Roof Out as DC

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Writing was on the wall for Roof's departure. I'm not surprised. I hate seeing a great man and GaTech guy through and through depart in the way he did with the amount of animosity that fans of his own alma mater held for him. At the same time, if things end up the way I think they will, I think we will be improved on the defensive side of the ball. All said, I believe next year will be a very good year for Georgia Tech football

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Apologies for being incredibly busy this Christmas season - I've just now had time to check the site and this is the first post I saw myself tagged in. I'll quote it for you:

I stand by what I said previously. I have personally talked with numerous people involved in the recruiting process, and have been told that Ted Roof and Andy McCollum are the best recruiters they have ever met, specifically citing them two. Several defensive recruits would not be at Georgia Tech today were it not for Ted Roof's efforts. To devalue his efforts is disingenuous at best, and willfully ignorant at worst
Thank you, my main issue was no one was giving proof, showing me guys he’s recruited ect. This still isn’t hard evidence imo, but atleast you have spoken to people in the know and got this answer. I guess I just like hard evidence, stuff like McCollum has show with proof of guys he was the main recruiter on. However, I’ll admit you telling me this makes me believe Roof is a better recruiter than what I thought. I guess I also have an issue with not seeing the great recruiting produce on the field, but that wouldn’t be fair to compare his coaching to his recruiting because they are two completely different things. I would still need more evidence to say he’s a great recruiter (not sure if that’s what you are even saying)

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
We could have been a lot worse on D, and now we just lost a great recruiter.

But we'll hire an "up and comer," which is a fancy way of saying a young guy who hasn't proved himself at this level yet, and we'll hope that he is up to the task. One of two things will happen, either he'll fail, and the fan base will treat him as crappily as they treated Roof, or he'll succeed, and within a couple of years a bigger school will poach him.

Either way, we will be looking for a new DC in a few years, so yeah, Merry Christmas GT...
For what it's worth, I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it out to be. We'll be fine, and actually I think there's a good chance we'll be more improved defensively with this new coach next year. I really like Coach Roof, and was not one that wanted him to leave either, but this might turn out to be a good thing in the end. Regardless, best of luck to Ted in his new position

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Thank you, my main issue was no one was giving proof, showing me guys he’s recruited ect. This still isn’t hard evidence imo, but atleast you have spoken to people in the know and got this answer. I guess I just like hard evidence, stuff like McCollum has show with proof of guys he was the main recruiter on. However, I’ll admit you telling me this makes me believe Roof is a better recruiter than what I thought. I guess I also have an issue with not seeing the great recruiting produce on the field, but that wouldn’t be fair to compare his coaching to his recruiting because they are two completely different things. I would still need more evidence to say he’s a great recruiter (not sure if that’s what you are even saying)
I'm not sure what kind of hard evidence you're looking for, and the type of hard evidence that Coach Andy McCollum apparently has. If you clarify this, I might be able to provide it. And for the record, I am 100% saying that Coach Roof is a great recruiter; in fact, you could quote me in saying that Coach Roof is an excellent recruiter

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Again. You're going to ignore the fact that GT only allowed 2 sustained drives against UVA in 18 tries? You're going to ignore the 11 stops out of 18 tries? You're going to ignore the Pick 6 and the fumble recovery? You're going to ignore the third down conversion wins we had?

Instead, you're going to focus on the fact that we allowed 17 points on short fields where our D did their level best to make chicken salad out of the chicken %^$@ that the O and ST gave them.

But, yeah. Let's blame the D when clearly anything but pitching a shutout is going to be their fault.

You seem to be missing the idea that there is a space between blaming the defense for a loss, and saying they played lights out.

Have I, anywhere in this thread, blamed the defense for the UVA lost?

Have I, anywhere in this thread, defended the offenses performance against UVA?

You're reading what you think I mean, as opposed to what I am actually saying.

You use the phrase lights out. Appalachian State's defense played lights out last night. Against UVA, Georgia Tech's defense played all right. They played well enough to win the game if the offense hadn't played poorly.

They did not play Lights Out.

Now I'm going to project a little bit: when your defense is so bad that playing all right feels like playing lights out, your expectations have been lowered to an unhealthy degree.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For what it's worth, I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it out to be. We'll be fine, and actually I think there's a good chance we'll be more improved defensively with this new coach next year. I really like Coach Roof, and was not one that wanted him to leave either, but this might turn out to be a good thing in the end. Regardless, best of luck to Ted in his new position

I never said it was dire, I just said it won't be any different. We'll either hire another DC who won't do well and we'll then let him go, or we will hire a young DC who will succeed, be poached away from us, and we will start all over again. I would rather have some stability as I believe that's better long term.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You seem to be missing the idea that there is a space between blaming the defense for a loss, and saying they played lights out.

Have I, anywhere in this thread, blamed the defense for the UVA lost?

