Roof Out as DC

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
1. Are we sure they were well aware?
2. Is it possible that Ted went out with an extra measure of class, being positive toward staying with GT to the current recruits?

There's no way Roof would recruit kids on the premise that he would be their DC at Tech if he knew he was gone.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
See ya Ted. As a former tackling dummy for Ted, I can understand why we could never tackle. He would have us run upright straight to a cone while his LBs teed off on us. He wouldn’t allow any evasive maneuvers or even let us protect ourselves. Maybe that’s what our DBs and LBs have been expecting other teams to do all these years.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Boston college has better defenses than we do. More talent there? No

Wake Forest too
FWIW, this year App State and GT had 2 mutual opponents, Wake Forest and UGa. GT allowed 24 and 38, respectively. App State gave up 20 and 31 respectively.

I understand this is VERY facile, but with App State talent, Woody was one score a game better than Roof this year.

That's impressive to me, thats with less talent and playing those teams away too.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Roof is gone. Joined NC State's Coaching Staff as 10th Coach. Honestly, I'm happy about this, now i just hope we find a viable replacement who can take us where we need to go. Hope this doesn't affect recruiting too much.

That is too bad.

Ted is an excellent representative of the institute.

It seems aggressive play calling ie going for it on fourth down as a rule, leaves a young and developing defense in tenuous positions that cascade into easy scores from a short field...

We should play to a strength...our punter can flip the field. I love the ground and pound offense, NOBODY wants to play us (UCF) but we should consider matching it with a equally physical defense, a great field goal kicker and terrific punter.

How we got in the position we are in with our FG kickers is very disturbing...

Sorry for the vent...but I feel better for it...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Strong disagreement. If there’s one unit you can’t scheme around, it’s DL.
Not true, pre snap movement, stunts, slants, blitz with LB’s are all things you can do to maximize a players ability. The key is to confuse the OL with these things which will allow more free running guys on the DL. If they aren’t sure who they are blocking how is that not scheming around your DL?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So conceptually it's a 3-4, but with both outside linebackers walked up to the line of scrimmage so it's really more of a 5-2 with standup ends. Now, if they're playing a spread team, those OLB's can and will flex out into coverage.

The idea is that it's attack attack attack, all the time. The DL's will not be 2 gapping, they'll be shooting gaps, trying to blow stuff up in the backfield.

Frankly, I think you guys ahve really good personnel to run it.

You got me hyped man! Attack!

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
You got me hyped man! Attack!
I think the guys we have recruited actually make a 3-4 sound pretty intriguing... Dingle and Brant are tailor made to be inside of a 3-4, with guys like ASA, and maybe Kaleb Oliver on the outside...could be really interesting if we get a guy that runs an attacking 3-4.

Milwaukee

Banned
See ya Ted. As a former tackling dummy for Ted, I can understand why we could never tackle. He would have us run upright straight to a cone while his LBs teed off on us. He wouldn’t allow any evasive maneuvers or even let us protect ourselves. Maybe that’s what our DBs and LBs have been expecting other teams to do all these years.

That's insane if true.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Not true, pre snap movement, stunts, slants, blitz with LB’s are all things you can do to maximize a players ability. The key is to confuse the OL with these things which will allow more free running guys on the DL. If they aren’t sure who they are blocking how is that not scheming around your DL?
This. Dominant personnel on the DL is not a prerequisite to an overall successful defense. You need pretty much what we have on offense - personnel who fit into a scheme that can create pressure through mixing who is attacking and from what angle with the opponent unaware until the snap.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think the guys we have recruited actually make a 3-4 sound pretty intriguing... Dingle and Brant are tailor made to be inside of a 3-4, with guys like ASA, and maybe Kaleb Oliver on the outside...could be really interesting if we get a guy that runs an attacking 3-4.
IMO you want a little more speed from you ILB, guys like BJS and Henderson (with added size for Henderson). I do like the thought of Caleb Oliver being OLB if we could get him to about 240+

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Just playing a little “theatre of the mind” here, knowing that it can be a little dangerous.

