Roof Out as DC

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not true, pre snap movement, stunts, slants, blitz with LB’s are all things you can do to maximize a players ability. The key is to confuse the OL with these things which will allow more free running guys on the DL. If they aren’t sure who they are blocking how is that not scheming around your DL?
I’ll take physical superiority thank you very much.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I think the guys we have recruited actually make a 3-4 sound pretty intriguing... Dingle and Brant are tailor made to be inside of a 3-4, with guys like ASA, and maybe Kaleb Oliver on the outside...could be really interesting if we get a guy that runs an attacking 3-4.
It'll be hilarious when we don't end up hiring Woody, but for speculation's sake here is App State's depth chart for their front 7 from the 2015 season when they had arguably their best defense:
https://247sports.com/college/appal...-State-releases-official-depth-chart-39053166

DE - Ronald Blair (6-2 284) - height and weight changed to combine results
NT - Tyson Fernandez (6-2 320)
DE - Nathaniel Norwood (6-2 240)
OLB - Kennan Gilchrist (6-2 210)
ILB - John Law (6-0 230)
ILB - Eric Boggs (6-3 235)
OLB - Devan Stringer (5-11 195)

Out of that list, only Ronald Blair was drafted (6th round, Sun Belt defensive player of the year). Blair was also 2 inches shorter at the combine than it lists on this depth chart, so keep that in mind for the other measurements. The person who took over for Blair (Antonio Sims) had similar measurables and recorded 9.5 sacks in 10 games (7 last year) before being injured this season. Brandon Adams seems natural to fit the NT spot and we have plenty of players recruited last year that fill in nicely to Stringer's position. Boggs has been the leading tackler for 3 straight seasons with 299 total tackles and it's not even close. That should be the centerpiece. I think we have the personnel to run this. Potentially, we could have Branch-Adams-ASA for DL and BJS-Alexander-Mitchell-Curry for LB.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I think the guys we have recruited actually make a 3-4 sound pretty intriguing... Dingle and Brant are tailor made to be inside of a 3-4, with guys like ASA, and maybe Kaleb Oliver on the outside...could be really interesting if we get a guy that runs an attacking 3-4.

Isn't this what Groh tried to implement? I will defer to others who know more about this, but doesn't this defense demand you have the rarest player in football, the NT who can shut everything down in the middle? If I recall correctly, the results when we ran the 3-4 we're not exactly stellar

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
It'll be hilarious when we don't end up hiring Woody, but for speculation's sake here is App State's depth chart for their front 7 from the 2015 season when they had arguably their best defense:
https://247sports.com/college/appal...-State-releases-official-depth-chart-39053166

ILB - John Law (6-0 230)

Out of that list, only Ronald Blair was drafted (6th round, Sun Belt defensive player of the year). Blair was also 2 inches shorter at the combine than it lists on this depth chart, so keep that in mind for the other measurements. The person who took over for Blair (Antonio Sims) had similar measurables and recorded 9.5 sacks in 10 games (7 last year) before being injured this season. Brandon Adams seems natural to fit the NT spot and we have plenty of players recruited last year that fill in nicely to Stringer's position. Boggs has been the leading tackler for 3 straight seasons with 299 total tackles and it's not even close. That should be the centerpiece. I think we have the personnel to run this. Potentially, we could have Branch-Adams-ASA for DL and BJS-Alexander-Mitchell-Curry for LB.
I’m thinking more for the future, how does this sound?
WDE-TK
Nose-Adams
SDE- Austin Smith
LOLB-ASA
MLB-Bruce
MLB-Dingle
ROLB- Kaleb Oliver

That’s a nasty lineup with size and speed IMO, of course you could mix up some speed packages where you drop ASA and Luke Johns on to the line and have KO, And Jaquan Henderson speed rush...idk, fun to think about.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ coaches at GT another 7-10 years and with Tstan, added staff, better facilities ect, and if we can get to a top 25-30 recruiting class on a consistent basis because of these added things. IMO we will be making multiple more appearances in the ACCCG, top 25 team consistently, and a chance at the playoffs, especially if they make it 8 teams.