Have I, anywhere in this thread, defended the offenses performance against UVA?

You're reading what you think I mean, as opposed to what I am actually saying.

You use the phrase lights out. Appalachian State's defense played lights out last night. Against UVA, Georgia Tech's defense played all right. They played well enough to win the game if the offense hadn't played poorly.

They did not play Lights Out.

Now I'm going to project a little bit: when your defense is so bad that playing all right feels like playing lights out, your expectations have been lowered to an unhealthy degree.

If not "lights out", they played amazingly well. They did everything they could have been asked to do with the exception of two drives.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what kind of hard evidence you're looking for, and the type of hard evidence that Coach Andy McCollum apparently has. If you clarify this, I might be able to provide it. And for the record, I am 100% saying that Coach Roof is a great recruiter; in fact, you could quote me in saying that Coach Roof is an excellent recruiter
When I look at the top guys in a class that have committed, most are from CAM (correct me if I’m wrong?) guys that he was the main recruiter on. So who has Roof gotten that he was the main recruiter on? I know the Swillings. Also if he’s such a great recruiter why weren't we seeing him land bigger recruits more often? Im not doubting you, these are serious questions I’m just wondering about. it’s just hard for me to see him as a great recruiter but not see great on field production, but like I said it’s not fair to compare the on field stuff with recruiting because they are completely different. Thanks for the info by the way.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I never said it was dire, I just said it won't be any different. We'll either hire another DC who won't do well and we'll then let him go, or we will hire a young DC who will succeed, be poached away from us, and we will start all over again. I would rather have some stability as I believe that's better long term.
What does stability matter though? I’d rather be in the 40’s to 50’s on D every year and change DC’s every few years than have the same DC and never brake the 60’s. Saying we want stability and the stability isn’t braking a top 60 D is setteling for less imo.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The posters on the Appalachian State message board sound like they believe Coach Woody is coming to GT and they're down in the mouth about it.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Well, if the Woody rumors are true, he isn't exactly young. He's 56 years old. Though that didn't stop Don Brown from being poached from Boston College at age 60. Either way, I think we just need to provide the best environment for the new DC to thrive. If someone else offers to double their salary after they succeed, then so be it. But I'd rather do that than accept the same lackluster results each year. Let's just keep optimistic.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If not "lights out", they played amazingly well. They did everything they could have been asked to do with the exception of two drives.
You and I have significantly different definitions of what constitutes playing amazingly well.

If a defense gives up two long sustained touchdown drives (especially to an offense like UVA) they didn't play amazingly well.

Two long touchdown drives is an automatic disqualifier from the status of amazing.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
For me with Roof this year, was not the quantity of yards given up, but when the yards were given up. We're 3 and outing teams left and right, and then go uber conservative in the last 2 minutes of each half. And we didn't do well at it. We finally get a little aggressive with the corners, and it seemed like they held their own.

And if you're going to be blitz heavy, you've almost got to hold your corners a little back or you'll really get burned if someone gets to the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense. We did this with Tenuta too.

Roof was a good recruiter, no doubt. He got us back into the picture in Gwinnett, and also got us back into Louisiana. Louisiana was a good place for us with O'Leary, and we sort of went away from there under Gailey and early CPJ. And it will be interesting to see how he improves NC State recruiting in GA. They already pull a fair number, but I could see an increase.

I'm interested, but a little nervous about the 3-4 set up. It's closer to 3 DTs on the field and 2 undersized (or full sized hopefully!) but extremely athletic DEs at OLB. I think Branch is a good fit as a 3-4 DE, and Adams could be good at NT. Glanton probably also would be good at DE. I'm not completely sure we've got the guys at OLB. I'll be interested to see whether Anree can execute the pass coverage assignments. I'll be interested to see how BJS plays in this set up. He could be the other OLB.

And I don't know where this puts Cortez Alston. I'm hoping he doesn't get stuck kind of like Anthony Williams as a 4-3 DE in a 3-4 defense.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
My unconventional preference: Take a look at guys in the CFL, even head coaches doing double-duty as GMs; chances are good that they don't make the $$$ that Roof made as DC. Plenty of CFL coaches have roots in American football, and they're accustomed to dealing with wide-open offenses. One guy I'd really like for Stansbury and CPJ to look at is Chris Jones, currently HC of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, even though his contract was recently extended through 2019. He has a reputation for aggressive defenses, exotic blitzes, he has Tennessee roots and is quite familiar with American football.
A CFL HC would leave to take to take a 1-A coordinator position? Can't see that happening.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A CFL HC would leave to take to take a 1-A coordinator position? Can't see that happening.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility, but I think you are correct. I think the likely hindrance would be the money. Not sure what a CFL HC makes, but if it's in the millions at all we can't afford him as a coordinator here.

FWIW, our first ST coach under CPJ came from the CFL, though admittedly not a HC.