I think a vast majority of sincere minded fans think CTR (and hopefully Sewak) needed to be replaced.

But wonder what if, just possibly, somehow what might have happened if um did not catch that deflected 4th down pass in the rain?

Just another win, or a season changing event?

The beauty of sports I suppose.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
With holding practically a given on every offensive play, spread offenses with burners everywhere and quarterbacks who can thread the needle these are perilous times for defensive coordinators. It is a tough way to make a living. Blitz and you run the risk of getting burned deep. Stay in zone and they pick you to death. Long gone are the days when a touchdown lead in the fourth quarter was better than a pond full of catfish.
Aren't all defenses in that same perilous situation? So, to be doing worse than the majority is still a major indictment, and so we should aim to be better on that side. If we're giving up 4 points/drive and 5 yards/play but everybody else is giving up 4.5 ppd and 5.3 ypp, then that means we're relatively good and probably winning a lot. It's a competition, and we were average-below average over Coach Roof's tenure. And, over the course of his career, we don't see much difference. He had two good years as a DC - his second at GT and his only one at Penn State when he had really good personnel. For us to have a defense whose success depends on great personnel is usually not going to work out for us with rare exceptions.

I think it's the right move, and I'm excited for the chance to be better. I'm excited for the chance to have a defense that will create negative plays and help our players to actually look like good players again. It might not happen, but at least now there's a chance.

I am definitely pro-Roof, because I respect him as a man. I think he was good for our kids overall (probably better than Tenuta honestly), and I hope our next DC is as well. I was hoping if something like this happened that we could keep him in another capacity, but that would've taken some drastic measures on his part, so I don't blame either side.

I think this is CPJ's thinking: I know what I have in Roof, and it's not likely to change. We're not likely to have a defense that can actually help us reach the top. I don't have a whole lot of time left in my career, so I'm going to give myself the best chance to get to the big show. With Roof, there's no chance; if I make a change, at least there's a chance. It might not work, but what do I have to lose. I have one goal and this is the last chance I have to reach it.

Some think he'll only coach for 3-4 more years. I don't think so, I'm thinking more like 10 years at least. CPJ is a football man and there's not going to be anything to change that. He's going to keep running his offense and it will continue to be successful as long as he has a few key pieces. Him getting holder won't change that either. If he retires, there's nothing else in life that will give him that satisfaction and fulfillment than doing what he's great at. Some of it will depend on what our program does. If he feels like our program just can't get over the top because of intrinsic qualities and he's still going 6-9 wins without a glimmer of hope to reach the big show, then he may retire earlier, but if he thinks there's any chance at all, then he'll keep on going until he just can't. And, I for one hope he does coach a lot longer with us and reaches some great heights as our program continues to try to push to keep us competitive, maybe even the big show.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Aren't all defenses in that same perilous situation? So, to be doing worse than the majority is still a major indictment, and so we should aim to be better on that side. If we're giving up 4 points/drive and 5 yards/play but everybody else is giving up 4.5 ppd and 5.3 ypp, then that means we're relatively good and probably winning a lot. It's a competition, and we were average-below average over Coach Roof's tenure. And, over the course of his career, we don't see much difference. He had two good years as a DC - his second at GT and his only one at Penn State when he had really good personnel. For us to have a defense whose success depends on great personnel is usually not going to work out for us with rare exceptions.

I think it's the right move, and I'm excited for the chance to be better. I'm excited for the chance to have a defense that will create negative plays and help our players to actually look like good players again. It might not happen, but at least now there's a chance.

I am definitely pro-Roof, because I respect him as a man. I think he was good for our kids overall (probably better than Tenuta honestly), and I hope our next DC is as well. I was hoping if something like this happened that we could keep him in another capacity, but that would've taken some drastic measures on his part, so I don't blame either side.

