Roof Out as DC

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why did he have more talent? The recruiting rankings were significantly worse.

Recruiting services were in the nascent stages in the late 90's and early 2000's. I wouldn't put too much credence in them, though I wouldn't dismiss them either if that makes any sense.

Gailey, for all his faults, had some highly rated classes in retrospective recruiting rankings. I think 3 of his recruiting classes ended up being top 15 classes with 2 classes in the top 10 in retrospective rankings.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Recruiting services were in the nascent stages in the late 90's and early 2000's. I wouldn't put too much credence in them, though I wouldn't dismiss them either if that makes any sense.

Gailey, for all his faults, had some highly rated classes in retrospective recruiting rankings. I think 3 of his recruiting classes ended up being top 15 classes with 2 classes in the top 10 in retrospective rankings.
I think there's something to what you're saying.
How about this metric: How many NFL'ers did we get out of the defensive rosters from those eras? My guess is it would be pretty comparable. BUT, there is a flaw in that analysis because it could be that a better scheme helped a guy shine and get a shot at the NFL where the inferior scheme did not. So, I'm not sure that analysis would be worth the trouble.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why did he have more talent? The recruiting rankings were significantly worse.

I think the recruiting rankings have come a long way, and they are much closer to correct these days as compared to 10-15 yrs ago. With that said, I don't think he had unbelievable talent and depth. When he faced really good O lines with an accurate passer (like Matt Ryan), his D got beat too.

He had guys like Guyton, Wheeler, Johnson, Walker, Richard, Anoai, Henderson, Robertson etc. that could really get after the passer. In the past few years, we haven't had top notch LB's or DE's that could could bring the heat and get off blocks frequently, in my opinion. Under Roof, although not enough for most of our fans, we have run stunts and tricks and still not gotten close to the QB much of the time. If this happens with our new DC, we better be extremely good on the back end, b/c those guys will be on an island.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think the recruiting rankings have come a long way, and they are much closer to correct these days as compared to 10-15 yrs ago. With that said, I don't think he had unbelievable talent and depth. When he faced really good O lines with an accurate passer (like Matt Ryan), his D got beat too.

He had guys like Guyton, Wheeler, Johnson, Walker, Richard, Anoai, Henderson, Robertson etc. that could really get after the passer. In the past few years, we haven't had top notch LB's or DE's that could could bring the heat and get off blocks frequently, in my opinion. Under Roof, although not enough for most of our fans, we have run stunts and tricks and still not gotten close to the QB much of the time. If this happens with our new DC, we better be extremely good on the back end, b/c those guys will be on an island.
Not all blitzes are created equal, kind of like not all option offensive plays are created equal. Some teams may run an option play as a change-up. That option play won't be very sophisticated and won't have multiple versions and calls to deal with what the defense is doing because it's just something to surprise the defense with. Our offense is built on the option and builds everything around it. Our option is extremely sophisticated with all kinds of variations and calls to deal with what the defense is doing. It's the same with blitz and pressure defensive play. Some teams use blitzes to surprise the offense. Other teams build their defense on pressure and the blitz (a non-pressure would be the surprise). The sophistication, variations, and calls would be at a much higher level with the team whose philosophy is built on pressure.

slugboy

Staff member

I think they had more fun, and were taught to be hitters.

I can’t get FEI stats back past 2007, but I can find S&P defense back to 2005. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef2005
Those dropped from 23 down to 49 in 2007. We were 70 in FEI his last year (2007). My recollection was that the defense was solid, but I wonder if it’s less good than I remember. He didn’t do much at ND afterwards
That BC game with Ryan was hard fought, and had a ton of holding that BC got away with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think they had more fun, and were taught to be hitters.

I can’t get FEI stats back past 2007, but I can find S&P defense back to 2005. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef2005
Those dropped from 23 down to 49 in 2007. We were 70 in FEI his last year (2007). My recollection was that the defense was solid, but I wonder if it’s less good than I remember. He didn’t do much at ND afterwards
That BC game with Ryan was hard fought, and had a ton of holding that BC got away with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That infamous BC game, they only scored 24 points.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like to say something.

1 - I was very active to make sure he was gone. Very active. Almost a campaign.

2 - Ted is a good guy but a mediocre at best coach. Paul had enough 2 years ago and this year was the budget contract run out.

3 - Preseason, I argued with @PBR549 he would be gone this year. That no matter what he isn't a good coach and paul would make the call. We can say he joined another staff. We can talk about the go find another job discussion. Bottom line Yes I am happy and xmas is early

its funny denial about roof still exists with some of our fans. LOL. Dude was pushed along. Not left for a bigger role. You would leave your alma mater to go be a co-coord at NC state as the 10th coach and a likely pay cut. Ya'll are funny. Other coaches will be gone too. Thats called a house cleaning.

Finally. The next DC choice is interesting. and frankly, paul track record is not good. This worries the HECK out of me. So fingers crossed.
Talk to me in two years when Paul's getting fired.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Oh ****ing PLEASE yes! All I want once in my life is to see Paul Johnson's offense paired up with a hyper aggressive attacking defense with high major athletes.

Again and again and again and again defenses at Georgia Tech have been passive read and react flow and pursue defenses.

Just for once I want to see what it looks like to have an offense and defense that puts a ton of pressure on the other Squad.

Woody runs an attacking slant 50, which is somewhat akin to **** lebeau's old twisting stunting attacking Pittsburgh defenses. This is not Al grohs catch and shed 3/4.
I am still pleased about this development.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Talk to me in two years. Roof was the best thing we had going in recruiting. If Paul lasts more than two years he's Houdini.
If we’re talking recruiting then the fall off from roof won’t manifest for at least two years. I fail to see how your argument makes sense.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Talk to me in two years. Roof was the best thing we had going in recruiting. If Paul lasts more than two years he's Houdini.
What’s it matter how good our recruiting is if they are underperforming to that level of recruiting? I’d rather do more with less that less with more.

If Woody brakes Roofs best year on D at GT what will you say?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
He recruited better than the other yahoos on our staff. But that's like saying you're the smartest waiter working at your Applebees.
Wow. I didn’t realize our coaching staff was made up of nothing but Ted Roof and a bunch of yahoos. Now that Coach Roof is gone, we may never win another game.

Seriously, I have all the respect in the world for Coach Roof as a person and wish him well. However, we have a new defensive coordinator so it’s time to move on and get excited about what he may do with the defense next year and years to come. However, there are several members of this board that want to do nothing but stay stuck in their past whining and complaining and complain about the staff that we have going into next year, throwing out personal insults ( this last comment is not directed at you Milwaukee, but some of the other people on here that seem happiest when they’re not happy).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
lock it up.jpg