CPJ isn’t going to coach ten more years. He’s going to finish out the current contract and retire. He has said as much.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Isn't this what Groh tried to implement? I will defer to others who know more about this, but doesn't this defense demand you have the rarest player in football, the NT who can shut everything down in the middle? If I recall correctly, the results when we ran the 3-4 we're not exactly stellar

Not quite. They both run a 3-4 but... Ted Roof:bud foster::Al groh:Nate Woody.

The alignment is about all they have in common.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

ILB - John Law (6-0 230)

I would expect Georgia Tech to be bigger than App State, while having the same speed. My guess is that ASA is an outside linebacker.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Do I understand correctly that the NT is the key to the defense? Do we have anyone that can play it?
I mean, a nt matters, but not as much as in a r/r 34. It's not the central lynchpin position.

That said, yes, you do, actually. Adams is about as pure a nose as you get. He's probably not quite as quick, but he reminds me a lot of Fat Casey Hampton.

But, for a guy like Woody, the nose guard isn't nearly as important as for a guy like groh. Woody's defense is much more high risk and reward, so he throws a lot of guys at the line of scrimmage.

slugboy

Staff member
Regarding DL scheming, and the debate about 1-gap vs 2-gap, here’s an old Chris Brown article about Pete Carroll doing both at the same time in a 4-3 under: http://grantland.com/features/whos-laughing-now/
Yeah, it’s off topic, but it’s an example of how a smart coach can make the most out of their players. And I think Seattle will be back in the playoffs next year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
Most importantly, they kept UT to 13 pts in regulation...against a team with an NFL QB, RB,and WR.

If we got one more stop against UT, UM, and a few others, our season would look a lot better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Awful? Top 25 D every yr. Low for FSU maybe, but far from awful. CPJ wanted to keep him after the performances vs. FSU in the ACCCG and USC in the Sun Bowl, but we were strapped for cash and FSU offered more.

I don't think Kelly is a bad coach. Don't think Roof is either. But perceptions play big imo and a fresh face is needed imo. If our D struggles under Kelly.....you know what the all knowledgeable complainers will say.

Gotta be a new face imo.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, I did not see this one coming. I thought Roof would stay and we would continue on with the staff in place for another year at least. Now that I have had time to digest this a bit here is what I hope happens. If I were CPJ, I would move CAM to special teams coach/recruiting coordinator. I would bring in a DC that had no previous alignment with GT and allow him to hand pick his staff to bring with him. I would also begin to change out the offensive staff and move Owens and Sewak out at minimum. I would totally turn the staff over within the next 24 months. Continuity of staff which was touted as a plus at Tech has really turned into an up and down lack of consistency. You might as well look at 2018 as a transition year with a .500 season being probably our most likely outcome. Use that time to install a new defensive system and to begin to tweak the offense. We have to develop some ability to throw the ball if we want our standard run offense to work at some level of peak efficiency.

Look for a few of the players tied to Roof to move on. We need to play more people and develop more depth. We can not continue to just play the first string and shun the other players on the team. It hurts team camaraderie and if guys are not good enough to contribute, we need to move them out and recruit better players. We need to change the culture in the locker room. The captains of the teams need to be the alpha dogs that don't mind getting in someone's grill and demanding they improve their efforts. I would look at moving out people like Derrick Moore and some of the GA's that have been around a long time and grown stale with the players.

The fans need to realize that this is going to take some time to implement and be supportive as long as they see progress and light at the end of the tunnel.

Go Jackets!

Who does Clipson not love to play? So, ugag loves to play a team who beat them 2 out of the last 4? Truthfully, they probably enjoyed playing every team on their schedule this year according to your standard. Miami also enjoyed playing all but their last 2 games this year (and least enjoyed playing us because they knew they should've lost that one). Duke, I'll give you. Losing to them the way we did was an indictment against us and a credit to Coach Cutcliffe.
Check the records and you'll see they own us and we are not gaining ground talent wise. So yes that is my standard. Duke has past us talent wise. The standard I'm using for that is on field reults. Is that ok?