I think this is CPJ's thinking: I know what I have in Roof, and it's not likely to change. We're not likely to have a defense that can actually help us reach the top. I don't have a whole lot of time left in my career, so I'm going to give myself the best chance to get to the big show. With Roof, there's no chance; if I make a change, at least there's a chance. It might not work, but what do I have to lose. I have one goal and this is the last chance I have to reach it.

Some think he'll only coach for 3-4 more years. I don't think so, I'm thinking more like 10 years at least. CPJ is a football man and there's not going to be anything to change that. He's going to keep running his offense and it will continue to be successful as long as he has a few key pieces. Him getting holder won't change that either. If he retires, there's nothing else in life that will give him that satisfaction and fulfillment than doing what he's great at. Some of it will depend on what our program does. If he feels like our program just can't get over the top because of intrinsic qualities and he's still going 6-9 wins without a glimmer of hope to reach the big show, then he may retire earlier, but if he thinks there's any chance at all, then he'll keep on going until he just can't. And, I for one hope he does coach a lot longer with us and reaches some great heights as our program continues to try to push to keep us competitive, maybe even the big show.
If CPJ coaches at GT another 7-10 years and with Tstan, added staff, better facilities ect, and if we can get to a top 25-30 recruiting class on a consistent basis because of these added things. IMO we will be making multiple more appearances in the ACCCG, top 25 team consistently, and a chance at the playoffs, especially if they make it 8 teams.

That is too bad.

Ted is an excellent representative of the institute.

It seems aggressive play calling ie going for it on fourth down as a rule, leaves a young and developing defense in tenuous positions that cascade into easy scores from a short field...

We should play to a strength...our punter can flip the field. I love the ground and pound offense, NOBODY wants to play us (UCF) but we should consider matching it with a equally physical defense, a great field goal kicker and terrific punter.

How we got in the position we are in with our FG kickers is very disturbing...

Sorry for the vent...but I feel better for it...
I know several teams that love to play tech. Duke, Clipson, ugag, da u, and the list is growing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh ****ing PLEASE yes! All I want once in my life is to see Paul Johnson's offense paired up with a hyper aggressive attacking defense with high major athletes.

Again and again and again and again defenses at Georgia Tech have been passive read and react flow and pursue defenses.

Just for once I want to see what it looks like to have an offense and defense that puts a ton of pressure on the other Squad.

Woody runs an attacking slant 50, which is somewhat akin to **** lebeau's old twisting stunting attacking Pittsburgh defenses. This is not Al grohs catch and shed 3/4.

I've been pounding the table for a defense that's based out of 3-4 for years now....so to hear that we could potentially have a defense rooted in a 34 defense makes me happy.

Just never made sense to me to field a defense that required MORE DLs when DL recruiting has been a problem for GT. Finding long guys that are athletic and can run is MUCH easier for GT than finding war daddy DLs. I'm not a rocket scientist, and I don't play one on TV, but if that's the ingredients you're working with, you need to find a scheme that takes advantage of it.

Good to hear it could come to fruition.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I know several teams that love to play tech. Duke, Clipson, ugag, da u, and the list is growing.
Who does Clipson not love to play? So, ugag loves to play a team who beat them 2 out of the last 4? Truthfully, they probably enjoyed playing every team on their schedule this year according to your standard. Miami also enjoyed playing all but their last 2 games this year (and least enjoyed playing us because they knew they should've lost that one). Duke, I'll give you. Losing to them the way we did was an indictment against us and a credit to Coach Cutcliffe.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
There's no way Roof would recruit kids on the premise that he would be their DC at Tech if he knew he was gone.
That wasn't quite what I was thinking. More along the lines of, "I'm taking another job, but GT is still a great Institution. So you should do what's best for you, and that could still be GT." NCSt isn't really a big competitor with us in recruiting anyway, so that wouldn't be much of a conflict of interest. Our recruits probably weren't in play with NCSt (from both sides) anyway.