other school, scheme is more important. I’m sorry but there is no way someone can convince me that our talent level is in the 60’s on D. The D hasn’t been up and down with 1 good year every once in a while, they have just been bad. I see no reason why we should be a D consistently in the 40 range, especially when that’s on par with what we recruit. Give me a D around 40 and we could consistently be winning 9 games a year. Earlier in this thread i gave you a list of defenses that have done WAY better than us with the same talent, so how do that do it? It’s either scheme, coaching or both.
Talk to me in two years!

Cam

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, Woody seemed like a really great guy in his press conference. Really fun person to watch on camera like Andy McCollum. Very funny and high energy. That coupled with running a "fun" defense should bode well for recruiting. Now, does Woody have Ted's recruiting connections? Hell no. That's a big reason why NC State hired Roof, for the inroads he developed in Gwinett and Atlanta. But am I worried about Woody's ability to connect with recruits and sell our product? Not at all. Perhaps the relationships with areas and schools Roof helped us establish will survive (and I think for the most part they will). Though time will tell.